The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

I guess I have always considered winds to be the most "vocal-esque" of the instruments...although that is hard to qualify with a vox or wow-wow effect on guitar or a hat mute on brass. Still I am not sure a hard-reed open mouthpiece combo gives you a "Voice-like" effect at all, either in an obvious or subtle way. I am not sure the Jazz world really needs a guitarist (or ANOTHER) guitarist doing "sheets of sound". Though Bill Frisell has an interesting take on that idea with the way he layers his sound....Come to that has any jazz guitarist ever used a wow-wow pedal in a subtle way to emulate the way a trumpeter might use a hat mute? That could be fun with a walking bass. Though...perhaps timing the wow to effect the bass and not the chord could be problematic....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJohnson@noirmusic.
    You get a lot of attitude being a horn player who doesn't "get" Coltrane. Here is why...

Yes indeed.

People seem to have a need for "absolutes".

How many times have I heard?:

"Jimi Hendrix was the greatest"

-Compared to who, a 15 year old?

I suppose in the sports world, the term "greatest" might actually be determined with statistics.

Record/CD sales certainly are not a determination of "greatness" however, considering the bulk of music sales today is crap-hop. Even in "jazz", certainly Boney James outsells Eric Alexander.

"Something's popularity is usually its own worst argument." Especially true in America.

As for Coltrane, I'll take Brecker's version of "Impressions" any day.

Brecker's tone was about as perfect as I've ever heard.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJohnson@noirmusic.
    I guess I have always considered winds to be the most "vocal-esque" of the instruments...although that is hard to qualify with a vox or wow-wow effect on guitar or a hat mute on brass. Still I am not sure a hard-reed open mouthpiece combo gives you a "Voice-like" effect at all, either in an obvious or subtle way. I am not sure the Jazz world really needs a guitarist (or ANOTHER) guitarist doing "sheets of sound". Though Bill Frisell has an interesting take on that idea with the way he layers his sound....Come to that has any jazz guitarist ever used a wow-wow pedal in a subtle way to emulate the way a trumpeter might use a hat mute? That could be fun with a walking bass. Though...perhaps timing the wow to effect the bass and not the chord could be problematic....

Frampton should hook up an L5 to his voicebag thing.

"L5 Comes Alive!"

I can just see it now :}