Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 67 of 67
  1. #51

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol View Post
    Blues isn't a how it's a what.
    Jazz vs Blues-giphy-gif
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

    "Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

    --The Ghost of Duke Ellington

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #52

    User Info Menu

    I was hoping I'd get busted for that.

  4. #53

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonray View Post
    Jazz is the teacher - Blues is the preacher
    ...
    Last edited by Stevebol; 04-01-2018 at 02:29 AM.

  5. #54

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by GuitaRoland View Post
    Jazz vs Blues? Is there more similarities than differences? I feel like certain questions on this forum seem to be ignored when it comes to blues - and I mean jazzy blues?

    /R
    'Jazzy blues' isn't jazz blues. Jazzy blues is a novelty and good guitarists like Duke Robilliard who do it know that. He's been around a long time.
    Jazz blues is different. It's how jazz musicians play blues.

    And, I'm talking to an 8 year old thread....

  6. #55

    User Info Menu

    I just found out that my classical guitar is dead! It was a loner from my cousin's husband who lives in Charleston and he kept it up in the attic so apparently that humidity did it in before he even gave it to me! The bridge is falling off and so are the bracings inside the guitar. The problem is it would cost more than the guitar is worth to fix it and I talked to my cousin and she said that it wasn't a big deal and he's cool with it. So now I gotta figure out what kinda burial I want lol. I'm leaning towards a Who smash and bash type of sendoff. Any thoughts?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  7. #56

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by FZ2017 View Post
    I just found out that my classical guitar is dead! It was a loner from my cousin's husband who lives in Charleston and he kept it up in the attic so apparently that humidity did it in before he even gave it to me! The bridge is falling off and so are the bracings inside the guitar. The problem is it would cost more than the guitar is worth to fix it and I talked to my cousin and she said that it wasn't a big deal and he's cool with it. So now I gotta figure out what kinda burial I want lol. I'm leaning towards a Who smash and bash type of sendoff. Any thoughts?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Sounds like a bad case of the blues, there, bud.

    Maybe use it to practice repairs?

  8. #57

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol View Post
    'Jazzy blues' isn't jazz blues. Jazzy blues is a novelty and good guitarists like Duke Robilliard who do it know that. He's been around a long time.
    Jazz blues is different. It's how jazz musicians play blues.

    And, I'm talking to an 8 year old thread....
    I think Duke Robillard's a fine player. He made a couple records with Herb Ellis that really work for me.

    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

  9. #58

    User Info Menu

    There is nothing less jazz or blues than the word 'jazzy'.

    I hate that word. And I generally love words.

  10. #59

    User Info Menu

    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

    "Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

    --The Ghost of Duke Ellington

  11. #60

    User Info Menu

    This whole worry about playing "right" for a style... I understand some degree of respect toward authenticity, but also creativity. The Blues Police get annoyed when someone mixes BB King licks and T-Bone Walker licks in the same song. The Jazz Snobs do similarly, maybe less so, more politely.

    It could be much worse; according to Wiki, there are currently almost five dozen distinct named types of Heavy Metal genres (with cute names!).
    "Bent my ear to hear the tune and closed my eyes to see."

  12. #61

    User Info Menu

    I come at that two ways, I guess.

    Ideally, I'd always get to be "me." But certain gigs aren't about me. If someone hires me for a certain sound, it's my job to supply it. It's just important to know what''s what.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

    "Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

    --The Ghost of Duke Ellington

  13. #62

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
    Sounds like a bad case of the blues, there, bud.

    Maybe use it to practice repairs?
    Yeah but will it cost a bunch of money or is that mostly labor costs for time paying a luthier? The materials to fix it will probably be much more reasonable than paying a luthier I guess!

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  14. #63

    User Info Menu

    So who's everybody's favorite bluesman at least right now? Currently I'm listening to T-bone, Guitar Slim, Lightning Hopkins, Clarence Gatemouth brown, and Johnny Guitar Watson.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  15. #64

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by FZ2017 View Post
    Yeah but will it cost a bunch of money or is that mostly labor costs for time paying a luthier? The materials to fix it will probably be much more reasonable than paying a luthier I guess!

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    ... and the experience you gain, priceless, perhaps ...

  16. #65

    User Info Menu

    Blues is about call and response. Jazz is about speaking until you are blue in the face and listening until your ears bleed. The notes are the same, however. My 2 cents.

  17. #66

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
    I think he's great, very blues but informed by a nice harmonic sensibility that goes beyond I7-IV7-V7. Definitely on the blues side of the continuum, but full of sweet and sour.
    He grew up in Texas and went to the same church every Sunday with Blind Lemon Jefferson. When he moved to LA he played with Fats Waller and Louis Armstrong!

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  18. #67

    User Info Menu

    How come the church my parents dragged me to didn't have legendary bluesman?! What a rip!

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk