The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

some contemporary stuff:

Adam Rogers: Time and the infinite and Sight

Jonathan Kreisberg: Trioing

Peter Bernstein: Monk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Z
    Everything Mr. Beaumont said just add Joe Pass live at Dontes.
    nice LP. Dante's i think it was?

oops, nope it was donte's.

i think there was a tune about donte's inferno or something.
    Last edited by fumblefingers; 06-08-2010 at 12:05 AM.

'Reflections' by Kurt Rosenwinkel is absolutely incredible! My favorite right now. Beautiful standards playing but with their modern flair.
    Last edited by jalofnotrade; 09-24-2010 at 05:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey Thanks for all the album suggestions on Guitar/Organ music!!! Appreciated! Sorry for the late response!!!!!!

User Info Menu

I was never a huge fan of trio recordings. I don't particularly want to hear the guitar player improvise on every tune. I prefer to spread it out. Maybe have one or two horn players. I had a Mark Elf trio CD years ago. It was just all too much. Holdsworth's All Night Wrong is also too nuch. There needs to be a break from having one instrument do all the improvising. I can only listen to so much guitar.

User Info Menu

Hi Jaffey. I agree with you to a point. But, I just love those Guitar/Organ/Drums albums. I would also like to her that G/O/D trio's with horns that would be interesting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jaffey
    I was never a huge fan of trio recordings. I don't particularly want to hear the guitar player improvise on every tune. I prefer to spread it out. Maybe have one or two horn players. I had a Mark Elf trio CD years ago. It was just all too much. Holdsworth's All Night Wrong is also too nuch. There needs to be a break from having one instrument do all the improvising. I can only listen to so much guitar.
    After the Rain by JM is a masterpiece. only IMO of course.

User Info Menu

Doug Raney - Guitar Guitar Guitar

Sheryl Bailey - The Sheryl Bailey Three & The Power of Three

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by czgibson
    I'm a big fan of small group recordings with guitar, particularly trios of guitar, bass and drums. There's usually lots of room for chord-melody playing in amongst the lines, and that type of thing gets my attention right away. Bireli Lagrene's 'Standards' album is a wonderful example of the kind of thing I mean.

Can anyone recommend other good trio albums to check out?
    I like John Scofield's earlier trio w/ Adam Nussbaum and Steve Swallow. Awesome stuff. John Abercrombie's trio w/ Marc Johnson and Peter Erskine was also fantastic.

PJ

User Info Menu

Barney Kessel - the Poll Winners.(a must have)
    (and the same year, always with S. Manne and R. Brown : Sonny Rollins - Way West Out .)

Kurt Rosenwinkel - East Coast Love Affair (w/avishai cohen)
    Kurt Rosenwinkel - Reflexions

Grant Green - green Street.

User Info Menu

Yes, Green Street by Grant Green is my favorite guitar trio album. His tone is just indescribable, and the standards and originals are well showcased.

Never heard, Jim Hall Trio "Circles", can someone tell me more about this album?

User Info Menu

[Never heard, Jim Hall Trio "Circles", can someone tell me more about this album?[/quote]

Yep...definitely one of Jim's greatest, with Don Thompson (bass, piano) and Terry Clarke (dr). Absolutely wonderful, great tunes and interaction, a guitar tone to die for...and the title track is one of the best unknown Jazz ballads imho...

User Info Menu

Where can I purchase it? It's not on iTunes and amazon has it for like $45, why so much? Because it's rare?

User Info Menu

if you don't mind downloading (legally, that is), you could try this....

The Jim Hall Trio mp3s, The Jim Hall Trio music downloads, The Jim Hall Trio songs from eMusic.com

And here's a taster..the title track I mentioned above..

User Info Menu

I saw Kenny Burrell in a trio format back in the mid-sixties on a Sunday afternoon at Lenny's on the Turnpike north of Boston. He was great, but they stuck us way over in a corner with no real view of the performers, because we were too young to drink!

User Info Menu

Thanks, Ibanez.

I just did some research and Circles is combined with another album of his called All Across the City, called Storytellers.

User Info Menu

I typed in "Jazz Guitar Trios", & this site popped up....cool. I think this might be my lucky day!

User Info Menu

Gilad Hekselman !!!!! I didn't see him listed.