The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

What are your thoughts on the reluctant guitar hero who played short solos and iconic licks seemingly in ebullient fashion, but in actual fact lost interest in solos in the mid ‘60s?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

He played like he was a songwriter, serve the song. Oh yeah, he was a songwriter.

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    He played like he was a songwriter, serve the song. Oh yeah, he was a songwriter.
    You’re right, but at the same time, I loved what little lead he played and wish it were more extended in places. He had a real nice spiky and melodic style with those little fills and passages. Good vibrato, pinch harmonics, tremolo picking…

User Info Menu

Had a knack for coming up with interesting parts that were very memorable and always became major identifiers to the tune. I mean, that intro to "The Weight?" C'mon! That's just acoustic rock perfection.

User Info Menu

I used to love the way he played around the singer.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

RR played with taste. It was about the music, not him.

We could all take a lesson from him in that regard.

User Info Menu

Your thoughts on Robbie Robertson’s guitar playing-img_3643-jpg

Playing with a folk musician made rock gods love him before he was famous.

User Info Menu

Here’s my favourite RR solo from when I was a teenager. Talk about sensitivity to the song!

User Info Menu

I saw him with the Band twice in a matter of a few weeks in the early/mid 70's, both time from less than 30 feet, first in Buffalo and then in Toronto. He was infinitely more impressive than I was expecting and the Toronto show, essentially a home coming was one of the best concerts I've ever been to. His playing was sparkling, economical, and always exactly what was called for in the song at that moment.

User Info Menu

He is a very economical and effective player. He played on a lot of albums in the 70's including Joni Mitchell's and also did quite a few movie soundtracks, especially for his friend Martin Scorcese.

Of course he played like Steve Cropper. Who among his generation didn't??

(I would also list Scotty Moore, Sister Rosetta Tharpe and Merle Travis as influences.)

Without him...there'd be no electric Dylan, and no Band. Nuff said.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Without him...there'd be no electric Dylan, ….
    Dylan started out as a rocker, before he was a folkie. Plus there was a guy called Mike Bloomfield who broke the electric barrier with Dylan at the 1965 Newport festival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Here’s my favourite RR solo from when I was a teenager. Talk about sensitivity to the song!

Robbie’s vibrato, pinch harmonics, and tremolo picking are all on display in this one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    He is a very economical and effective player. He played on a lot of albums in the 70's including Joni Mitchell's and also did quite a few movie soundtracks, especially for his friend Martin Scorcese.

Of course he played like Steve Cropper. Who among his generation didn't??

(I would also list Scotty Moore, Sister Rosetta Tharpe and Merle Travis as influences.)

Without him...there'd be no electric Dylan, and no Band. Nuff said.
    Lots of people of his generation didn't play like Cropper (i.e., all the blues/rock "guitar heros"). I think that was a big part of why RR kept it simple rather than become a flashy soloist. Also, electric Dylan actually happened first with Mike Bloomfield and the Butterfield Blues Band. So there definitely would have been electric Dylan without RR, though obviously no The Band without him.

What I like about RR is that there's a definite personality to his playing, simple but also edgy and a little chaotic. Someone I know describes him as sounding like a chicken being chased by steam roller.

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    What I like about RR is that there's a definite personality to his playing, simple but also edgy and a little chaotic. Someone I know describes him as sounding like a chicken being chased by steam roller.
    That’s a fair description, but I would add that he was melodic in a way a lot of other simple, edgy players are not.

User Info Menu

Robbie played with two keyboard players. It's hard enough for a guitarist to comp with one keyboard player, let alone two.
    Another thing, Robbie (and the Hawks, later The Band) did a lot of gigging when they were young. Ronnie Hawkins was strict with them----he sent Robbie to study with Roy Buchanan--and they played several different styles of music: Dixieland, R&B, folk, country, rock'n'roll, ballads, pop, gospel, you name it.

Being "The Band" means serving the song and although all the guys could play, they were never trying to play everything they knew, just what the song called for. Easier said than done.

Fredo - Richard Manuel and Rick Danko
    Sonny - Levon Helm
    Michael - Robbie Robertson
    Tom - Garth Hudson and Martin Scorsese
    Vito - Ronnie Hawkins and Bob Dylan

Interesting analysis of his playing:

Pehr Smith: Robbie Robertson's Guitar Technique