The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My good friend asked me to start a thread here to see if anyone played or knows anyone who plays Bata drums as he is learning to play them. I know it is a long shot. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Bata Drums-lp445-png

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I understand bata is a pretty secret society thing. Voodoo and whatever it’s called. I have a friend who studied percussion with a very well known Cuban drummer back in the 70s. He asked about Bata and the guy got very serious and told not even ask him about that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

I've had a bit of experience. I played with a percussionist that used one from time to time. Cubano type stuff. He just had a single in his lap. That's an interesting array in the pic.

I also happened to be in Berkeley in the 70's and ran into a sort of Afro/Cuban drum circle. There were a couple of Batas. I think it was Bill Summers who played Shekere impressively, tossing it high in the air for pause and catching it right on beat. I didn't know either of those instruments at the time and really enjoyed hearing those guys on a fine summer day in the square. They were very very good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    ...Voodoo and whatever it’s called...
    Hi Henry. Santaria I think:

User Info Menu

@Henry and @ccroft Many thanks for the responses and link. Much appreciated!