The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ran across this on FB today and got a real kick out of it.
    Love Levon Helm.
    Hadn't heard this song before. (Though I've heard songs a lot like this before.)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I love how he's 'signaling' the verses / changes......

I am embarrassed I don't know what a seasoned pro would call that, but I knew what he meant....( sort of )....( That is, I think I knew )

: )
    Last edited by Dennis D; 10-06-2023 at 01:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Effortless musician.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Effortless musician.
    I know he played mandolin and guitar as well as the drums. And of course he sang. Wonder what else he may have played.
    Lot of guys in The Band played several instruments. Richard Manuel, the pianist, played drums when Levon played mandolin, and he sang too.
    Garth played organ, synth, saxophone, accordian, who knows what else.
    Rick Danko played bass and guitar. Not sure he did anything else. Maybe fiddle???

User Info Menu

Yeah, I don't know either, but someone in The Band could play the fiddle, I am sure. I actually saw Danko and Helm play in the early '80s. It's funny what makes some bands music appealing and others not so much. There is no comparison with, say, The Band with The Eagles for me. Both are in similar genres but I am with John Goodman. I hate The Eagles!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Yeah, I don't know either, but someone in The Band could play the fiddle, I am sure. I actually saw Danko and Helm play in the early '80s. It's funny what makes some bands music appealing and others not so much. There is no comparison with, say, The Band with The Eagles for me. Both are in similar genres but I am with John Goodman. I hate The Eagles!
    I don't hate The Eagles but as Leonard Cohen said of Hank Williams in "Tower of Song" The Band's a hundred floors above them.

One thing about The Band is that they had three lead singers who didn't lose their identities when singing harmony for each other. The Eagles sang more like a choir. (And there's nothing wrong with that.) The Band is an eerily singular group.