The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just re-listened to Truth. Man, what a great album. Jeff and Rod should have never split, and maybe they wouldn’t have if they called the band “Truth.” All the other masterpieces Jeff did could have been side projects, like The Jerry Garcia Band.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've been listening to "Shapes of Things" from that recording on a regular basis ever since my band played it in my high school's rock concert in 1972. Enduring.

User Info Menu

Yes, their first album was the best. Rod Stewart had his sights set on the toppermost of the poppermost and became a mediocre pop crooner rather than a great blues belter so Jeff would have left him behind before too long anyway.

Jeff's Les Paul tribute album/concert (Rock 'n Roll Party) was enlightening, showed he could play any style well.

User Info Menu

Wired was my first, and still my favourite. Then I discovered Rough and Ready, Blow by Blow, and all the others.

User Info Menu

Jeff and Rod at their best.
    And not forgetting Beck's Bolero.

User Info Menu

For those who haven't seen it yet, Live at Ronnie Scott's is phenomenal.

I love Beck, BUT- I find you have to dig for his gems... where I can listen to an entire album of Steve Vai, or Satriani, or Andy Timmons, (and there are more), Jeff for me is either "masterpiece!" or "WTH is this noise?" But I guess you'll get that with genius that is constantly emerging and changing.

Guitar Shop was my first Beck album, but I recently listened to them all... and found myself wanting to make a playlist of MY favorite tracks from each... and some records only had 1-2 tracks I liked... but when I finished the playlist I would have a good proper length album of all the greatest of Jeff Beck. Never got around to it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    Yes, their first album was the best. Rod Stewart had his sights set on the toppermost of the poppermost and became a mediocre pop crooner rather than a great blues belter so Jeff would have left him behind before too long anyway.

Jeff's Les Paul tribute album/concert (Rock 'n Roll Party) was enlightening, showed he could play any style well.
    Beck broke up the group 2 weeks before they were supposed to play Woodstock. There are some interesting rumors that Peter Green and Jimmy Page planted a story that Beck's wife was being unfaithful to him with the gardener, and this prompted Beck to fly home to deal with it and cancel the gig.

Stewart had done his first album with the future Faces Wood et al before that and was said to be thinking of splitting, but Beck seems to have made the decision. He later said it was a huge mistake.

Stewart for his part said that Beck was a great musician but lousy bandleader. They remained on good terms and later came back and played and recorded together. Stewart had a lot of nice things to say about Beck after his passing.