The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 211

User Info Menu

That is my honest opinion I have formed after having listened to many of his recordings. He was nowhere near the player that Clifford Brown or Baker were. In fact, on top of rather mediocre I find alot of his playing annoying and not in sync with everyone else around him.

I think his true talent lied in assembling a band as well as composing. The cat could put a band together like no one else on earth, but he couldn't even hang with the fellas he hired.

I spoke to Mr. Paul Bley about this when I had the pleasure of meeting him, and he told me that Miles Davis was nothing more than a sit in who turned famous because he was classically trained and could compose well. To my surprise, he said alot of cats who came up during the same time didn't think an awful lot of him either.

What do you guys think about this? Am I the only one or are there others?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

funny you post that I was watching a youtube of his group with carter shorter hancock williams, playing yesterday. Mile's solo stunk.

the band members looked they would rather be anywhere else.

yes, its definitely uncool to say, but I agree completely.

I don't like his playing, he needed to practice, feeble tone, bad chops, uninventive solos.

listen to some of the recordings with him in Charlie Parker's group, live at the royal roost, and such.

I actually can't listen to those, cause as brilliant as charlie is, as soon as he stops, I have to turn it off, can't stand mile's playing.

I think when people are being honest, they said precisely what you said, that he put a band together.

for technique, tone, everything, lots of trumpet players are /were a lot better than him.

There are some jazz guitar players around right now, that are in the same position, widely loved, but not very good.

there are posters at this forum, that are a lot better than some of the big names.

don't understand why this is.

User Info Menu

He had such a long career & varied styles that I guess a good question to ask would be, Which Miles Davis was mediocre?

Baltar Hornbeek Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by markf
    there are posters at this forum, that are a lot better than some of the big names.

don't understand why this is.
    because the big names are big communicators. blessed with means and motive.

User Info Menu

I think the thread would better be titled "mediocre trumpet player." I think "mediocre" is harsh: he played some great solos and had a flair for making melodies sing. Granted, he played a lot of 'cracked' notes and I never bought the argument that they were all intentional.

Writing tunes is a *huge* gift, though, and Miles wrote a nice chunk of the active repertoire. And he lead more great bands than any one else in jazz history. He also moved jazz in new directions more than once, or twice, or even three times. (I didn't *like* all those directions, but I've got to give the man his due for innovation.)

User Info Menu

Miles said, "it's hard to play slow." That said, I prefer Chet.

User Info Menu

Miles was not a great trumpet player and I don't think anyone will dispute that.

He had the fortunate timing to be associated with some great ones like Charlie Parker, Dizzy. Just the close association with those guys burnished Miles rep and got him noticed.

In a similar way many later musicians had the good timing to play in Miles bands like Scofield, Corea, Coltrane, etc.

However Miles "greatness" was not as a technician but as an organizer of great bands and composer of great songs. He certainly had some talented players in his bands.

So Miles is in jazz heaven and deservedly so.
    Last edited by Drumbler; 02-16-2011 at 04:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    Miles was not a great trumpet player and I don't think anyone will dispute that.
    He wasn't a great trumpet player in the same way that John Lennon wasn't a great guitar player. That being said, like Lennon, he was a force to be reckoned with. And a great composer. And a man of his times. And he played with great emotion.

There are plenty of people who can burn through rhythm changes in their PJs (or sometimes worse), film it with a shitty camera, and post it on youtube. Very few of them will ever change music. It's not always about who has the best chops. Plenty of guys you've never heard of can play circles around plenty of other guys you've never heard of. Most, if not all, you will never know exist.

Miles changed jazz and the way we think about jazz. He was great.
    Last edited by paynow; 02-16-2011 at 04:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Miles is great on Sketches of Spain, right? Or am I deluded?

User Info Menu

What's "mediocre?" His chops? His dexterity? His speed?

Sure. He'd have been the first to tell you.

But he was also brilliant in a lot of areas. Transcribe that solo on "So What." your not going to find many better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paynow
    He wasn't a great trumpet player in the same way that John Lennon wasn't a great guitar player. That being said, like Lennon, he was a force to be reckoned with. And a great composer. And a man of his times.

There are plenty of people who can burn through rhythm changes in their PJs (or sometimes worse), film it with a shitty camera, and post it on youtube. Very few of them will ever change music. It's not always about who has the best chops. Plenty of guys you've never heard of can play circles around plenty of other guys you've never heard of. Most, if not all, you will never know exist.

+1 well put

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Great technically?

Dizzy Gillespie was great technically for example.

The comparison to John Lennon as a technician is appropriate.
    Last edited by Drumbler; 02-16-2011 at 04:34 PM.

User Info Menu

So are we talking about chops? If you play slowly or not a lot of notes, then you're not technically proficient? It can't be that banal, can it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stackabones
    So are we talking about chops? If you play slowly or not a lot of notes, then you're not technically proficient? It can't be that banal, can it?
    Yes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stackabones
    I think that good chops is definitely an important part of being a good instrumentalist. specially in jazz. Keith Jarrett, Oscar Peterson, John Mclaughlin, etc. etc.

If that's all a player has, then yes the music would be boring.

I suppose there are a few highly regarded (by some people) jazz players that have bad chops. I don't mind that. But it's not the norm in jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markf
    I think that good chops is definitely an important part of being a good instrumentalist. specially in jazz. Keith Jarrett, Oscar Peterson, John Mclaughlin, etc. etc.

If that's all a player has, then yes the music would be boring.

I suppose there are a few highly regarded (by some people) jazz players that have bad chops. I don't mind that. But it's not the norm in jazz.
    Doesn't seem to revolve around the concept of soloing & improvisation rather than the ability to swing? Of course we recognize Freddie Green as being a monster, but he's on a very short list of jazzmen who aren't known for their soloing chops.

Again, bad chops means you can't play fast? It can't be that silly & mundane, but maybe it is? Are we just like the metal shredders? Make those fingers wiggle and we're impressed!

I'd guess that compositional chops would have to count for something, too. At least, let's hope so.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by musicjohnny
    I spoke to Mr. Paul Bley about this when I had the pleasure of meeting him, and he told me that Miles Davis was nothing more than a sit in who turned famous because he was classically trained and could compose well. To my surprise, he said alot of cats who came up during the same time didn't think an awful lot of him either.
    I don't buy this. With all due respect to Paul Bley, I've read tons of interviews with tons of jazz artists, and many of them thought Miles was the shit (not "shit", "THE shit"). I don't want to get into the debate about Miles as a musician (since I'm one of those "Miles is GOD" people)... however, in terms of other famous musicians having poor opinions of Miles, I've never read or heard anything to this effect. I've heard and read of people dismissing his fusion period onwards, but never his entire career as a musician. Charlie Parker dug Miles' playing (according to Miles...however, he was in Parker's band for a number of years, so why should we think otherwise?), Dizzy did as well (and has specifically said so in interviews)...Duke Ellington wanted Miles to join his band at one point...everyone who was ever in Miles' bands from the mid 50s onwards have only GREAT things to say about him (and that list constitutes the majority of big names in jazz since the 50's)...Mingus thought he was great as well...Freddie Hubbard said that Miles could "really play", which was a statement he made in an interview without even being asked about Miles at all... etc. These are just off the top of my head right now, but with some digging I could find some more specific examples.
    Last edited by max_power; 02-16-2011 at 05:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Duke Ellington wasn't the greatest piano player.

Miles wasn't the greatest trumpet player.

John Lennon wasn't the greatest guitar player.

But these guys are legends. They had personality and charisma and musical talent.

These guys were songwriters.
    Last edited by Drumbler; 02-16-2011 at 05:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paynow
    He wasn't a great trumpet player in the same way that John Lennon wasn't a great guitar player. That being said, like Lennon, he was a force to be reckoned with. And a great composer. And a man of his times. And he played with great emotion.

Miles changed jazz and the way we think about jazz. He was great.
    Yes, I agree completely. God bless Miles Davis! & a snappy dresser, too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    Duke Ellington wasn't the greatest piano player.

Miles wasn't the greatest trumpet player.

John Lennon wasn't the greatest guitar player.

But these guys are legends. They had personality and charisma and musical talent.
    And they wrote great tunes, too.

User Info Menu

Miles Davis played with a sound that was as close to a human voice as anyone. Like Chet Baker, they both found an individual voice within technical limitations far greater than Clifford Brown. Jim Hall has less physical prowess than Tal Farlow but they both found a way to express themselves within their abilities.What Miles can teach about note placement and use of space is as important as anything but only if you care about such matters. His contributions have helped shape what we think about jazz today. And yes those amazing bands do deserve much credit and praise.

User Info Menu

Miles taught me that the space between the notes was just as important as the notes themselves.

What other established jazz god would have hired John McLaughlin?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by musicjohnny

What do you guys think about this? Am I the only one or are there others?
    I dig Miles!

Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Carlos Santana and many others thought highly enough of Miles to appear in the documentary about him. You can have Paul Bley, I'll stick with those cats!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Banksia
    Miles taught me that the space between the notes was just as important as the notes themselves.
    Ain't that the truth!

Of course, nowadays the primary concern is with the space between the notes belonging to this or that mode.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    A+
    I suffer from this same delusion. Nice, isn't it?
    Yes, there are many horrors out there too. Any candidates for 'perfection'? Which 'god' did not have feet of clay, at any time, throughout their career? I can't think of many.
    Listening to 'Sketches', I have trouble remembering that there is no guitar at all in there. Somehow I hear them 'implied'. (Damn, I think I'm turning into Reg..! )