The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 43 of 43

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum, GMNezzo. Your comment is quite blunt for a first post! You know, one nice thing about this forum is that it is a friendly one and courtesy is foremost.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GMNezzo
    What's that big a deal with those songs, you're a guitarist with a big experience, why don't you tab it by ear?
    Hi GMNezzo and welcome to the forum. I'm the guy who sent you the message on You Tube. I could work it out, but I just figured, if someone else has already done it, then it would save time.

Check out the rest of this forum. There is plenty of great stuff here.

I'm not that good and I haven't claimed to be - my ear isn't bad on single string solos, but it sucks in identifying chords. I'm still young-ish and learning!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldsouth
    I'm not that good and I haven't claimed to be - my ear isn't bad on single string solos, but it sucks in identifying chords. I'm still young-ish and learning!
    I've already worked out the song on guitar, I'm just very poor at writing the correct time. With working out the chords, if you have some knowledge of chord progressions, then you just pick a note from the chord and use trial and error. For instance, in bars 11 and 12 of many songs you know there will be a dom7 leading back to the tonic. So then you just try different inversions of 7ths, 9ths, 13ths to get the right one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Lang
    Welcome to the forum, GMNezzo. Your comment is quite blunt for a first post! You know, one nice thing about this forum is that it is a friendly one and courtesy is foremost.
    It was a simple question, not an irony, or a judgement. And was i impolite with that? How?

User Info Menu

Well, i'm on the same level, but 3 days of listening and stubborness gave good results. I know my transcription is not 100% accurate, but it sounds good, i think

User Info Menu

GMNezzo, your comment seemed dismissive, at least it is the way it appeared to me. There is of course always a danger that something will not come across as intended on forums, especially when the language used is not someone's first language. I apologize if I misunderstood the meaning of your comment.

User Info Menu

Download
    there is some Eddie Lang here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jseaberry
    Download
    there is some Eddie Lang here.
    Thanks for the information buddy.

Just an update - still working on the project... getting help from all over the world! It is becoming a much bigger project than expected and should be really something when finished!

User Info Menu

Old-looking forward to the finished product

User Info Menu

Just an update - still working on the project... getting help from all over the world! It is becoming a much bigger project than expected and should be really something when finished!
    I'll be waiting

+1 on the waiting. This is a great project! Thank you to everyone involved. I'm more of a poster on the TDPRI and just bounce over here on occasion to lurk, but this piqued my excitement.

User Info Menu

I am compiling a collection of Eddie Lang Transcriptions. He was, perhaps, the most important figure in jazz guitar history but very little is available - a few tunes in Masters of the Plectrum Guitar and a few in Ivor Miarants Great Guitarists (which appears to have gone out of print?). The only book I've come across dedicated to transcribing his work was by Dave Berend (who also did books on his style, which are available at DjangoBooks.com) publishe din 1934 - it is long out of print and nearly impossible to find.

Thanks to help from friends in the US, France and Canada, I should soon have a collection of about 10 tunes. Once compiled, I'll gladly provide these to the good folks here.

I still need "Eddie's Twister", "Wild Dog" and "Wild Cat" to cover the basics.

Can anyone help?

Did you by any chance finish the compilation? If you did will you post it?

User Info Menu

Also I have some picking my way already transcribed on guitarpro to go along with the PDF score

Just an update - I got a warning on the copyright issues I've passed my work on to a friend in Europe, where such problems are less of an issue. If and when he completes it, I'll post the link here. I guess this should serve as a reminder that there is no expectation of privacy on the internet... not that I thought there would be, I just thought that since no one cared enough to publish the old transcriptions, that no one cared..... guess I was wrong.

User Info Menu

"if and when he completes it"?
    "a friend in Europe"?
    Oh no!!!!!

User Info Menu

Hello oldsouth,

it's been a while since you've posted your message, but I just found it because I am desperately seeking a transcription of "In de ruff". Can you help me out?
    Is there a book with it which I can buy?

Kind regards,

Kosho