The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24
    jeffstocksmusic Guest
    Julian is posting a series of etudes via Youtube which you all might dig. Hopefully he will release the charts to them at some point because they have some very interesting harmonic and rhythmic twists and turns. I really think this guy is about as good as it gets.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

i would rate those more as "exercises" than etudes. good workout for your fingers but not very musical. too repititious. not really jazz either.

of course i am comparing his etudes to the classical and Latin masters - which have a rich library of classical and modern studies BTW.

great idea though. i wish that there were more jazz guitar etudes.

User Info Menu

I agree, the lack of graded jazz etudes is a pretty glaring gap. There are so many different directions students are pulled in, many wind up with pretty spotty knowledge and ability. I think Mimi Fox came out with graded etudes, but are part of her Truefire package, so not cheap.

User Info Menu

do you think the lack of "jazz etudes" comes from the fear of "not improvising?"

jeffstocksmusic Guest
    To avoid any further discussion on what these are or are not, I will include something I should have included in the original post. My bad. I just found them interesting, unique, and inspiring and thought I would share. I appreciate when anyone tries to find a unique approach to the instrument.

From Julian:

My goal is to write a series of 13 etudes that serve as compositional and technical studies, highlighting new approaches and concepts I am currently exploring. It is my hope, that these pieces will offer insight into my curiosity about the inner workings of the guitar as well as provide material for other players to use as a launch pad for furthering their own development on the instrument.

User Info Menu

Jeff, Thanks for posting!

A couple of definitions:

An étude is an instrumental musical composition, most commonly of considerable difficulty, usually designed to provide practice material for perfecting a particular technical skill.

A short composition for a solo instrument; intended as an exercise or to demonstrate technical virtuosity.

I think his pick work in the 1st vid is remarkable and his left hand ain't too shabby either. In my opinion, I believe that one could definitely call these etudes.

Repetitive yes but so were some of Johnny Smith's etudes. To my ear this is musical in a "20th century classical" way.

The second video reminds me of some of Garoto's compositions but without the Brazilian feel. Good fingerstyle RH but not as impressive as his plectrum work.

From what I've seen and heard Lage may well have the best RH pick control of anyone since Johnny Smith.

If he decides to publish I'll certainly take a crack at them.

Regards,
    monk

jeffstocksmusic Guest
    Jeff, Thanks for posting!
    If you haven't checked out his disc, do so. His writing is really amazing and the ensemble he organized supports the music about as well as any I can name. I really think he and Chris Thile are doing the most interesting music right now by combining jazz, 20th century classical, and bluegrass. I happen to love all three equally so the combination is perfect for me.

I have swapped emails w/ Julian over the last few months. He comes across as about as nice a guy as you will meet. I'd kill to get to study w/ a guy w/ that expansive a view of music.

User Info Menu

+1, I agree with Monk.

Definately an etude and very musical too.

User Info Menu

As an example - Here's a great picking etude by Steve Morse

iBreatheMusic.com - 2 Picking Exercises by Steve Morse

User Info Menu

Limit of 4 pictures per post forced me to split this into two.

Good exercise that I have been using since mid 80'ties

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jeffstocksmusic
    To avoid any further discussion on what these are or are not, I will include something I should have included in the original post. My bad. I just found them interesting, unique, and inspiring and thought I would share. I appreciate when anyone tries to find a unique approach to the instrument.

From Julian:
    no sweat i'm glad you did. the playing looks challenging.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    do you think the lack of "jazz etudes" comes from the fear of "not improvising?"

maybe.

the jazzer can always transcribe solos and licks and practice jazz patterns, etc so those are the alternatives to etudes. but solos can be very tough and don't involve playing a piece from start to finish.

i also think that those best suited to writing jazz etudes would probably be the best improvisers and i think that they have better things to do. the best composers could probaly not capture the jazz feel as well as the best players. the jazz solo feel doesnt sound thoroughly composed. IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers
    maybe.

the jazzer can always transcribe solos and licks and practice jazz patterns, etc so those are the alternatives to etudes. but solos can be very tough and don't involve playing a piece from start to finish.

i also think that those best suited to writing jazz etudes would probably be the best improvisers and i think that they have better things to do. the best composers could probaly not capture the jazz feel as well as the best players. the jazz solo feel doesnt sound thoroughly composed. IMO
    Yes, my point. Where do you start transcribing? Wes?, Pass? Not exactly entry level stuff. We can say So What or All Blues, but since Miles was not a guitar player, that throws some off.

Having a graded system that was based on real solos would be wonderful. I just don't see it out there. I wish Steve Carter was on this thread. After so many years of teaching at Berklee, he might know of some, or made a stab at it himself.

jeffstocksmusic Guest
    Having a graded system that was based on real solos would be wonderful. I just don't see it out there.
    Not sure if this is what you mean, but I recall a tenor player who released a set of etudes based on bop vocabulary/harmony. I am blanking on his name, unfortunately.

I actually have the book at home and bought it after reading a review by someone on this board (Matt, maybe). It has the solos played by guitar and tenor. I never did much with it because I started private lessons around the time I got it, but it seemed a nice collection.

Mark Elf has a collection of etudes written over standard changes as well. I have the one based on Stella and it is nice.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding your post.

User Info Menu

Greg Fishman.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jeffstocksmusic
    Not sure if this is what you mean, but I recall a tenor player who released a set of etudes based on bop vocabulary/harmony. I am blanking on his name, unfortunately.

I actually have the book at home and bought it after reading a review by someone on this board (Matt, maybe). It has the solos played by guitar and tenor. I never did much with it because I started private lessons around the time I got it, but it seemed a nice collection.

Mark Elf has a collection of etudes written over standard changes as well. I have the one based on Stella and it is nice.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding your post.
    No, you get me just fine. Having a graduated (scaled) set of etudes based on standards starting using guide tones, then chord tones, then chord tones with enclosures, then some subs, etc. I think if a name came out with such, even with a ghost writer, there would be legs to it.

User Info Menu

Why not just start with transcribing simpler solos? Nobody is going to expect some one starting out to transcribe a Joe Pass solo, but what about like a Kenny Burrell or Grant Green Blues solo?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jseaberry
    Greg Fishman.
    Greg Fishman has released several book/cd packages of jazz etudes for saxophone. So far one of these books has been adapted to guitar (the book includes tablature, too) and it is really wonderful. The etudes are brimming with hip bebop vocabulary that sounds great on the guitar. I'm even hoping that he will release more of his material for guitar (or at least C instruments) in the future.

I reviewed the book on my site last year. You can read about it and hear some examples here: John Horne Guitar Studio Blog Archive Quality guitar performance, guitar lessons and more. Live from Athens Ohio Book Review: Jazz Guitar Etudes by Greg Fishman

User Info Menu

See!!! My memory isn't completely gone yet!!

jeffstocksmusic Guest
    Thanks James and John for jogging my memory!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John_Horne
    Greg Fishman has released several book/cd packages of jazz etudes for saxophone. So far one of these books has been adapted to guitar (the book includes tablature, too) and it is really wonderful. The etudes are brimming with hip bebop vocabulary that sounds great on the guitar. I'm even hoping that he will release more of his material for guitar (or at least C instruments) in the future.

I reviewed the book on my site last year. You can read about it and hear some examples here: John Horne Guitar Studio Blog Archive Quality guitar performance, guitar lessons and more. Live from Athens Ohio Book Review: Jazz Guitar Etudes by Greg Fishman
    Really cool stuff John. Read the review and watched the two vids. Not exactly beginner stuff though. Are all 12 etudes uptempo bebop stuff? Also, I think I have met you before. Have you taught for NGW in the past? You just look very familiar, and your name is ringing bells.

User Info Menu

This new one blows my mind!

User Info Menu

I'm stilling struggling with etude #1. Can anyone help me with the fingering in the last bar on page 1 and the beginning of page 2?

https://www.joey-web.com/jazz/youtub...JulianLage.pdf

I know that I don't need to play exactly like him, but his playing just seems so effortless.

User Info Menu

your asking about the last measure on page one..in 12/8 time and the first bar on page two in 9/8 time correct ?

if so -- the way I finger it -- the chord names are how I see them..

E B G 1 3 2 Emin

D B G# 2 1 1 - barre the B G# - E7 no root

C# A E 2 4 3 A maj

B C D# 1 2 3 B7b9

I hold the first note for the whole chord giving the descending bass line a Bach feel - a nice little passage

A D E 1 4 3

G E C# 2 1 1

F# C D# 2 1 1

hope this helps

I just realized this is a five-seven year old thread...yikes
    Last edited by wolflen; 07-15-2017 at 09:40 PM.