The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

I met a guy last summer who was really into "west african style" guitar. I liked his playing a lot and he recommended a book but I can no longer remember the name. I was wondering if any of you have had experience with some african styles and can recommend a book or two. I am pretty sure the style he played (and I liked) was from Mali.....

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

In the '80's, I used to go and see bands in London like the Ivory Coasters and Orchestra Jazira - great sounds. You want to check out

Highlife from Ghana

Juju from Nigeria

Township Jive from South Africa

Look out for recordings by Fela Kuti and King Sunny Ade, and hypnotic Malian bluesy music from Ali Farka Toure. African Jazz Pioneers are worth a listen too.

User Info Menu

This book looks like the real deal. African Guitar.
    The music from West Africa is hot. I looked into it until I realized it would be years before I could play like those guys. The electric players typically switch out strings, so you'd have to have a separate guitar dedicated to that genre.

User Info Menu

...Manu Dibango sure made a splash back in the 70's - he was even on the charts in US, with a strong West African band including fine guitar work.

User Info Menu

are you guys hip to lionel loueke-- west african vibe mixed with jazz...i can't get enough of this stuff.

lionel uses a sort of "reentrant" tuning in which his A string, I believe, is up an octave. makes for some great closed voice chords...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    are you guys hip to lionel loueke-- west african vibe mixed with jazz...i can't get enough of this stuff.

lionel uses a sort of "reentrant" tuning in which his A string, I believe, is up an octave. makes for some great closed voice chords...
    oh yes! Lionel is like a cross between an african drummer, Bill Evans... and Segovia!

Saw him twice (Montreal and Toronto); incredible playing, singing, compositions and improvisations.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles
    oh yes! Lionel is like a cross between an african drummer, Bill Evans... and Segovia!.
    that's a damn good way of putting it!

User Info Menu

I've got a book called "African Guitar Styles" by Folo Graff which is pretty good, wide range of stuff. It was published by ADG productions.

User Info Menu

King Sunny Ade is er...uh...king!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I dig Lionel Loueke, and I heard Richard Bona play some nice African guitar too, besides being a monster bassist.

If anyone is interested, I have African guitar video lessons on my site, with TAB: African guitar & bass lessons
    Last edited by Vihar; 03-25-2019 at 02:29 PM.

User Info Menu

You all should check out this guitarist and big band leader from Denmark, named Pierre Dorge (I think the "o" in his last name has a "half-dim" mark on it).

His big band is called the "New Jungle Orchestra", and they are fantastic. He basically combines big band jazz (name taken from Ellington's jungle period in Harlem, 1920s) and West African Highlife.

Pierre Dørge & New Jungle Orchestra

Pierre Dørge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

User Info Menu

Old post I know but still relevant for those interested..

Derek Gripper has released an album of solo kora tunes by Toumani Diabate and a couple of Ali Farka Toure pieces arranged for guitar. He has also scored them in tablature which you can find here. http://www.derekgripper.com/african-guitar/

User Info Menu

I used to play with King Sunny Ade's pedal steel player Dimola aka "Hawaiian" about 12 years ago....had lots of fun. I lost track of him ... wish we could jam again.... so much fun to play ---- "the sole ace", he said it was me, but it was him for sure miss ya, bro

User Info Menu

Derek Gripper is offering lessons via Skype, and is certainly a master of the kora style of Toumani Diabate, which is quite an accomplishment.

User Info Menu

I had the great honor of getting to jam with Lionel Loueke the other night at a mutual friend's house.

Here he is playing my Heritage Sweet 16, which I shall now have to retire, since I'll never be able to do it justice any more.

User Info Menu

You might want to have a look at "Africa: your passport to a new world with music" by Banning Eyre.

I am half Algerian and very interested in the Berber music and culture. Tinariwen is a group of Tuareg people from the desert of north Mali. This music style is known as assouf. I think they are worth checking out.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Lionel Loueke has an app coming out for iPad/iPhone that teaches a range of African guitar styles:
    GuitAfrica - Learn african guitar on iPhone and iPad (There's a demo video)

User Info Menu

These free lessons are good, also get some names to listen to, for soukous guitar.

Guitarists List