The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 46 of 46

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    Interesting that no one since Coltrane has been mentioned. ...
    I noticed that too. Maybe because jazz hasn't been such an "important" music form since then. Maybe because there have been fewer "superstars" and more just generally great players. Or maybe we need some historical perspective to gauge influence. IDK.

Oh, wait...Kenny G.
    (Sigh) I knew I'd end up regretting it.

Peace,
    Kevin
    Last edited by ksjazzguitar; 11-30-2010 at 11:18 PM. Reason: typo

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

As far as jazz influences, here are mine; Santana, Miles Davis, and Al Di Miola.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dr. frums
    As far as jazz influences, here are mine; Santana, Miles Davis, and Al Di Miola.

With all due respect, Carlos and Al are mis-categorized my friend. I believe that they would not argue. At least Carlos that is.

User Info Menu

Interesting that no one since Coltrane has been mentioned.

As far as I can note from the posts.

No one influential since 50 years ago? Interesting.
    I may be mistaken, but I can't think of anyone who has had a profound impact on the jazz scene as a whole since that era. There have certainly been influential musicians since then, but not to the same extent that guys like Coltrane, Miles, Bird etc had.

Quote Originally Posted by max_power
    I may be mistaken, but I can't think of anyone who has had a profound impact on the jazz scene as a whole since that era. There have certainly been influential musicians since then, but not to the same extent that guys like Coltrane, Miles, Bird etc had.
    I agree.

There have certainly been tremendous musicians since that time. Many, many great artists.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by max_power
    that's my first thought too. but since 1965 we also have:

Herbie and Chick,
    Wayne S and Michael B,
    Jaco and Stanley C,
    Billy Cobham,
    and on guitar - Wes, George, John, and Pat.

User Info Menu

Gosh folks, Miles continued to be influential long after Trane died, so it's not like Trane was the last great influence of jazz 50 years ago. Miles is still influencing us through all his ex-sidemen. Shorter, Herbie, DeJohnette, Holland, Chick, Liebman, Scofield, etc. Shorter is considered by many to be jazz's greatest composer. Weather Report is considered one of the greatest bands in the history of jazz, so Shorter's influence has been very strong. Remember that skinny electric bassist who used to work for him?

User Info Menu

I say these three:

Louie Armstrong

Miles Davis

Wes Montgomery

BTW Wes' influence can be heard on smooth or contemporary jazz stations on a daily basis. He is still huge for influencing what most non-musicians think is Jazz.

I could include the charlies, e.g., Parker and Christian, but bop and swing are not really played anymore. Both tragically died before their influence could gather momentum. Miles is included because he was modal before Coltrane, and he stretched pop music and hip-hop before he died.

Louis Armstrong was huge because had the biggest sound and personality. He almost single handedly pushed jazz on the world music stage.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by qblue
    I say these three:

Louie Armstrong

Miles Davis

Wes Montgomery

BTW Wes' influence can be heard on smooth or contemporary jazz stations on a daily basis. He is still huge for influencing what most non-musicians think is Jazz.

I could include the charlies, e.g., Parker and Christian, but bop and swing are not really played anymore. Both tragically died before their influence could gather momentum. Miles is included because he was modal before Coltrane, and he stretched pop music and hip-hop before he died.

Louis Armstrong was huge because had the biggest sound and personality. He almost single handedly pushed jazz on the world music stage.

sure but Charlie influenced Wes, and "every other electric guitarist since - whether they know it or not" (Kessel). so....

also, smooth jazz almost died recently. i don't rermenver the details but there was a large radio cancellation. it affected Ritenour and all the other smoothies.

and, some would say it ain't really jazz. some would say it doesn't matter because it's crap, and that if smooth was ALL that Wes had done he would not have become the historical player that he is.

some would say, but not me as far as you know.

User Info Menu

louis armstrong
    charlie parker
    billie holiday
    miles davis
    thelonious monk
    chet baker

Baltar Hornbeek Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by derek
    Most influencial? That is an easy one imo. Louie Armstrong is by far the most influencial jazz musician to ever live. I don't think it is debatable.
    Yep, and a great influence for use of the green leaf. Smoke it up!

User Info Menu

CHARLIE CHRISTIAN (for guitarists).

DaveG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers
    sure but Charlie influenced Wes, and "every other electric guitarist since - whether they know it or not" (Kessel). so....

also, smooth jazz almost died recently. i don't rermenver the details but there was a large radio cancellation. it affected Ritenour and all the other smoothies.

and, some would say it ain't really jazz. some would say it doesn't matter because it's crap, and that if smooth was ALL that Wes had done he would not have become the historical player that he is.

some would say, but not me as far as you know.
    I don't think smooth jazz will never die. It will probably get more pop oriented, which ain't all bad; at least musicians will be able to get paid and keep a roof over their heads. As many elevators and grocery stores as we have in this society, it can't be a bad thing.

But what's up with smooth jazz radio cancellation? What does that mean?

User Info Menu

I don't think smooth jazz will never die. It will probably get more pop oriented, which ain't all bad; at least musicians will be able to get paid and keep a roof over their heads. As many elevators and grocery stores as we have in this society, it can't be a bad thing.

there was something in the press at least a year ago about a major smooth jazz radio station/stations deciding to fold or re-program. something like that.

i think that they still have something on Sirius and XM though. i never listen so am not sure.

User Info Menu

The only problem I have with smooth jazz is the misappropriation of the word jazz. It ain't jazz. It is instrumental pop. When I was a kid, it was called adult contemporary, or easy listening. I just don't care for the watering down of the term jazz. There is plenty of good musicians playing it, and plenty of fine work in the genre.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by affseofl2654
    You'd think jazz was invented by Coleman Hawkins or Charlie Parker. What about this lot for 'influential'?:
    This is from an earlier post of mine. Copying and pasting like this is a spam technique, therefore this is spam.

Quote Originally Posted by derek
    The only problem I have with smooth jazz is the misappropriation of the word jazz. It ain't jazz. It is instrumental pop. When I was a kid, it was called adult contemporary, or easy listening. I just don't care for the watering down of the term jazz. There is plenty of good musicians playing it, and plenty of fine work in the genre.
    Right on, brother. ABBA is not jazz.

And Santana and Zappa are not jazz either. How many times does someone post that they play jazz?

No. Just because someone uses a Dominant chord does not mean it's jazz. And just because someone improvises does not make it jazz.

Sorry, got to go. I'm having a late lunch with Wynton.
    Last edited by Drumbler; 12-03-2010 at 03:12 PM.

User Info Menu

...Santana and Zappa are not jazz either...
    Quite right. Zappa is far more than simply jazz; to imply otherwise would be denigration, imho...
    Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny
    F. Zappa

User Info Menu

Bill Evans, John Coltrane

User Info Menu

I'll go with Louis Armstrong. It's amazing how fresh his playing still sounds. It seems less dated that Parker's (-and I love Charlie Parker, so I'm not taking a swipe.)

Here's one of my all-time favorite recordings, Louis and Bing singing "Gone Fishin'." (No trumpet, just singing.)

And the unofficial theme song of New Orleans Saints....

User Info Menu

Louis Armstrong.

After moving to Chicago, Armstrong stepped away from the ensemble style playing of New Orleans and introduced the concept of the jazz musician as a soloist who developed a solo over multiple choruses of a song.

With the recordings of the Hot Fives and Sevens, Louis Armstrong left behind the dotted eighth/sixteen rhythms of ragtime and began to play with the triplet based rhythms that eventually became known as swing.

As a vocalist, he influenced every pop and jazz singer, male and female, for over three decades.