The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Once upon a time, Jaimoe asked Duane Allman why he wanted two drummers in the band. And Duane said, "Because James Brown has two."
    Good answer.
    Jabo Starks and Clyde Stubblefield recorded many classic sides with James Brown between 1965-1970.
    You can see them both here.

But my favorite two drummer band is the Allman Brothers Band.
    From the closing night at the Fillmore East, 6/27/71, "You Don't Love Me" / "Soul Serenade."

What's your favorite two-drummer outfit? (There are----or at least have been---quite a few of them.)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Snarky Puppy
    "...six drumming musicians are matched by three guitarists and four keyboard players. Again, Snarky Puppy manages to make 19 musicians sound like a single unit"

User Info Menu

The Dead, for sure...even though some of my favorite years are sans Mickey.

I nominate Tortoise.

User Info Menu

There are bands I like that had two drummers, but I didn't like them because of that.

That said, drums and percussion is a different story.

For that, I'll name Los Van Van.

User Info Menu

King Crimson - I assume having three counts since technically they do have two lol

User Info Menu

Sixun : Paco Séry and Stéphane Edouard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    King Crimson - I assume having three counts since technically they do have two lol

I've listened to a lot of their recordings in the last 2 decades. Certainly can't fault the drumming.

But my favorite Crimson drummers are Bill Bruford and Bill Bruford. Can't improve on Bill even with extra hands. Though Jamie Muir did provide percussion on a few of the 70's albums that Bruford played on.

I will also throw out Santana--they have always had someone on Afro-Cuban drums and usually another person on percussion, in addition to their main drummer.

User Info Menu

Why stop at two drummers? Why not two quartets?

User Info Menu

Little Feat. Ritchie and Sam.

User Info Menu

Grateful Dead with Bill Kreutzmann and Mickey Hart, although they occasionally sound like tennis shoes in a dryer. Allman Bros with Butch Truck and Jaimoe, locked in tight. Traffic with Jim Capaldi and Rebop Kwaku Baah (especially "On The Road"). Shakti and Remember Shakti.
    Last edited by Cunamara; 08-28-2023 at 11:09 PM.