Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 43 of 43

User Info Menu

Send in the Clowns

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I probably have the composer and / or the quote wrong, but -

Wasn't it Debussey who said or wrote that he could substitute major chords for minor ones whenever he wished and still keep the tone of the composition ?

TIA

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Body and Soul?
    Round Midnight ('largely' major :-))

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor;1295131[...
    Round Midnight ('largely' major :-))
    Are you sure? Where do you hear that (apart from the picardy thirds in the ends of sections A2 and A3)?

User Info Menu

Some versions have a Gbmaj7 in the A as well. Not monks version.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    Some versions have a Gbmaj7 in the A as well. Not monks version.
    But does that make it a "sad song written in a major key"? I think I start to realize why folks have difficulties memorizing songs... (Not you, Christian.)
    Last edited by Bop Head; 10-27-2023 at 06:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head View Post
    But does that make it a "sad song written in a major key"? I think I start to realize why folks have difficulties memorizing songs... (Not you, Christian.)
    No I am not sure :-), you are right, only traces of major tonality. I just love the tune, and it was a slight chance to bring it up :-)

(I would not go too far on the generalization about folks. Especially not on their difficulties. Besides all of that, in general: if somebody do not remember something, how this pure fact explains the "why?".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor View Post
    No I am not sure :-), you are right, only traces of major tonality. I just love the tune, and it was a slight chance to bring it up :-)

(I would not go too far on the generalization about folks. Especially not on their difficulties. Besides all of that, in general: if somebody do not remember something, how this pure fact explains the "why?".
    I love that tune as well and that is why I was really shocked that someone could really seriously bring it up in the context of major tunes.

User Info Menu

Round Midnight is minor foo. Key signature is 6 flats and it resolves to Eb.

A really sad jazz song is I Surrender Dear. Although it is technically in major because the A section resolves to C major, it spends a lot of time in minor and sounds minor. The A section starts on a D minor tonicized 2 chord and the B section is in the relative minor, A minor the 6 chord.

Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 04-15-2024 at 11:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Now I feel weirdly compelled to argue round midnight is in major haha

User Info Menu

I understand. I generally feel compelled to argue... on any side of any statements. It took me 50 years to understand that I have to control this urge, but I am sure it is obvious in the majority of cases I am loosing this control.

Anyway, one of the most mysterious tune, sad it do not fit more this thread. Maybe it would fit better in a thread titled "Sad songs in minor, hint: Round Midnight"
    Last edited by Gabor; 10-28-2023 at 12:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor View Post
    I understand. I generally feel compelled to argue... on any side of any statements. It took me 50 years to understand that I have to control this urge, but I am sure it is obvious in the majority of cases I am loosing this control.

Anyway, one of the most mysterious tune, sad it do not fit more this thread. Maybe it would fit better in a thread titled "Sad songs in minor, hint: Round Midnight"
    Time for a "mad at minor" thread LOL

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Days of wine and roses?

Related to this - for me, the saddest-sounding chord is a major chord: Maj7b5.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick View Post
    Unrequited love is sad.

Oh, that's sad alright, in so many ways...