The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Posts 201 to 211 of 211

User Info Menu

The quality of a person's art is based on how well the relevant interests are met by an artist or work of art, of which technique is only one relevant interest. No one person's opinion of how well he likes an artist's aesthetic is relevant in a discussion of an artist's, or his work's, "goodness."

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FatJeff
    It was pointed out to me recently that Miles never played anything with Coltrane changes in it. Whether it just didn't resonate with him, or it was too hard, we'll probably never know.
    I take it it's a joke.

User Info Menu

It was pointed out to me recently that Miles never played anything with Coltrane changes in it. Whether it just didn't resonate with him, or it was too hard, we'll probably never know.
    Oh, if anything Miles knew his music theory and harmony thoroughly, so he should be able to negotiate Coltrane changes if he wanted - his way of course (I doubt he'd ever do anything other than his way).

User Info Menu

if a reluctance to play Giant Steps shows a lack of competence, that disqualifies about 95% of all jazz masters. most of them are more interested in making music than practicing something that was written as an exercise.

the stuff played on "4 and more" is 10x more impressive and musically rich than any version of giant steps i have ever heard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sphere
    I take it it's a joke.
    No, it was a serious comment - and as far as I know, true.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mattymel
    if a reluctance to play Giant Steps shows a lack of competence, that disqualifies about 95% of all jazz masters. most of them are more interested in making music than practicing something that was written as an exercise.

the stuff played on "4 and more" is 10x more impressive and musically rich than any version of giant steps i have ever heard.
    I heard a recording of a John Scofield clinic in which he said, "I don't play Giant Steps... it's too hard!"

User Info Menu

A good musician can play on any changes and make it sound good. Now when you compare the way Miles played "So What" with McCoy Tyners playing on "Impressions" you'd have a hard time judging who's the better improvisor.
    These two players give the same set of changes completely different character. Both impressive in their own ways. Besides, I see no reason to compare those performances as they are radically different though they're the same changes. I've heard cats play Giant Steps really slow and have been more impressed by that than many of the ego stroking 300+ bpm solos that some people feel compelled to play.

In fact, I can't believe we're even having this discussion. I'll enjoy Miles' music and no trolls can convince me that he wasn't a genius.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AmundLauritzen
    A good musician can play on any changes and make it sound good.
    Disagree, have you ever heard Pavarotti sing some melisma over "The Thrill is Gone"? You can YouTube it for the horror/comedy value.

User Info Menu

yikes

User Info Menu

seriously?

trane doesnt even play anything on giant steps that isnt some rehashed 1235 inversions...impressive from a technical standpoint? yes. musically? who really cares unless you are into jazz merit badges...if tommy F. cant hang, i dont really care other than as some NYC type macho BS.

if that what gets you off that fine, but id rather hear somebody bring a non musician to tears with one note. though ive heard lovano play 26-2 and pretty much school trane on his own exercise, just saying...

User Info Menu

Playing Coltrane changes in neither a necessity nor a measure of being a jazz artist. Plenty of greats never played anything with those changes. As a matter of fact, Coltrane recorded relatively little of them (aside from being used as subs). Have you ever heard him play Giant Steps live?