The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 85

User Info Menu

Once in a while I will listen to London's Jazz FM. There's also an app for that. I find that they play a more interesting mix of tunes for a smooth jazz station, and I like their British accents.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    "she's" a guy. These guys were jazz school students at some point. I don't think of their stuff as having much to do with smooth jazz, it's more a reminder (to me) that pop music can be really good when done by real musicians who have done the work, rather than by celebrity-wannabes chosen/groomed by MBAs. I think the fact that they cover tunes done by some questionable "talent" (justin bieber, brittany spears) and turn it into good music also makes a statement.....
    Oops, I think I'm getting old and senile.

I agree about musical talent in pop music. I think American radio, maybe the music business as a whole here, limits what we hear. I found E.S.T., Esbjörn Svensson Trio, about a year ago. I created a station on Pandora and the European Jazz groups that were added are never played here. It is "contemporary" jazz. Seems like Jazz in America is anything recorded before about 1980. But here again I'm basing that observation on WRTI's playlists.

Ed
    Last edited by edspyhill01; 01-14-2014 at 12:19 AM.

User Info Menu

One of my all time fav Benson smooth Jazz tunes. Try playing them fast lines.

User Info Menu

LOVE Benson's unprocessed (sounding) tone. It just sounds like a nice guitar plugged straight into a nice amp. Am I wrong about that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gertrude Moser
    LOVE Benson's unprocessed (sounding) tone. It just sounds like a nice guitar plugged straight into a nice amp. Am I wrong about that?
    Sounds un processed to me.

But note 4 things

1 Floating pup
    2 Extremely dead flat wound strings.
    3 Fender medium plectrum (ie not a 3mm lump of plastic)
    4 touch of distortion when he hits the chords.

User Info Menu

It's that touch of distortion that adds to the excitement of his sound. It draws the listener in.

User Info Menu

You think so? I always wince when my amp has a "touch of distortion". I usually attribute it to having a small 1970's solid state amp (Acoustic). Now I feel more professional!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Saw Metheny's name mentioned a couple times. I don't think I've ever heard him referred to as a smooth jazz player -- his chops, his compositions, all his stuff is just monstrous. He plays fusion in his own voice, which happens to be beautiful and frequently smooth. But does sounding smooth alone qualify it as smooth jazz? I thought the answer was "no", but I may be wrong.

Besides, this:

User Info Menu

Something like "we live here" is pretty smooth....but the good kind...sounds like a band, not somebody playing a non improvised solo over a backing track.

User Info Menu

I used to hear tunes like Last Train Home on smooth jazz radio quite frequently. And then all of a sudden he wasn't being played anymore. Wonder if it had to do with his Kenny G rant?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brightsize
    Saw Metheny's name mentioned a couple times. I don't think I've ever heard him referred to as a smooth jazz player -- his chops, his compositions, all his stuff is just monstrous. He plays fusion in his own voice, which happens to be beautiful and frequently smooth. But does sounding smooth alone qualify it as smooth jazz? I thought the answer was "no", but I may be wrong.
    The smooth jazz station in San Diego use to often play Metheny (the smooth jazz format has now vanished in San Diego).

I think being played by stations that play the smooth jazz format makes it smooth jazz, after all who defines what smooth jazz is if it's not the smooth jazz stations. There are monsters being played by the smooth jazz stations.

Even if some of someone's work is defined as smooth jazz by these stations, it doesn't mean that they can't also be classified in other categories also. Metheny has recorded plenty of material that would never be heard on these stations. He get's played on smooth jazz stations; he's that and so much more.
    Last edited by fep; 01-19-2014 at 09:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Smooth jazz is kind of a fusion genre.

User Info Menu

I think the issue is that "real jazz" is often considered the only type of jazz by some (by most up here) . By "real jazz" I mean jazz that you would hear on the Real Jazz station on Sirius. It consists of mostly of RealBook jazz (is that where they get the name Real from?) but there are plenty of tunes which don't appear in any realbook (ie tunes you can find on jazzleadsheets.com). Smooth Jazz is everything else jazz and includes bossa, souljazz, blues jazz, fusion, and yes, even Kenny G, although I don't ever hear him on Watercolors (Sirius' Smooth Jazz station). I don't think it is a "fusion genre", it is much bigger than that.

User Info Menu

If fusion is the combination of jazz and another style than I'd say smooth jazz is a fusion genre. To quote Wikipedia
    "Jazz fusion, fusion, or jazz-rock are variants of a musical fusion genre that developed from mixing funk and R&B rhythms and the amplification and electronic effects of rock music,"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smooth_jazz
    http://www.allmusic.com/style/smooth-jazz-ma0000002860

User Info Menu

I take that back. You don't mean Fusion ala Return to Forever, you mean fusion between two things as we use the verb "to fuse" or to combine in English.

User Info Menu

We didn't call it smooth jazz 40 years ago, the jocks were drunk and listening to Skynyrd and the band nerds were rolling joints on this album cover and wondering, who's Larry Carlton?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan

Take Chaka Khan, Donna Summer, The Bee Gees, I don't know who else, and they are all Disco
    Chaka Khan ... disco? Certainly not here.

User Info Menu

Re: LA Express, nice and smooth, but not too soft. Fourplay is soft. LA Express is not.

Re;Chaka Khan, isco, or not, she's one of the more underrated artists in ..., whatever.

User Info Menu

I like Rufus too. Nathan East from Fourplay is a monster player, in fact that whole band is a group of all stars IMHO.

User Info Menu

while on Chaka Khan ..., not really Jazz, but solo guitar version, ...

User Info Menu

Post it to "Showcase". I think you need some proper controller for melody instrument and larger sample library, to make it sound even less MIDI. It starts super really nice, but over the course of the tune MIDI rears it's ugly head. IM most HO.

User Info Menu

while on Chaka Khan ..., not really Jazz, but solo guitar version, ...

Just...

Awesome

User Info Menu

Post it to "Showcase". I think you need some proper controller for melody instrument and larger sample library, to make it sound even less MIDI. It starts super really nice, but over the course of the tune MIDI rears it's ugly head. IM most HO.
    Thanks, will do. I don't want to get carried away with realism. I lowered the piano and bass a hair and brought up the snare. That's going to have to do. I'm all midi so no realtracks or anything like that. I'll post in showcase in the future.

User Info Menu

The only reason I would start using a midi controller is to do comping on the piano parts for jazz tunes. I can't play the piano very well but it's something to keep in mind for the future. As far as the sax melody that's getting tossed later. It's simply a guide. There's a little tamborine roll that's very annoying somewhere.

I'm going to start listening to Dizzy and how he comps on the keys.