The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here I revisit tunes I recorded with a quintet including either Rhodes piano or B3, sax or guitar, along with bass and drums. I just used a trio setup, my 10-string and upright bass and drums. This is a 4K video with multiple cameras. All original tunes except a Beck cover. I needed to prove to myself I could carry the tunes pretty much on my own.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice playing and great recording.

You’re making me feel bad about my own playing!

I don’t even know how the heck a 10-string mandolin is tuned…

User Info Menu

Nice playing and great to see and hear some electric jazz mandolin. Dig the “SG” vibe. I believe Tom’s 10 string is a five string mandolin with the courses doubled as they are on acoustic mandolins. So 5 notes probably tuned in 5ths.

By contrast below is my 4 string electric mandolin which is just like a regular mandolin but without the doubled strings.

Many people feel single courses sound better on electric mandolin but Tom makes his sound great. Almost a little like built in chorus. Also single courses on electric mandolin take away a lot of what makes a mandolin a mandolin IMO.

Electric mandolin jazz -- video performance-img_0034-jpg

Thanks for watching.
    My first electric was a Ryder EM45. I swapped out the little humbuckers the maker used on my 10-string for Steve's stacked-single-coil pickups. After spending time with the 10-string I converted my 5-string Ryder to 10 strings. I find the richer tone and more interesting attack make for a bigger sound.

The SG was made by Pete Mallinson of Almuse, UK. He specialized in emulating existing guitar styles. Mine is a one-off. I asked him to use a 14.25" scale to match my acoustic 10s. Wood is sapele. My acoustic 10-string mandolins are by Thomas Buchanan.

My Bandcamp page:
    Music | Tom Wright

User Info Menu

Normally a 10-string would be tuned the same as a 5-string, just with doubled courses. Same as a regular mandolin with an added low C, CGDAE, standard fifths tuning. Of course, some players use different tunings, but that's the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Normally a 10-string would be tuned the same as a 5-string, just with doubled courses. Same as a regular mandolin with an added low C, CGDAE, standard fifths tuning. Of course, some players use different tunings, but that's the standard.
    Yes. I spent most of my life playing violin and viola and am happy with fifths. The C course gets down into guitar range, and pretty much any guitar solo is in my range. Chording is more of a challenge, and sticking with the mandolin scale allows closer voicing than on a tenor guitar.

User Info Menu

I used to play in a group with an old guy (well, he seemed old to me at the time, but now I'm older than he was then, I think) who played 5-string guitars, tuned in fifths. I tried it, just to see, and while it's okay for rhythm, it's really difficult for soloing, because it requires really big stretches, at least the way I was trying to play it. I have some mandolins and a make-do mandola, and the latter is hard enough for me.