The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
    I wanted to try something new to me and that is Travis picking-kind-of-technique. I made guitar version of old song I really love. It's called Eva from 1959 composed by Benedict Silbermann. It was orginally sung by French singer Jacques Vérrièrs but Olavi Virta made superior version out of it and it's really popular here in Finland.

Here's my version. I hope you like it!

And here's Olavi Virta's version:

Cheers, Mikko

Lähetetty minun SM-A035G laitteesta Tapatalkilla

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That is great playing—love the melody and tone. Which guitar is that? A Takamine?

Just one comment is that Merle played with a thumb pick. I might describe what you’re playing there as hybrid picking, using a pick. One of the premier players of that style is Tommy Emmanuel, also Richard Thompson.

Nevertheless it’s great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    That is great playing—love the melody and tone. Which guitar is that? A Takamine?

Just one comment is that Merle played with a thumb pick. I might describe what you’re playing there as hybrid picking, using a pick. One of the premier players of that style is Tommy Emmanuel, also Richard Thompson.

Nevertheless it’s great stuff.
    Thank you! Yeah, I know they use thumb pick on Travis picking style. But I'm kind of imitating here that walking style they play on the Travis picking style songs.
    Funny thing is that when ever I tryed to buy thumb picks they were always out of them in stores. So I decided that I will go with regular ones.Travis picking
    Guitar is Cort GAPF.

cheers, Mikko

User Info Menu

Nicely played, Mikko. Merle used various rhythmic syncopations too, of course, but they probably wouldn't suit that tune.

I hope this isn't mixing styles or lowering the tone but this is about near-perfect picking as I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Nicely played, Mikko. Merle used various rhythmic syncopations too, of course, but they probably wouldn't suit that tune.

I hope this isn't mixing styles or lowering the tone but this is about near-perfect picking as I've heard.

Thank you! That was perfect indeed and lovely. Travis picking is really nice technique/style and I will try it again on some other tune but it won't be my n.1 style to go with.Travis picking