The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Has anyone been able to recreate that great Octal amp sound, (Grady Martin sound) in a small hobby/bedroom set up? I'm open to guitar pickup, amp and pedal suggestions - from someone who's had success. In the past I've ready about the Jr. Barnyard pedal but I don't think it gets me there.

Everyone suggest a diff amp, or pedal or pickup - and I've tried many suggestions. All fall short.

If you've been able to recreate that Octal amp sound in a small (5W or less) speaker (or similar) - how did you do it?

Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Have a look at Vintage-47 amps.

Doug

User Info Menu

Don't get the v47 oahu, sounds like s.

User Info Menu

What have you actually tried? Reading about the Jr. Barnyard pedal doesn't mean you've tried it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Don't get the v47 oahu, sounds like s.
    V47 does make several other models.
    Have you tried any of them? Just curious.

D.

User Info Menu

from v47 ive tried the oahu, the spectator, and the tonemaster. the latter two are ok. the oahu was just terrible. it was mostly due to the horrible cabinet design.

You can get a real vintage octal supro amp for a little more than a v47, I'd go that route.

User Info Menu

This may not help, but ...

I still have my first amp, an Ampeg Reverberocket that I bought new in 1964. It uses a 6SN7, 7591s and a couple of others.

When A/B'ed against my DV Mark Little Jazz, it didn't sound all that different. EQ made a much bigger difference than changing amps. And, the sound for chords seemed a little cleaner on the LJ.

After that, the Reverberocket was exiled to the closet even in my own band room.

User Info Menu

You'd have to buy one used, but the reissue Harmony 8418 is this tone in spades. You crank it all the way up and it STILL won't disturb others in the next room watching tv. It is a weak 5 watts, but it's that tone. Grady Martin/Charlie Christian/Junior Barnard.

It is an octal amp, and I suspect much less loud than anything V47 makes. 5W can be quite loud. The Harmony is not. Yes, I own one.

Oh and if you decide it's not quite clear enough for what you want (not enough headroom), swapping in a Weber ribbed cone 6" speaker fixes that too (yes, I also did that. I prefer the stock smooth cone though.)

8418 Reissue Tube Combo Amplifier | Harmony Guitars