The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Ha

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lol, I was like, this is gonna be Jason!

Love his stuff.

User Info Menu

I got the bluez.

User Info Menu

I love these bends on the sax !!!!!

User Info Menu

I generally stay away from this stuff as a player now, but checked out a couple of of "Jason's" videos, and he's great!

User Info Menu

I know nothing of playing saxophone.... is this uber difficult or something (playing guitar-centric patterns on a saxophone)? Or just "fun"? Just curious...

User Info Menu

The notes aren't difficult, but he's trying to match the bends and articulations, which is always difficult to transfer from one instrument to another.

It's also just cool to see the reversal of what usually goes on with musicians transcribing, i.e. guitar players trying to sound like a horn.

User Info Menu

It is indeed a reversal of the usual trend in jazz. The man who got me interested in one day exploring the sound of "fat flats on an archtop" said in a guitar mag interview (c. late 90s?) that he mostly listened to horn players, not other guitarists, which I found curious at the time.That would be Mr Ernest Ranglin.

User Info Menu

I'm so used to hearing horn players and guitarists (like me) play horn stuff that it sounded quite interesting and odd to hear a horn player play guitar stuff. I like it!

And I'm not just talking about the articulation. The phrasing in the faster parts is not what you typically hear hornists do. It's... un-horny.

User Info Menu

^ I noticed that too. It did sound odd, the heavy pentatonic phrasing.

User Info Menu

Well, it sounds like someone who knows a lonely scale.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    I know nothing of playing saxophone.... is this uber difficult or something (playing guitar-centric patterns on a saxophone)? Or just "fun"? Just curious...
    I've been playing saxophone a long time. The intervals aren't hard and the range is fine. It's the way this guy puts it all together with growls and bends that's hard. Very cool stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    I've been playing saxophone a long time. The intervals aren't hard and the range is fine. It's the way this guy puts it all together with growls and bends that's hard. Very cool stuff.
    So it's the... phrasing?... that's different from "normal saxophone"?

User Info Menu

A saxophonist transcribes a guitar solo - this is already a rarity! There are even fewer saxophonists who listen to blues rock (mostly "saxophonist" = "jazz music"). Well, the fact that he does this in a Hendrix T-shirt is funny too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kmatuhin
    Well, the fact that he does this in a Hendrix T-shirt is funny too.
    Flats are good sax keys...
    SRV was tuned down so Texas Flood is in concert Ab.
    Hendrix also tuned down so Power Of Soul is in concert Bb.
    Yes, he does Hendrix, too...
    Have any other Saxophone players ever checked out Jimi Hendrix? - YouTube

User Info Menu

Yes, he does Hendrix, too...
    Lol... He does a great job with that as well but doesn't quite nail it - which just highlights how difficult it is for anyone, even guitarists, to cop Jimi's otherworldly eccentricity... I guess SRV comes as close as anyone but I hear more Albert King than Jimi in his playing.

I'd love to hear a guitarist actually pull off sounding like a saxophone. I don't mean the notes or phrasing so much as where it really counts: the dynamics. I am thinking Stanley Turrentine or Eddie Harris for example. I imagine with some judicious use of the whammy bar and volume pedal one might be able to approach that sort of vocalization that is inherent with saxophone, I guess Jeff Beck had something akin to that - also, interesting how he and Jan Hammer sound so alike on their live album but that's another direction.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by delmastro
    Lol... He does a great job with that as well but doesn't quite nail it - which just highlights how difficult it is for anyone, even guitarists, to cop Jimi's otherworldly eccentricity... I guess SRV comes as close as anyone but I hear more Albert King than Jimi in his playing.

I'd love to hear a guitarist actually pull off sounding like a saxophone. I don't mean the notes or phrasing so much as where it really counts: the dynamics. I am thinking Stanley Turrentine or Eddie Harris for example. I imagine with some judicious use of the whammy bar and volume pedal one might be able to approach that sort of vocalization that is inherent with saxophone, I guess Jeff Beck had something akin to that - also, interesting how he and Jan Hammer sound so alike on their live album but that's another direction.
    I often find that at that point we have lost the heart and soul of the guitar. I love the idea of drawing inspiration from players of other instruments. It's a great way to not sound stale and the same. But trying to be a saxophone on guitar...just learn saxophone, let guitar be guitar. That's just my opinion, and I'm just one person so feel free to ignore me

User Info Menu

To explore sounding like other instruments, I use an old Sonuus G2M (guitar to MIDI, single notes only) into an old Roland Sound Expansion - Orchestra M-OC1.

Saxophonist transcribes SRV solo.-untitled-jpg

Saxophonist transcribes SRV solo.-m-oc1-jpg

With instrument sounds so startlingly different from the guitar, all kinds of ideas for lines emerge that I would never imagine just working from the guitar sound.

User Info Menu

There's a BOSS/Roland unit that does it quite well... lemme see if I can find it. Thought about buying one, but it's just too big and expensive for the amount of use I'd have for it.

I think this is it...

https://www.roland.com/id/products/gr-55/

User Info Menu

just finding this thread and what an outstanding attempt by the sax player!
    I started on tenor(6th grade band) then switched to guitar, growing up in Texas, used to see SRV and learned as much as i could.

Watching this now is like looking backward through a kaleidoscope, in a very good way, because those typical guitar licks certainly do not translate easily to sax. major respect to this player!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    There's a BOSS/Roland unit that does it quite well... lemme see if I can find it. Thought about buying one, but it's just too big and expensive for the amount of use I'd have for it.

I think this is it...

https://www.roland.com/id/products/gr-55/
    That really is very expensive...
    The old Roland M-OC1 are going for about $80 now.
    The new third generation Sonuus G2M (V3) is $100.

I wasn't sure at first how much I'd find use for it; turns out its great for practicing (226 preset sounds) and really versatile in other fun playing situations.

For example, a nice thing about the G2M is that when you are playing with someone who is using a MIDI keyboard for piano, you can use their sounds - you can plug the G2M alone directly into their MIDI IN and have them assign your channel to be a trumpet or whatever. With a switch pedal (A/B or A/B/Y) before the G2M you can change from playing your guitar sound through your amp to playing the keyboard's MIDI trumpet sound through the keyboard's amp, along with the piano sound they are already using.

User Info Menu

I have a Sonuus i2M, could never get it to work without lag

User Info Menu

The old Sonuus devices use the first few cycles of the fundamental to detect the frequency. Low notes on the guitar will be slower to be resolved to a pitch. Best is to play up high, also since it's converting to MIDI the tone control makes no different in tone but if you set it all the way down the reduction in harmonics will allow the pitch discrimination to occur most quickly.

Some devices now only need a quarter cycle of the fundamental to determine the pitch; I don't know if the later versions of the G2M may track faster.

Yeah... it is not hard to outplay the tracking speed (but that's what you're paying for with the expensive implementations).

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info^ Paul, appreciated. Plus, I actually understood it LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    I have a Sonuus i2M, could never get it to work without lag
    I have experienced this even with simple harmonizers (pedal) for guitar; it does get better with each new version of whatever... I currently have a TC harmonizer pedal (Quintessence) that has almost no lag at all... yet the current Boss Harmonizer pedal still has enough lag to bother me.

I would think a guitar synth (that can do many different sounds) would be even tougher to track (or at least tougher to track and sound relatively authentic)