The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Hi !

This is my 4th week.
    I just share the best here, there are other videos but there are not interesting.

Some risks here...

And something my wife recorded...

Stream Big Band by lionelsax | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Some tunes again with experimentation...

User Info Menu

Nice playing on the big band clip.

User Info Menu

Another little thing...

User Info Menu

Reminds me of this album. I sound like a broken record, but it's nice playing.

Album: Now's the Time - YouTube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Reminds me of this album. I sound like a broken record, but it's nice playing.

Album: Now's the Time - YouTube
    Yes, duet with double bass is something special, the other day, I told Alexa to play some Red Mitchell's tunes while I was sleeping, I had a really great sleeping night, great trip.
    I also appreciate Ron Carter but Red Mitchell is the more lyrical.

Of course the fifths tuning has got something to do with.
    But he was also lyrical with fourths tuning.

User Info Menu

I've never heard the Red Mitchell Clark Terry recording. It's great!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Saturday, March 23rd

The Girl From Ipanema

User Info Menu

Sunday, March 31th

User Info Menu

I like your thread. I think working a single chord is an essential exercise. How can you say you have your chops together if you can't flow on 1 chord! Something my teacher taught me is with measures of the same chord, you can lead into the 5th or the root each bar to keep it organized rather than having the downbeats be random notes. I might record a video of some B3 bass and participate.
    Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 03-31-2024 at 09:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    I like your thread. I think working a single chord is an essential exercise. How can you say you have your chops together if you can't flow on 1 chord! Something my teacher taught me is with measures of the same chord, you can lead into the 5th or the root each bar to keep it organized rather than having the downbeats be random notes. I might record a video of some B3 bass and participate.
    Yes, you can play I V or I II V or I VI II V
    I do It on the double bass but I'm still too limited even if I improved.
    This is the same exercise, years ago but on the bass guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    Yes, you can play I V or I II V or I VI II V
    I do It on the double bass but I'm still too limited even if I improved.
    This is the same exercise, years ago but on the bass guitar.
    Yeah I can hear you phrasing to the root and sometimes the 5th. Sounds pretty good. I'm like that with my Hammond bass playing, can't always get it right because it's tough. But it helps to try to train yourself.

I've heard bassists do a 2 5 within one chord like you said. I think a 6 2 5 might make it sound too much like a different chord progression than intended is going on.

User Info Menu

Yeah I can hear you phrasing to the root and sometimes the 5th. Sounds pretty good. I'm like that with my Hammond bass playing, can't always get it right because it's tough. But it helps to try to train yourself.

I've heard bassists do a 2 5 within one chord like you said. I think a 6 2 5 might make it sound too much like a different chord progression than intended is going on.
    1 6 2 5 like you say makes things easier, the other way even if it looks simpler (only two chords) is more sophisticated and advanced because of a creative goal, lines are more tortuous.
    That doesn't sound very English.

User Info Menu

Some G bluez for ya. I'm trying to work on my time feel. With Hammond, the bass note placement has to be more ahead and precise. I'm used to the upright feel of that behind the beat lilt, but that doesn't sound good on Hammond.

User Info Menu

Some G bluez for ya. I'm trying to work on my time feel. With Hammond, the bass note placement has to be more ahead and precise. I'm used to the upright feel of that behind the beat lilt, but that doesn't sound good on Hammond.

Cool, I sometimes do it at work but it's a fake organ because it has velocity.
    I forgot to post this, nothing to do with the blues.
    It's Stella By Starlight.