The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

My bad, the Billy Roberts version has the chromatic run.

also, did you know Billy stole the song from his girlfriend. Her lyrics were different and were about a man apologizing to his girlfriend. she said, “his lyrics speak for itself.” Yipes!
    Last edited by Smelodies; 08-31-2023 at 12:53 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

and the stories continue..on and on..

Jimi uses so many "licks" on the various versions of HJ vids..Im sure one would qualify as a chromatic run

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen

Jimi uses so many "licks" on the various versions of HJ vids..Im sure one would qualify as a chromatic run
    The history of Hey Joe is very complicated and fascinating. It has been credited at times to Dino Valenti (of Quicksilver Messenger Service) interestingly, but generally authorship goes to California folkie Billy Roberts. The Leaves and Love recorded it in '65, but David Crosby's version with the Byrds really popularized it among the Laurel Canyon set.

And then an unknown guitarist influenced by the Love version started playing it in his show. Chas Chandler saw Jimi Hendrix play this very song in New York and decided to bring him to England for touring and recording.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

Jimi Hendrix - Wikipedia

Love the Hendrix version. Can't really imagine any other interpretation after Hendrix. Heck, Dylan didn't even like his own version of Watchtower after Hendrix.

I was listening to an interview with Chas and Noel Redding yesterday re' the making of Axis: Bold as Love. Amazing the process that went into the production, which is underappreciated as the secret sauce that made his albums so compelling.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen

He is talking about the bassline that occurs later in the song: C-E-F-F#-G-B-C-C#-D-F#-G-G#-A-etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    He is talking about the bassline that occurs later in the song: C-E-F-F#-G-B-C-C#-D-F#-G-G#-A-etc.
    Yes. I see Billy Roberts played the same run.

Here’s my recent cover, btw, performed on the Telecaster which I purchased in 2019 because of my hero Robbie Robertson:

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    The history of Hey Joe is very complicated and fascinating. It has been credited at times to Dino Valenti (of Quicksilver Messenger Service) interestingly, but generally authorship goes to California folkie Billy Roberts. The Leaves and Love recorded it in '65, but David Crosby's version with the Byrds really popularized it among the Laurel Canyon set.

And then an unknown guitarist influenced by the Love version started playing it in his show. Chas Chandler saw Jimi Hendrix play this very song in New York and decided to bring him to England for touring and recording.

Jimi Hendrix - Wikipedia

Love the Hendrix version. Can't really imagine any other interpretation after Hendrix. Heck, Dylan didn't even like his own version of Watchtower after Hendrix.

I was listening to an interview with Chas and Noel Redding yesterday re' the making of Axis: Bold as Love. Amazing the process that went into the production, which is underappreciated as the secret sauce that made his albums so compelling.
    Love the three Experience albums. Those three studio albums are Jimi at his best imo. In part because of Mitch. They might have done with a better bassist than Noel though.

User Info Menu

I was listening to an interview with Chas and Noel Redding yesterday re' the making of Axis: Bold as Love. Amazing the process that went into the production, which is underappreciated as the secret sauce that made his albums so compelling
    Hi Doctor Jeff

could you give me a link to that
    interview pls ?

User Info Menu

I was very surprised the first time I heard the original version and it had the chromatic riff. For years I thought Hendrix added it. I'd say he still made the song his own, much like he did with Bob Dylan songs "Like a Rolling Stone" and "All Along the Watchtower".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Hi Doctor Jeff

could you give me a link to that
    interview pls ?
    It was a bonus video on the Apple Music version of the album. Looks like it’s broken up into parts on Youtube. Love Eddie Kramer. Great, great engineer.

Here’s part of it on Youtube: Bold as Love…

And here’s Castles Made of Sand…

User Info Menu

not only is Hey Joe a Hendrix classic ..the solo is well..perfect..

it is said Jimi played the bass lines on some of the Axis tunes

and from the "it is true department" he played the kazoo on Cross Town Traffic

User Info Menu

Jimmy James and the Blue Flames has its own Wikipedia page.

I saw that band back then at the Cafe Wha? Spoke briefly to Jimi about his guitar tuning.

The Wiki article is consistent with what I remember.

He had the amp, which I recall as a Twin, cranked up really loud. He had an open tuning and got chords by blowing on the strings. He played with his teeth, behind his head, slammed the guitar against his hip --- all that show stuff.

He told me it was an E tuning.

The only tune I clearly rememember was Wild Thing, which was a radio hit around that time.

User Info Menu

ahh Cafe Wha..right in the middle of the village,,a long narrow thing..in a sub ground floor setting..dark and expensive drinks

just steps away from the Night Owl Cafe..that gave Tim Hardin the Loving Spoonful and many others some fame

depending on who is telling..Chas Chandler saw Jimi at the Wha and that was the beginning..he took him to the UK and the Experience was born

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    He had an open tuning
    That's the first I've ever heard that he used an open tuning at any time other than tuning his guitar down a half step to Eb for lower tension. He was my guitar idol for a number of years (pre jazz) so I watched what he did very carefully. I never saw him use anything other than standard tuning.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieAG
    That's the first I've ever heard that he used an open tuning at any time other than tuning his guitar down a half step to Eb for lower tension. He was my guitar idol for a number of years (pre jazz) so I watched what he did very carefully. I never saw him use anything other than standard tuning.
    That accords with what I've read. He was always tuning. There's a story that the guys were in the studio once, Jimi was tuning up as they were working on a tune, and Noel Redding got bored and left to go to a pub. He came back awhile later and Jimi was still tuning.

User Info Menu

That accords with what I've read. He was always tuning. There's a story that the guys were in the studio once, Jimi was tuning up as they were working on a tune, and Noel Redding got bored and left to go to a pub. He came back awhile later and Jimi was still tuning.
    Light strings down a half step with a well used Strat style tremolo...for me, I'd probably spend more time tuning than playing.

User Info Menu

Jimi Hendrix - Wikipedia

Hendrix was friends with Arthur Lee of Love.

User Info Menu

did Jimi ever play Axis live ?

I used to be a Hendrix nut
    and particularly loved his
    Curtis Mayfield chord stuff
    and I’ve never heard a live version of Axis ….
    Last edited by pingu; 09-05-2023 at 05:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieAG
    The way I remember it is that he did things like blow on the open strings, making a good sounding chord. The reason I asked him about his tuning was that I had the impression that it wasn't standard - based on watching his fingerings.

He spoke quietly. My memory is that he said something about E tuning, but I don't recall that conversation in detail.