The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Came across this and remembered this guy is still one of my favourite players (in whose hands I usually don't mind an electric sound either):

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Came across this and remembered this guy is still one of my favourite players (in whose hands I usually don't mind an electric sound either):

Great tune, tone and great playing! I wonder if he's coming through that Marshall stack or if there's a ratty old Deluxe hidden off camera

User Info Menu

He's probably the one who really got me interested in picking up a guitar, and my basic RH technique very much influenced by his tutorials and video courses I picked up before I could enroll in music school. (The left hand ... I can only dream ... he appears to have an enormous span too.)

The description says he plays through a "SquareAmps Vintage Radio Guitar Amp", which is probably the big brown thing behind the headstock.

No info on the PU, but it looks vintage too.

User Info Menu

Same guitar starting at about 37:00 in this livestream from last Feb:

(plus a few nice "roots" instruments)

User Info Menu

I’ve never seen , but he plays here in Omaha on occasion. He’s buddies with a local guy who builds cigar box guitars and has made quite a few for JJ.

Still hoping to catch Justin in action soon.

User Info Menu

Justin is a great player. Makes me want to play slide (I've tried over the years, but can't seem to get the hang of it)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Still hoping to catch Justin in action soon.
    I discovered him not long after he had played at CBG festival where I could have gone. Seems unlikely that opportunity will present itself again...

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Makes me want to play slide (I've tried over the years, but can't seem to get the hang of it)
    Who wouldn't...

(esp. on that guitar!)

Maybe you should try his course on standard tuning slide guitar playing? Of course with one of his signature slides

I listen less to him nowadays but I've very rarely caught him on a performance or arrangement that wasn't tasteful and effective. And for his recordings he often works with other (native-American) musicians I usually never heard of but are always great performers. Very impressed by singer (and apparently flutist) Bill Miller for instance:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB

Maybe you should try his course on standard tuning slide guitar playing?
    I've actually considered it! Maybe if I owned a resonator of some kind, I'd be more apt to play that style...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Maybe if I owned a resonator of some kind, I'd be more apt to play that style...
    As if you needed an excuse to buy one (they're fun!)

But that old Stromberg also sounds very nice with a slide, maybe you prefer an excuse to buy one of those?