The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...f1e95e04&ei=37

>>>Yngwie Malmsteen, who’s credited with developing the neoclassical heavy metal genre, told Prog in 2019 that his musical career would have taken a different path if he hadn’t discovered Genesis keyboardist Tony Banks.
    “I grew up in a musical family. Everyone was classically-trained opera singers or violinists and I was the youngest. For my fifth birthday, I got a guitar and, as I was growing up, my parents sent me for flute, trumpet and piano lessons...."

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Tony Banks should in turn acknowledge the influence of Hymns Ancient and Modern on his work.
    Last edited by Litterick; 03-28-2024 at 02:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Apparently Steve Harris from Maiden’s favourite record is SEBTP…. Funny how the metallers like that one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Oh lest we forget

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Apparently Steve Harris from Maiden’s favourite record is SEBTP…. Funny how the metallers like that one
    Both my brothers (one older, one younger) did too. I heard a LOT of Genesis in the early-to-mid-70s: Trespass, Live, Foxtrot, Nursery Chryme, SEBTP, TLLDOB. It seems to have had no influence on me whatsoever.

User Info Menu

I don' know... somethying tells me (perhaps my ears) that all those nice Tony Banks piano pieces, such as the famous Firth of Fifth intro or the interlude in Giant of Hogweed (from Nursery Crimes) etc. wouldn't have happened if he hadn't heard Ravel's Tombeau de Couperin, at least the Prelude... (but did he?!?)

User Info Menu

I still have a soft spot for them and Yes, excellent musicians

ps check out this one.....

User Info Menu

Internet delivers:

Prog
    :
    Well, the first thing I was ever aware of was show tunes, which my mother played at home – early Rodgers & Hammerstein stuff. And I heard a lot of hymns at school. Then my brother had a few records and I got into pop music.

Something Else:
    As a child my mother used to play classical music. She was a good pianist. She played a lot of Chopin and that was quite a strong influence. I’ve always liked classical music, the standard pieces like Ravel’s “Bolero” or (Holst’s) “The Planets,” which I heard when I was a child. When I was in my teens I got into things like Shostakovich and Mahler.

User Info Menu

Early Genesis rules.

User Info Menu

A bit off topic but Peter Gabriel has a duet version of Digging in the Dirt on the new Sheryl Crow album. She does it justice.

Yes peak Genesis involves the flute, flower costumes, and Phil Collins looking like a dwarf from the Kingdom under the Mountain.

It must have been a requirement if you were a prog rock frontman in the 70’s to train as a mime.

User Info Menu

I'll go through Selling England several times and each time listening to a different instrument each time. Phil Collins' drumming on Epping Forest and Cinema Show were the things that made me really listen to The Mahavishnu Orchestra and got me into jazz.
    I first saw Genesis when they released Foxtrot. Their live shows defined a level of visual and musicality that truly set the bar with each subsequent Gabriel project. And to think that those guys were relative kids when they made that music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    A bit off topic but Peter Gabriel has a duet version of Digging in the Dirt on the new Sheryl Crow album. She does it justice.

Yes peak Genesis involves the flute, flower costumes, and Phil Collins looking like a dwarf from the Kingdom under the Mountain.

It must have been a requirement if you were a prog rock frontman in the 70’s to train as a mime.

What is he aiming for with the accent? Impossible to tell.