The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 93

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timski
    I am glad my deliberately provocative title and OP ('opening paragraph', I presume?) has elicited some reaction, which was its original intent.

I wonder if some of the responses suggesting I rephrased using 'I think' or 'I prefer' would have occurred had I opened with 'Wes Montgomery is better than George Benson'; a far more popular and less controversial statement (at least on this forum)...

In fact, I suspect if that had been my title then this thread would have been completely overlooked by most people, including the likes of those who support the notion that stating that one player is better than another is a premise which is 'void' or can only be expressed in terms which are wholly subjective.
    On the contrary. If you check out many of the threads, you'll notice that bald statements from whichever angle are always picked up and thrown back. Myself, I think J&B is better than Johnnie Walker Black label.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Black Bush for me.

User Info Menu

That's INSANE!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monk
    OP= Original Poster
    Or Original Post.

While I'm not into "A versus B" posts, I will say that Benson would probably be more highly regarded by jazz guitars if he hadn't gotten into that smooth ballad stuff that matched his mustache. I try to keep the two separate.

User Info Menu

No, this is insane:

Last edited by timski; 06-07-2010 at 03:15 PM.

User Info Menu

No doubt both: George and Wes are guitar genius.
    But we shouldn't talk about "jazz" watching what George Benson play from long years.

User Info Menu

Yazzoo,
    I heard what you said but I don't understand what you mean.
    Regards,
    monk

User Info Menu

Nothing weird is in what I posted.
    If someone tracks George Benson career (I do that for over 30 years), it's clear that year by year he's closer to pop and smooth melodic ballads than jazz. It's nothing wrong, but it's hard to talk about pure jazz in what George is doing during recent years.
    Nobody denies that Benson is great jazz guitarist, but lately he's more smooth ballads singer than jazz guitarist.

Whatever, love 'em both

Even posted one of older Benson's videos few hours ago:
    http://www.guitar-tube.com/watch/geo...my-latin-lover
    It only shows how great guitar player George is!

Hope I'm more clear now.
    Last edited by yazzoo; 06-20-2010 at 02:35 PM.

User Info Menu

I can't really disagree with you yazzoo.

By the way, where are you originally from? Is English your first language? I'm just curious.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Of course I'm not English native, but I'm sure you understood my English well.

I had a pleasure to talk with Di Meola, Jim Hall, Chick Corea and many more, none of them noted me about my English. From other hand all they used to talk a lot with foreigners....
    I'm not jazz guitarist, I play classical guitar.
    But I have jazz in my heart from over 30 years.

Whatever, I hope nationality is not a problem on this board.
    All is about music, jazz in particular

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timski
    No, this is insane:

Ahahahahahahhahhahah !!! So funny, you made my day bro !!!
    (you have to watch the original first to understand the power of this !)

User Info Menu

Truly, George Benson is the Lando Calrissian of guitarists.

User Info Menu

To make this hypothetical type discussion more interesting, would anyone dare to venture examples of each's playing that represents their absolute peak form in order for all to examine and express their own opinions as to which guitarist's playing they prefer and why? Obviously to do such a comparison fairly would mean to pit hundreds of examples from each player against each other, but one example from each may serve to at least exemplify each's strengths enough to cause one to prefer one over the other, no?

I'm really curious to know precisely why some prefer Benson over Wes. Is it because he's faster? More exciting? More complex and risk taking? And on the Wes side, is he more effortless and unforced? More complete and engaging?
    Just wonderin'....

User Info Menu

O.K., um...I dig em both. But here is the difference FOR ME:

Live, Benson's lines sometimes just feel like there is an effort to compete. Some cats play lots of notes to create a certain flow, and some do it as a reaction to energy, and some do it as a way to create energy, and some do it cuz they have a lot to say. It is not the noteyness that bothers me. I just get the feeling that he's going "now I am going to burn", as opposed to doing it more, I dunno, organically.

But I LOVE a lot of his stuff. His playing on so much stuff has inspired me. The stuff on Columbia (It's Uptown, Benson Burner, Cookbook) Billie's Bounce from The Blue Benson album, his solo on First Light by Freddie Hubbard is one of my favs by ANY guitarist, so I am not a hater! A bit of a fanboi really.

But Wes is just so WES....there is no mistaking ANYTHING the guy plays, and he has that magical connection to maturity, purpose and melody that makes everything the cat played just so dang COOL.

Plus...Smokin at the Half Note....is just a perfect jazz guitar record in every aspect. And for that alone he gets the top spot. Plus, Wes came first.....

User Info Menu

I think WM better than GB.
    WM have best melody more than GB But I like GB too.

I love blues feel in jazz. I don't like white guy play jazz or blues.

black is blues blues is my life.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by benzblues
    I don't like white guy play jazz or blues.

God, I hope you don't mean that.

Music is a uniter not a divider. If you really feel that way, I sincerely hope you hang up the instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    God, I hope you don't mean that.

Music is a uniter not a divider. If you really feel that way, I sincerely hope you hang up the instrument.

I'm with you 1000%. I hope it's just a troll.

User Info Menu

Really? You think skin color has to do with musical ability??

User Info Menu

Well I don't know who YOU are, but I DO know who Buddy Guy is, and I DO know who BB King is, and I DO know who Freddie King is, and I DO know who Albert King is. All those guys have played with musicians of all different colors.

Buddy Guy one time said that it didn't matter what color a person is if you prick us we all bleed the same.

+1 on what Mr. B said. Music is a unifier not a divider.

I also think that you are pretty arrogant if you think you are more of a bluesman than the Kings or Buddy Guy. This is just proof that the real pro's are class acts, and wanna be's are the ones with the attitude.

User Info Menu

Check his youtube channel....he's from Thailand.....he sho nuff ain't a black American!!

User Info Menu

Wow, not only are you illiterate, you're a racist too. Congratulations!

What are we to say to this? Only caucasions should play classical music? By the way, are you black? If not, you should not play blues or jazz either because you're not in the black club, right? Back to primitive Asian music I guess.

User Info Menu

The blues has no color. Neither does stupidity.

Baltar Hornbeek Guest

Me like when yellow guy get blues, he turn green.

User Info Menu

Whether the original post was said in jest, or not... I really dislike this type of discussion.
    When did music become a sport?
    Why do I only hear this kind of nonsense from guitars players?
    I hear this from rock players all the time... just didn't expect it here.

User Info Menu

gee whiz, i wonder if in brazil there's a parallel argument pitting guinga vs baden powell?

personally, i can't really compare wes montgomery with george benson—i love 'em both and wouldn't want to go without either one.