The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 49

User Info Menu

Bill is coming to New Orleans in the early part of May. He will be playing a show at Snug Harbor on Frenchman Steet in the Quarters.

If anybody near New Orleans, there you go.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like Bill. I have a friend in New Orleans too. I'll tell her about the show.

I was just listening to Frisell's version of The Days Of Wine And Roses.

User Info Menu

I've heard him on several albums. I like it. Any insights on his musical/guitar approach?

User Info Menu

Wish I could make that show. I've been listening to "Beautiful Dreamers" a lot lately.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyPac
    I've heard him on several albums. I like it. Any insights on his musical/guitar approach?
    Bill himself says that, while he of course knows how to play changes, he finds inspiration in the shed by playing the melody of the tune over and over and over again until it becomes like second skin to him.

User Info Menu

I am certainly among the biggest Bill Frisell fans anywhere. Drove to Santa Barbara in February just to hear him and the Beautiful Dreamers (Sco was there too) and to UCLA a few weeks ago to hear him do silent movie soundtracks to some animations and Buster Keaton films. Both shows were wonderful and amazing.

"Good Dog, Happy Man" is among my favorite recordings by anyone anywhere ever.

User Info Menu

Love the guy. I try to see him whenever he's in the Bay Area. I had "Beautiful Dreamers" on in my car on my way home from work tonight!

User Info Menu

I love Bill Frisell & his music. He seems like such an honest fellow, & it comes through his playing.
    Last edited by Dark Star; 04-19-2011 at 05:03 AM.

User Info Menu

Anyone game to TAB out some signature BF licks here?

User Info Menu

I've always liked the albums I've heard with more of a country sound to them. His album "Nashville" is one of my favorite lp's ever - although I think I like the dobro player more than anything....

here's one of the tracks live.....

also chooses some really interesting songs to cover....

this has always been one of my favorite John Hiatt tunes....

Yep. I like Bill Frisell. I'm not sure, technically, why but he's one of the few 'modern' players I really dig.

User Info Menu

Bill is one of my favorite players of all time. I definitely miss the volume pedal/bridge humbucker Bill though. I don't like his sound w/ a Tele as much as his older sound. Anyone agree? He is still wonderful regardless.

PJ

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    I am certainly among the biggest Bill Frisell fans anywhere. Drove to Santa Barbara in February just to hear him and the Beautiful Dreamers (Sco was there too) and to UCLA a few weeks ago to hear him do silent movie soundtracks to some animations and Buster Keaton films. Both shows were wonderful and amazing.

"Good Dog, Happy Man" is among my favorite recordings by anyone anywhere ever.
    I was at the UCLA show! Sat in the very front row, first time I ever saw him live as well as the first time I ever saw Buster Keaton films, it was a phenomenal show.

Few seconds before I saw this thread I put on "Rambler" from the album of the same name, which is probably my favorite Frisell record. Great song to listen to first thing in the morning, you know?

User Info Menu

Man, I was probably looking at the back of your head! ;-)

I was in the second row (center section, on the aisle, right side)! The row was DD or EE, but for some reason it was the second row. (Maybe they removed some rows so people could still look up and see the screen? I don't know.) Best seats I've ever had for a show!

I'll have to check out Rambler. I've got maybe 15 CDs by Bill, but not that one. Thanks for the tip, Extrapolation.

These aren't my snaps, but maybe they'll bring back some memories for you:

Last edited by Flat; 05-12-2011 at 06:34 PM.

User Info Menu

UCLA's Royce Hall guys?

i saw Johnny Mac there on 12/1 last year. nice venue.

User Info Menu

Yeah, that's the place. I agree. Great venue; a beautiful, classic building. One of my favorite places in L.A. to see a show. (Not so many places in town anymore, especially after the Jazz Bakery lost its lease.)

I missed McLaughlin's show this time, but saw him there a few years ago with some great Indian players. Steve Vai was sitting down the row from me.
    Last edited by Flat; 05-12-2011 at 11:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Well, we're past the early part of May--we got any members that went to the show?

Bil's a great player--one of the most unique voices in jazz, and in all of "guitardom."

User Info Menu

Oh Yeah! He has such a huge range work, from angular abstract to melodic folksie tunes. Love to watch him play. The video of "Shenandoah" from his "Solos" DVD is awe-inspiring.

User Info Menu

i've seen Frissel perform several times. It is always a great treat, he's a consumate performer, not an entertainer by any means but the music is always powerful.

recently i picked up a solo guitar dvd of a show that is recorded in toronto called Jazz: the solo sessions where Bill plays a bunch of music using a looper and all his little toys and it's really something else. there are a few youtube videos kicking around of cuts from it, there's also some nice interview footage on it also.

anyway don't miss a chance to go see him live, it's really awesome

User Info Menu

I just picked up his latest last week. It's great:

Bill Frisell: Sign of Life - Music for 858 Quartet

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reminder about Mr. Frisell.

I actually used to listen to him a lot about ten years ago.

I've always found him to be extremely tasteful and really in a class all his own as a guitarist. He knows his stuff and can do a lot but really has the least machismo of any (good) guitarist I've ever heard.

I think of him as being very, very unique. So musical and tasteful, very direct and not at all concerned with all the bullshit we guitarists usually get caught up with.

Revisiting some of his music in past years I've been left feeing a little dry, perhaps feeling like there is such a thing as "too tasteful" and maybe for instrumental music my personal tastes need a little flash or pizazz to hold my interest.

But I know some heavy guys really look up to him so maybe I'll use this thread as a cue to do some listening. I have a copy of one of the Elvin/Holland acoustic CDs and honestly the last few times I've tried listening to it I couldn't stand it - too smooth!

User Info Menu

Well, they've put up the dates for the London Jazz Festival and I'm still deciding whether I can afford to see Mr. Frisell. Have already committed myself to the Steve Swallow Quintet double header with Gwilym Simcock's Impossible Gentlemen, the latter band featuring Mike Walker WHO CONTRIBUTES TO THIS VERY FORUM!! and is a great player - well, not bad for a Manc, anyway.

Anybody want to convince me regarding the Frisell 858 quartet gig??
    Last edited by mangotango; 05-13-2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: should never type after a beer at lunchtime.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mangotango
    Well, they've put up the dates for the London Jazz Festival and I'm still deciding whether I can afford to see Mr. Frisell. Have allready committed myself to the Steve Swallow Quintet double header with Gwilym Simcock's Impossible Gentlemen, the latter band featuring Mike Walker WHO CONTRIBUTES TO THIS VERY FORUM!! and is a great player - well, not bad for a Manc, anyway.

Anybody want to convince me regarding the Frisell 858 outfit gig??
    Pick up the CD I mention above and see if you dig them.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    Man, I was probably looking at the back of your head! ;-)

I was in the second row (center section, on the aisle, right side)! The row was DD or EE, but for some reason it was the second row. (Maybe they removed some rows so people could still look up and see the screen? I don't know.) Best seats I've ever had for a show!

I'll have to check out Rambler. I've got maybe 15 CDs by Bill, but not that one. Thanks for the tip, Extrapolation.

These aren't my snaps, but maybe they'll bring back some memories for you
    Ah yes, Frisell has such impeccable touch and command, he can get any sound he wants out of that Tele, it's ridiculous.

I assume you saw Remember Shakti at UCLA, that's awesome that Steve Vai was sitting near you, I'd have asked him for a copy of the transcription of Zappa's solo on "Inca Roads" that he apparently wrote out from memory on a bus one day. I love that solo.

User Info Menu

Love his music. I'm in the process of Transcribing a couple tunes. I would love to have the command he has. It's like he always sounds like himself, but he never gets in the way of the tune like a lot of other players do.

User Info Menu

Since this thread came up last month, I've been listening to his album 'Nashville' several times a week - not a bad tune on it, although the two tracks with the vocals aren't as good. The couple of tracks with the core trio - Frisell, Jerry Douglas on dobro, and Viktor Krauss on bass - are the best, IMO.... just phenomenal group improv. I like it more every time I listen to it.....