The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

>>>>“To me, Lou stood out. The real deal! Something important to American music and to ALL MUSIC! I miss him and his dog.” - Keith Richards <<<<

Never likedf it that this this song is called 'waiting for THE man' instead of 'waiting for MY man' but I'm weird that way.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well, he should know.

He's playing in time too, which is quite a surprise :-)

User Info Menu

Cool single pickup guitar and archtop bass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Never likedf it that this this song is called 'waiting for THE man' instead of 'waiting for MY man]
    You do know what this song is about? “The” is correct.

Really great cover by Keef!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes

Really great cover by Keef!
    Yeah, but he’s singing “waiting for MY man.”

The cover doesn’t bring anything new to the song. Just less life.

The original is fantastic.

User Info Menu

Ah I stand corrected…..now I see what Mark is referring to…..Lou sang “my” also.

User Info Menu

I think Lou sang it both ways. He was rather cavalier about his lyrics.

Some of his performances were more overtly sexual than just scoring drugs. But drugs and sex are both addictive, right?

I love the Keef version. Right attitude and great sound. As you probably know, David Bowie recorded and released his version before the Velvets released theirs. The Feelies have a good cover version very similar in sound and feel to the original.

User Info Menu

Important song. Unfortunately as much as I love Keef, it's a lame cover, like most covers of this song (IMO). Even most live versions (not all) by Lou himself fail to convey the vibe of the original.

User Info Menu

Here’s a nice version with Lou in peak fighting shape. Great bass line by Fernando Saunders, and punky guitar solos by the lawyer.

User Info Menu

The demo from 1965:

User Info Menu

I’ll just put another vote in for how much I dig Keith’s cover. I’d love to see Keith tour with these guys again.

User Info Menu

We always called him The Man in third person. Like "Where's The Man at?". If you were friendly with him, you might say "My Man!!" if and when you finally connected.

What strikes me most odd: "$26 in my hand". Weird number. Poetic license I guess.

I like that Keith likes Lou... and his little dog too!

User Info Menu

Yeah, I always knew what the song was about.
    But in the song, Lou always says "I'm waiting for my man," never "waiting for the man." Same with Keith (and everyone else I've heard sing it.)

They can call it whatever they want. I would prefer the title to be "I'm Waiting For My Man," but as my wife Donna says, "Mark, you're always bitching."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Garrett
    The demo from 1965:

At east he doesn't sound like he's trying to be Bob Dylan here, as he does on many of the other "demos" from around this time!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    At east he doesn't sound like he's trying to be Bob Dylan here, as he does on many of the other "demos" from around this time!
    Really? On which songs?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Garrett
    Really? On which songs?
    Oh, you haven't heard all the demos they released to coincide with a comprehensive re release package of the Banana Album ? It came with a book and a few extra discs, one of which contained pretty much all the demos for the debut album, recorded from their apartment in Ludlow st around '65. It's hilarious, it's almost as if he's taking the mickey out of Dylan, but he wasn't, apparently...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Oh, you haven't heard all the demos they released to coincide with a comprehensive re release package of the Banana Album ? It came with a book and a few extra discs, one of which contained pretty much all the demos for the debut album, recorded from their apartment in Ludlow st around '65. It's hilarious, it's almost as if he's taking the mickey out of Dylan, but he wasn't, apparently...
    Post a link if you can. I’m curious. I agree there’s no doubt Dylan opened up a path for a lot of singers who followed, and of course we know that Reed was self-consciously “literary”, a devotee of Delmore Schwartz. It adds up.

All part of finding one’s voice — like I’m doing as a painter, and you all do as guitarists.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=princeplanet;1321609]Oh, you haven't heard all the demos they released to coincide with a comprehensive re release package of the Banana Album ?

Ahh The Banana Album..I remember when I discovered that you can peel off the skin and see..well..a banana!!

this was one of the initial release..later issues did not have this ability.

User Info Menu

Ah I stand corrected…..now I see what Mark is referring to…..Lou sang “my” also.
    He sang it that way on the live set from Max's Kansas City.
    "A tender folk song about love between man and subway."