Which is about what I want to spend

Any other basses I should look at , for
    a guitar player looking to have a go at bass
    (not too seriously)

Thanks all

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Squire P Bass.

I don't believe a guitarist needs to start on a short scale bass, and a P Bass is the best bass.

Actually, the best plan is to go to Guitar Center and play both scales and see what you like. I think short scales are floppy and harder to play.

User Info Menu

Get a Höfner violin bass. The only short scale bass worth thinking about.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve;[URL="tel:1312954"
    1312954[/URL]]Get a Höfner violin bass. The only short scale bass worth thinking about.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    i’ve heard they’re a bit neck heavy
    do you play one ?
    is this true ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    i’ve heard they’re a bit neck heavy
    do you play one ?
    is this true ?
    Kind of true, actually more "body light". With a strap fixed only on the body they dont balance well. They are very light which may also found good. I have a short scale Jaguar bass which balances quite well - but it is unbelievably heavy.
    If you want both fix the upper end of the strap to the head. The small body also means that the right arm rest is not there.
    IME neck heaviness is only a problem if you let go of your instrument.
    But I had an SG as my only guitar for a long long time

User Info Menu

Be the bass (think like a bass player).

Consider a 5 string bass. You have the low E of a 4 string bass sounded at the 5th fret of the low B string. That gives you what is sort of like a short scale bass reaches (playing at the 5th fret instead of the open position and getting the same notes). And of course you can also play at first fret for the full length feel and sound and extended range. Those extra low notes do come in handy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Be the bass (think like a bass player).

Consider a 5 string bass. You have the low E of a 4 string bass sounded at the 5th fret of the low B string. That gives you what is sort of like a short scale bass reaches (playing at the 5th fret instead of the open position and getting the same notes). And of course you can also play at first fret for the full length feel and sound and extended range. Those extra low notes do come in handy.
    Or get a 6 string bass and add a higher string as well. And tune it like a baritone guitar (B E A D F# B)

User Info Menu

It's gear, so what's your budget?!

I like short- and medium-scale basses, and currently have a Warmoth medium. It's great, but more $$ than the Ibanez you're looking at ...

User Info Menu

I bought an Ibanez GSRM20 last year mostly to fool around with since I’ve never had a bass, but also to record accompaniment for my own amateur recording. It’s slightly shorter! But it’s nice that it fits in a Tele/Strat gig bag. It’s had a bunch of good reviews and I’m enjoying it. The lowest few notes to seem a little floppy. I tried tuning it a semitone sharp and liked the low notes better, which I think suggests it would benefit from slightly heavier gauge E string to increase tension. But for now it’s acceptable for my purposes with the stock strings.

<GSRM20 | miKro | ELECTRIC BASSES | PRODUCTS | Ibanez guitars>

thanks for the replies

i don’t want to spend more than
    about £200 ….

and i want a short scale
    (about 30” max)

User Info Menu

Ibanez Mikro 4 or 5 string, Squier VM Jaguar SS, various incarnations of the Beatle bass, well even then Harley Benton PB Shorty can be decent basses at very low price. There are other budget choices - e.g. Gretsch Jr Jet, Epiphone EB - but I havn't tried those. They are differently styled. For general use I would prefer something with a P pickup.

User Info Menu

I have no idea what prices are like in the UK, but maybe a used Danelectro short scale?

Or if you really want short and cheap a Kala U-bass, or one of the knock-offs of one. I have a Hadean (Kala knock-off). The ergonomics of it definitely take some getting used to, but it sounds great.

The Squier Affinity Jaguar is cool, too.
    Last edited by John A.; 01-29-2024 at 12:01 PM.

User Info Menu

In my experience a Danelectro Long Horn is the way to go. They look long scale because they have extra frets, but short-scale they are.

Here’s a video I did a day after getting mine:

And a thread I started about it here: Danelectro Longhorn Bass

User Info Menu

The Ibanez bass you suggested looks fine. Everybody always has to suggest what they like out of left field while completely disregarding the specs of the OP lol. There's no reason not to get that bass. Ibanez is a great brand for inexpensive stuff. Short scale works well for bass too. Bass was my first instrument.

User Info Menu

As I read the OP was asking if there would be other basses to consider.

User Info Menu

I know it’s over your budget, but if you are ready to spend little bit more, take a look at Sire U5, amazing bass:

Marcus Miller U5 NT MN Short – Thomann UK

User Info Menu

Hi folks ,
    I want to get a short scale electric bass guitar
    to fool around on and learn a little bit

I was looking at one of these maybe
    Ibanez TMB30-IV – Thomann UK

They review well and are about £200
    Which is about what I want to spend

Any other basses I should look at , for
    a guitar player looking to have a go at bass
    (not too seriously)

Thanks all
    When I began to play the bass guitar, I used to play it like a guitar, E and A were my main strings, D and G had a relative relation with E and A.
    Then I wrote all my lines and played them the way they were written.
    So I learnt more.

One day, I tried the double bass, I didn't have one but someone taught me some basic things in order to play
    I applied those basic things on my bass guitar.
    It really helped me to play better.

You don't need a specific bass but a regular bass.
    Any bass is good for whatever you want to play.

A month ago, I learnt that the basic fingerings I've been using for 15 years came from Simandl.

Quote Originally Posted by akubra;[URL="tel:1313259"
    1313259[/URL]]I know it’s over your budget, but if you are ready to spend little bit more, take a look at Sire U5, amazing bass:

Marcus Miller U5 NT MN Short – Thomann UK
    that looks good but yes
    too much dough
    but thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop;[URL="tel:1313202"
    1313202[/URL]]In my experience a Danelectro Long Horn is the way to go. They look long scale because they have extra frets, but short-scale they are.

Here’s a video I did a day after getting mine:

And a thread I started about it here: Danelectro Longhorn Bass
    thanks Rob , sounds good
    , but i can’t get
    along with the looks of that one

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith;[URL="tel:1313227"
    1313227[/URL]]The Ibanez bass you suggested looks fine. Everybody always has to suggest what they like out of left field while completely disregarding the specs of the OP lol. There's no reason not to get that bass. Ibanez is a great brand for inexpensive stuff. Short scale works well for bass too. Bass was my first instrument.
    that’s good to know
    cheers !

Quote Originally Posted by teeps;[URL="tel:1313153"
    1313153[/URL]]Ibanez Mikro 4 or 5 string, Squier VM Jaguar SS, various incarnations of the Beatle bass, well even then Harley Benton PB Shorty can be decent basses at very low price. There are other budget choices - e.g. Gretsch Jr Jet, Epiphone EB - but I havn't tried those. They are differently styled. For general use I would prefer something with a P pickup.
    thanks teeps
    and everyone for suggestions and
    advice
    im gonna go and try out a few
    at a retailer ….

User Info Menu

This is the cheapest 2000's bass from Yamaha.

User Info Menu

The Squier VM Jaguar SS was discontinued a few years back so for that you need to go 2nd hand. But it was very popular and probably the best reasonably priced solid body short scale bass back then. Thats why I got one
    Today I would have been tempted by the Talman. As other have indicated, budget Ibanez'es are generally good bang for the euro.

User Info Menu

thanks teeps
    and everyone for suggestions and
    advice
    im gonna go and try out a few
    at a retailer ….
    This is the best way to see what you’ll get along with.

User Info Menu