The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 49

User Info Menu

i love guitar, I love Brazilian music, and I love singing, and therefore I am trying to now find as many Brazilian/singer guitarists (musicians that both play guitar and also sing at the same time) as possible so I can see how they do it?
    So please can people in the know about this provide me with as many influences as possible? Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

here are some of my favorites (not all are considered 'current' artists):

joão gilberto, dorival caymmi, dori caymmi, gilberto gil, jorge ben (jor), the aforementioned joyce, carlos lyra, baden powell (primarily a guitarist and definitely not a good singer, but i dig him anyway), joão bosco, seu jorge (actually, he plays cavaquinho), sivuca, mílton nascimento, edú lobo, djavan, caetano veloso, carlos lyra, filó machado (insanely cool chord changes), lisa ono (brasilian japanese), marcos valle, oscar castro-neves (primarily a guitarist, but he sings every now and then), paulinho da viola, rosa passos (a joão gilberto disciple), vinícius cantuária, and paulinho garcía. that should be a good start—now go to it!
    Last edited by patskywriter; 05-03-2012 at 01:57 PM.

User Info Menu

toquinho

Thankyou all so much (and please if there are more I would love to hear about as many as possible please?)

patskywriter

JOAO GILBERTO - INSENSATEZ -- (#edit, OK here is the video I was talking about) I have watched this Youtube video where he plays guitar and sings this song. It utterly moves me. I just want to go on about this for a while : This song and tune is very strange to me. It SEEMS very gentle but underneath--my experience anyway--there is this incredible deep soulful rhythm and feeling which moves me intensely. it is like this Body&Soul Massage going on for me which physically makes me move also. A lot is to do with the subtle voicings and colours, but also the words and meaning of the song.
    And, the way he sings and plays it in this video (I will wait to link it because I am not sure how to do the code to show the video yet, as Jim Soloway does, so when I find out I will edit this post and add it.) Is SO sensitive, it is all very moving indeed. I VERY VERY much want to learn how to play this. I have watched a little from the video how he is playing it and it looks quite 'simple' ....
    Last edited by elixzer; 05-02-2012 at 01:58 PM.

User Info Menu

ana caram (and all of patskywriter's)

User Info Menu

how could i have forgotten egberto gismonti?! also guitarist luíz bonfá sang on occasion.

User Info Menu

Roberto Menescal

User Info Menu

ahaaaaa, great find! I also LOVE the Brazilian language, Portugese. It just suits that music. Is so flowing, so rich and sensual... So much full of spirit and life. When I sing, not knowing this language I have to do a kind of scat that--to me --is giving a flava of that language lol. I may very well be inspired to learn Portugese if I get confident with this music.
    This would be no different than me trying to sing like AfroAmerican Deep South when I sing Delta Blues. I couldn't imagine trying to get down into Delta Blues with my usual accent haha

and doesn't flute sound great with guitar?

I thought this a funny little interlude I wan to bookmark for this thread. I was in a search for finding a musician singing Insensatez. First such is Jobim himself, but he is on piano. So I remembered I had forgot to add 'guitar' and then clicked on this guitarist/singer. I LOVE his voice, but all you get is a still picture ...But it was worth it because I love how he plays, and his voice is to die for. Where the arrangement goes wrong for me is about 1:41. This subtle change of the music is for me the most potent, but is ruined for me by the other instruments arrangement. it should be darker than that. or--rumber, a word i just made up lol

ps--If any here can show me guitarist/singers (more moere more) but for now playing and singing this song, I will be grateful.
    Last edited by elixzer; 05-16-2012 at 04:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Portugese does kick ass...got all the nice sounds of Spanish with that "zh" sound common in French. One of the most musical sounding languages I can think of...

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Portugese does kick ass...got all the nice sounds of Spanish with that "zh" sound common in French. One of the most musical sounding languages I can think of...
    Oh yeah, same here!! it is VERY sensual and rhythmic . In fact I am so gone on it that if I get half good playing the music I may learn the language proper. I already have sung it blind so to speak, because I have sung with the lyrics of this amazing Brazilian singer/musician who I love

Yamandu Costa

HI, He is an amazing guitarist, but this thread is asking about guitarists who also sing whilst playing

Sorry. Jobim, Joao Gilberto. Also Caetano Veloso is one of the greats.

it is annoying how the camera does not also show him playing guitar as he sings. This is what I want to see

User Info Menu

Lots of great performers/composers have already been mentioned. I will add one of my favorites:

Toninho Horta

I personally would call him a genius-level composer, an excellent arranger, an extremely versatile guitarist (lots of sound colors, from traditional nylon sounds to rock-like electric guitar dripping with distortion), and an effective singer. Pat Metheny has collaborated with him, and has spoken very highly of him as well. You will find Toninho playing on Milton Nasimento albums and on albums by many other Brazilian luminaries as well.

Toninho Horta - Beijo partido - YouTube
    Last edited by JoeDeF; 11-02-2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: trying to get video to show....

User Info Menu

I am big fan of Yamandu Costa.
    If you havent's seen him with accordeonist Renato Borghetti, you should definitely watch it. He's simply amazing, same Renato.

Yamandu Costa with Renato Borghetti - Video on GuitarTube

Yamandu is rarely singing, but he does. He's also great accompanist.
    Last edited by yazzoo; 11-02-2012 at 09:16 PM.

Thanks, but can I remind people here that the purpose of this thread was for me to SEE& HEAR Brazilian guitarists who sing while they play guitar so I can see how they do it for my own learning and inspiration.

Joao Gilberto

Toquinho

Roberto Menescal

Carlos Lyra

Djavan

Gilberto Gil

Chico Buarque

Jobim plays with Sinatra

User Info Menu

Thanks for the post and link for Renato..
    I,too, play the box..
    Renato is playing a hybrid 2 1/2 row diatonic with a Stradella bass system... sometimes known as a "mixte"
    He is a master of the style and a perfect match Yamandu, another of my favorites.

User Info Menu

Joao Bosco.. another of my favorites....