The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

OK more random midweek musings. I LOVE The Who's Tommy album. It is literally one of my favorite rock albums, and I have listened to it once a month at least for years.

But the soundtrack...haven't heard it in 45 years, though I did buy it when it came out and still own it. I also saw the original movie when it came out (I was 14) and loved it. Though my date didn't care for it--"that's weird!" she said.

Gave it a listen today. It is interesting. First the sound--much more complex and busy sonically than the original Tommy. It was actually produced by Pete Townshend. Some of the session musicians were members of the Faces including Kenny Jones (later Who drummer) and Ron Wood. They back up Tina Turner on the explosive Acid Queen.

The standouts are Clapton's version of Eyesight to the Blind, Tina's version of Acid Queen and Paul Nicholas' version of Cousin Kevin (he is a well-known London stage and screen actor who played lead in several Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals including Jesus Christ Superstar and Cats). These are much better vocally than The Who's. Tina and Paul knock it out of the park, while Clapton's guitar is better than anything else he was doing at the time (though not sure about the Clavinova...).

And pretty much any song with Ann-Margaret (Tommy's mother) is worth a listen. She also brings her A-game and a wonderful feminine edge to the songs. When Oliver Reed (Tommy's stepfather) sings, well, he's not a singer, but he does fit the role of the malevolent stepfather rather well, similar to his role in Oliver!

Elton John's Pinball Wizard is NOT superior to the original, but it is a fun glam-rock version with his own band at the time. And I think Keith Moon could have had a career in musical theater, based on his Fiddling About mugging. "You won't shite as I fiddle abite..."--still seared into my memory, and still fun to listen to. Kinda cringey though.

Anyway, in the end I prefer the more pristine original Tommy, which was produced by the controversial Who manager Kit Lambert, who had pushed them to do more complex albums. It sounds very much like those lovely early-70's albums by Tom Wilson, Bowie and Tom Visconti, with a nice spare soundscape and a lot of space between the instruments. Sparks and Underture--instrumental rock never got any better than that back in the day.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I saw it when it came out, too. I was 15. I think it's the kind of age to see this movie and think it's great. I saw it again on TV with my son when he was 16, great to share this with him.
    I too prefer the original version, it's a music album in itself, by the Who, no need to be supported by images.
    The soundtrack is good as a movie soundtrack, by some different artists as you mentionned, with some gems (IMHO) like Tina Turner's Acid Queen, but I can't separate the soundtrack from the movie.

User Info Menu

Oliver Reed scared the shit out of me in Oliver and Tina Turner scared the shit out of me in Tommy.