The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 39 of 39

User Info Menu

I may be a bit off-bass here with a semi-hijack but,

Playing guitar a goal is often to play smoothly without gaps between notes. But with bass, the space between the notes has a lot to do with the groove, the great players do that so well. Listen to this around the 1 minute mark and focus on how the space between the notes is an integral part of this groove.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I may be a bit off-bass here with a semi-hijack but,

Playing guitar a goal is often to play smoothly without gaps between notes. But with bass, the space between the notes has a lot to do with the groove, the great players do that so well. Listen to this around the 1 minute mark and focus on how the space between the notes is an integral part of this groove.

Why do you make a difference between guitar and bass here? The negative space between notes defines the groove for any instrument.

GSR200B | SR | ELECTRIC BASSES | PRODUCTS | Ibanez guitars

also looking at these
    even shorter scale 28.5”

would that be too short do we think ?

User Info Menu

I think 30" is too short, and 28.5 would be even floppier. Have you played anything in person yet? This is a personal decision.

User Info Menu

String choices narrow in with these sub-short scale. At 30" you can find a nice set of flats.
    I have the 5 string Mikro. It is way more handy than a full scale 34" when I work with music sitting by the desk and have occasionally taking it to a practice session. It sounds reasonable but standing it feels small - because it is. With that I have only one option when it comes to strings.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Yes, flats for 30" scale exist.

User Info Menu

Someone talked about 5 string basses and it's true it's a fine alternative for small hands.
    I'm a bit puzzled about the short scale basses, I'm not sure they are for guitarists, they are still basses, they share the same technique, I think the difference stands more into the tone than the supposed comfort.
    A compact sound, less overtones, maybe less versatility but I'm not sure because you can sound the way you want when you know your instrument.
    With a 5 string bass you can find the two worlds, a lot of overtones or a compact sound on the same instrument without touching the knobs.

Remember, it's a bass, it's supposed to be played.
    A guitarist is generally speaking a "bad" bassist, if you really want to play the bass, you have to learn how it's supposed to be played.
    Gear has nothing to do with playing even if it helps to get the the tone you want by the simplest way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    ... because you can sound the way you want when you know your instrument. ...
    I just want repeat this. It may or may not be true to all, but proper playing technique can get the best out of any instrument.

if you really want to play the bass, you have to learn how it's supposed to be played.
    oh no , just wanna have a messaround with it really ….
    nothing serious

it was prompted when our bass player didn’t turn up the other day
    and i was covering bass on guitar
    and i just thought any kind of bass
    would work better than that !

(i think I’ll go 30” scale)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    oh no , just wanna have a messaround with it really ….
    nothing serious

it was prompted when our bass player didn’t turn up the other day
    and i was covering bass on guitar
    and i just thought any kind of bass
    would work better than that !

(i think I’ll go 30” scale)
    Well, you will sound an octave lower.
    At first maybe you will only play E and A strings and get lost on D and G strings like a lot of guitarists.
    If you like the bass, believe me, you will make more efforts.
    I was like you decades ago but last day I ordered a double bass because people listen with their eyes and because I feel more confident today.

User Info Menu

I'd recommend the Hofners with flats. You can get a great jazz sound out of them. IMHO as close as you can get to an upright . I have an Epiphone Viola bass set up nicely and I'm very happy with it. One day I'll get the actual German made Hofner. It's hollow and under 5 lbs.

User Info Menu

Give the Fender/Squire Jaguar SS serious consideration. Should be close to your price point used. One big advantage is that if you like the bass itself, it’s easy to drop in higher quality pickups, pots, etc. The SS is the classic P bass pickup, with a second jazz bass bridge pickup - standard sizes and many replacement options to choose from. A buddy of mine asked for a recommendation for his beginner daughter and got one of these. After playing it, I liked it enough to add to my stable of Sadowskys, vintage Fenders, and boutique builds. Short scale = fat city.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zigracer
    I'd recommend the Hofners with flats. You can get a great jazz sound out of them. IMHO as close as you can get to an upright . I have an Epiphone Viola bass set up nicely and I'm very happy with it. One day I'll get the actual German made Hofner. It's hollow and under 5 lbs.
    Yes, the "Beatles bass" with flats is also very easy to play. I played a little blues walking bass at a session in summer. It sounded great even with a pick, I was palm-muting at the bridge IIRC. I do not remember if it was a remake or a vintage one. It belonged to the singer of a psychedelic rock band so it might as well have been the latter. It had black coated flats on it, maybe those Rotosounds, very easy on the fingertips. (I am not over-sensitive, I do bends on bass guitars as well. But those nylon-coated flats are really nice. I tried them a second time on a Fender J belonging to a friend recently.)

I think Steinberger headless basses and the Hohner copies are short-scale as well, at least some of them. I saw some used Hohner basses in the 400-600 EUR range recently.