The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 41 of 41

User Info Menu

I put a mic on it, Shadow SH 950, this is how it looks.
    I received my double bass !-img_2024-02-28-17-55-23-628-jpg
    This is how it sounds...
    I'm a big beginner so it's a bit weird.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    I put a mic on it, Shadow SH 950, this is how it looks.
    I received my double bass !-img_2024-02-28-17-55-23-628-jpg
    This is how it sounds...
    I'm a big beginner so it's a bit weird.

Sounds pretty good. How do you like the pickup? I used a Fishman P100 for quite sometime but never really got a decent sound with it. I found a guy on Ebay that made them at less than a quarter of the price and they were so much better, both the single and double paddles. I've been messing around with pre amps with ultra high impedance inputs (10MEG) to retain the low end and get rid of the scratchiness. I go into a MBIII.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    Sounds pretty good. How do you like the pickup? I used a Fishman P100 for quite sometime but never really got a decent sound with it. I found a guy on Ebay that made them at less than a quarter of the price and they were so much better, both the single and double paddles. I've been messing around with pre amps with ultra high impedance inputs (10MEG) to retain the low end and get rid of the scratchiness. I go into a MBIII.
    Hi ! I don't have enough experience to answer but the mic I use is pretty, it's plugged into the soundcard without EQ.
    It's very balanced and it respects dynamics even if I think it creates a natural compression.
    Acoustically the double bass makes a lot of extra noise, when I play low notes, everything is vibrating so much that the low notes on E string can't be heard clearly (a lot of buzz when I pluck the strings), here you hear the body and the strings.
    It makes me say it's a good instrument and so is the mic.
    About other mics... I don't know.

I bought this mic because I really needed it, I wanted to install it before a trumpeter came to my house.
    Unfortunately, the mic came a couple hours before the trumpeter and there was too much work to install it quickly.
    So I played acoustically...

At first I wanted a K&K BassMax but I wanted it quickly, so I bought the only cheap decent mic there was on Amazon Prime, it was too long with Thomann.

I'm very satisfied, I didn't try it yet on my real bass amp (I only tried it on a small one and it was good), my house is made like a tower with small stairs.
    The bass is in the attic and the amp in the garage, it's a pain in the back when I've got to move the bass, the amp stays in the garage.

The mic doesn't hum when it's plugged into the soundcard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    I used a Fishman P100 for quite sometime but never really got a decent sound with it.
    I saw the pickup you talk about, I think it takes the strings sound rather than the body so you need extra EQ to make it sound like a bass.
    I'm not really sure, they are very expensive.
    For my nylon guitar, one day to replace the original electronics, I bought a very Fishman copy preamp with piezo, it was efficient but awful.
    I gave my niece the guitar, she wants to learn, it's a Fender !
    Be careful, on the net there are a lot of Fishman copies, it doesn't mean they sound like original Fishman systems.
    I don't know why they don't protect their brand.

The K&K Bass Max has a lot of good critics a little more than the system I bought.

User Info Menu

As an aside, how was this delivered??

User Info Menu

Acoustically the double bass makes a lot of extra noise, when I play low notes, everything is vibrating so much that the low notes on E string can't be heard clearly (a lot of buzz when I pluck the strings), here you hear the body and the strings. It makes me say it's a good instrument.
    With all due respect, if there’s so much buzzing that you can’t distinguish the notes, there’s something wrong - that’s not normal. Either you’re not “fretting” properly (perpendicular to the board with enough pressure and without displacing the string to either side), you’re plucking much too hard, or there’s something loose or otherwise not right with the bass itself. It could be the E string itself or the way it’s mounted (wound on the tuning peg and secured in the tailpiece). It could be a loose or broken brace.

I’ve never heard or played an upright that made any extraneous noise like that. Something is wrong. You might want to have a more skilled bassist play it to see if the noise is there when someone else plays it. If so, that person will tell you the same thing I’m saying.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    The action isn't right, as a bodge, you could slacken the strings and put cardboard under the bridge feet.
    You could be right, but it doesn’t look to be the case in the first video (in post #1). And most low end uprights come with action that’s too high. But it could certainly be a bridge problem or a nut problem.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
    As an aside, how was this delivered??
    Like a mummy !

User Info Menu

Bruh, uprights don't have frets, if there's buzz, it's because the action is too high not too low.

The most likely explanation is that most uprights come with high action both at the nut and at the bridge and this can make it too difficult to finger notes with enough pressure to secure the string to the board and it'll rattle.

Does that sound like it could be the case Lionel? Post some pix of the action for us.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    Bruh, uprights don't have frets, if there's buzz, it's because the action is too high not too low.

The most likely explanation is that most uprights come with high action both at the nut and at the bridge and this can make it too difficult to finger notes with enough pressure to secure the string to the board and it'll rattle.

Does that sound like it could be the case Lionel? Post some pix of the action for us.
    No... It's easy to play but I pluck hard to be heard on E string.
    When it's bowed it sounds very "good".
    Don't laugh, I didn't put a title on this video.

User Info Menu

I saw the pickup you talk about, I think it takes the strings sound rather than the body so you need extra EQ to make it sound like a bass.
    I'm not really sure, they are very expensive.
    For my nylon guitar, one day to replace the original electronics, I bought a very Fishman copy preamp with piezo, it was efficient but awful.
    I gave my niece the guitar, she wants to learn, it's a Fender !
    Be careful, on the net there are a lot of Fishman copies, it doesn't mean they sound like original Fishman systems.
    I don't know why they don't protect their brand.

The K&K Bass Max has a lot of good critics a little more than the system I bought.
    When I first got my bass - a Hungarian Golden Strad - in the early 90s, it had a similar piezo to yours but each paddle was semi - circular. It was very woolly sounding and not pleasant. I happened to see Frank Tate playing with Howard Alden in the UK. I could see he was using a P100 with a Polytone. It sounded great so I got the P100 and the polytone but couldn't get that sound.
    I also have one of those Fishman copy pre amps with the under saddle piezo in a flat top. It's ok but the mic is broken.

User Info Menu

Bruh, uprights don't have frets, if there's buzz, it's because the action is too high not too low. The most likely explanation is that most uprights come with high action both at the nut and at the bridge and this can make it too difficult to finger notes with enough pressure to secure the string to the board and it'll rattle.
    ...and that's exactly what I said:

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Either you’re not “fretting” properly (perpendicular to the board with enough pressure and without displacing the string to either side), you’re plucking much too hard, or there’s something loose or otherwise not right with the bass itself. It could be the E string itself
    Notice that "fretting" is in quotes. I guess I could have said fingering with your left hand instead of "fretting", but that's a waste of words and I assumed my intended meaning was obvious. I guess it wasn't.

User Info Menu

I didn't mean to imply that I was disagreeing with you. I understood what you wrote. I was disagreeing more with the guy that you quoted.

User Info Menu

I didn't mean to imply that I was disagreeing with you. I understood what you wrote. I was disagreeing more with the guy that you quoted.
    Sorry, I deleted my post quite fast ASAP, because I realised I only have experience of playing/owning a vintage 1800's classical double bass, which had a superb setup by a top double bass luthier, so my experience wasn't relevant.

User Info Menu

If you're getting buzz because you pluck hard, then pluck at the base of the fretboard like I told you to. :P With your finger parallel to the string. Plucking in the middle of the string causes the string to vibrate more widely.

User Info Menu

There was a carved short scale for a reasonable price on my local cl. I snoozed, I losed. Still kicking myself. Violinist wife thinks I could get good enough to play last chair in the local community symphony.