The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Live at Daryl's House, featuring Robert Fripp:

Fun episode, which shows off Fripp's lighter side. I got his album with Daryl (Sacred Songs) when it came out in the early 80's and loved it. Still one of my favorites from the era.

What led one of the top pop singers of the day to collaborate with an obscure (except to progheads) player like Fripp? Hard to explain, but it really worked.

I love Fripp's LP. Major guitar envy there. Not so keen on his haircut, but blame that on Toyah.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hall was on Fripp's Exposure.

User Info Menu

Where you can see Fripp smiling while doing Red :

Don't understand his hairdo, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    Hall was on Fripp's Exposure.
    I was obsessed with Fripp and Eno in the early '80's. I bought literally every album they had anything to do with and did so for most of the '80's. I would say I have at least 100 if not more records that were produced by or contributed to by these guys.

So of course I have Exposure...wore out the grooves on that one.

Another favorite from the time is the League of Gentleman, where Bob plays guitar for an all-girl band. Dude was a lot more out there than his image would suggest.

User Info Menu

Darryl doesn't seem to have a clue what Heroes was about. He's a great singer, for sure, but just the wrong voice for that song. But then again, there's only one guy who could sing it...and he's dead. Loved hearing Robert playing his part!

User Info Menu

Robert was all over the place in the late 70’s/early 80’s. On the show he mentions how it was a special time when all kinds of artists came together.

Here’s another one of my favorites: League of Gentlemen. Not too many vids out there of this short-lived group. Apparently they didn’t invest much in stage lighting back then.

User Info Menu

Here’s another recent version of Heroes. Uncanny how much Torah looks like a younger Daryl Hall. No wonder Fripp liked him.

No denying how influential Fripp’s guitar work was on groups of the time and later. He seems to have gotten a lot of ideas from the Velvets, like I’m Waiting for the Man, and Venus in Furs. Who didn’t?

User Info Menu

I've got a few indelible memories of Hall & Oates from back in '85, but this doesn't do anything to me...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Here’s another recent version of Heroes. Uncanny how much Torah looks like a younger Daryl Hall. No wonder Fripp liked him.

No denying how influential Fripp’s guitar work was on groups of the time and later. He seems to have gotten a lot of ideas from the Velvets, like I’m Waiting for the Man, and Venus in Furs. Who didn’t?

The Sunday Lunch Videos were sometimes hilarious.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    I've got a few indelible memories of Hall & Oates from back in '85, but this doesn't do anything to me...
    I never saw H&O back in the day. By the early 80's I was suspicious of anyone who was too polished and popular, and so they were not part of my musical consumption. (I liked the older, more Philly RNB stuff.)

The Hall/Fripp album surprised the heck out of me. It would have been like Tom Jones or Elvis Presley collaborating with Joe Pass. Nonetheless, I loved the album and all the stuff they did together.

I did see Hall and Oates about 7-8 years ago at an outdoor concert. They were fantastic. Superb performers--it was interesting to see how much Oates contributed both with his singing and playing. Hall bounced between guitar and piano--very decent at both. The '80s songs that were so marred by trendy production (drum machines, etc.) came alive with a good band.

Will be interesting to see if Daryl and John perform together again, given the lawsuit over the sale of their backcatalogue.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I never saw H&O back in the day. By the early 80's I was suspicious of anyone who was too polished and popular, and so they were not part of my musical consumption. (I liked the older, more Philly RNB stuff.)
    Actually, I think it was much closer to '82 when Maneater was a hit. That made me 15'ish and discovering the truth (ahem) in those lyrics so hearing that sax solo fill one of those hangar-like gym halls full with schoolmates and pheromones I couldn't care less how polished or popular the song was. The solo still transports me back to that moment.

Besides, I was already into Ultravox and discovering soul & disco music so drum machines - [one could] bring 'em on!
    (Still like U'vox - their drum machine is in fact part human - just disappointed they never brought out any new stuff since getting back together.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Actually, I think it was much closer to '82 when Maneater was a hit. That made me 15'ish and discovering the truth (ahem) in those lyrics so hearing that sax solo fill one of those hangar-like gym halls full with schoolmates and pheromones I couldn't care less how polished or popular the song was. The solo still transports me back to that moment.

Besides, I was already into Ultravox and discovering soul & disco music so drum machines - [one could] bring 'em on!
    (Still like U'vox - their drum machine is in fact part human - just disappointed they never brought out any new stuff since getting back together.)
    Well the first Ultravox album was produced by Steve Lillywhite, with assistance by Brian Eno...who was working with David Bowie and Robert Fripp at the time...the same year that Sacred Songs was recorded...

OMG what a time for interesting, experimental pop music!

Turns out Robert Fripp played on a Hall and Oates song in '78--Don't Blame It on Love.

The song Maneater was written by Hall and Oates and Sara Allen, Hall's former partner for whom he wrote the song Sara Smiles. The H2O album features Larry Fast (famous for synth work with Peter Gabriel) and guitars by GE Smith. Not my favorite production, but I guess they knew what they were doing, as Maneater was their biggest hit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    The Sunday Lunch Videos were sometimes hilarious.

I couldn't watch the Sunday Lunch. It's like walking by your neighbours place when they accidentally (?) left the blind up