Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 116

User Info Menu

Our standard for Nov 2017 will be How High the Moon - by Morgan Lewis and Nancy Hamilton (1940).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (How High the Moon)

Contrafacts:
    Lennie Bird - Lennie Tristano
    Ornithology - Charlie Parker, Benny Harris
    Satellite - John Coltrane

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great standard!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Hey, Ragman. Are you making your backing tracks with a looper or a recording program of some sort?
    Completely unhindered by talent.

User Info Menu

I love that song

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by artdecade View Post
    Hey, Ragman. Are you making your backing tracks with a looper or a recording program of some sort?
    I have no equipment beyond a laptop and an acoustic guitar. I use the computer's in-built mike and record into Audacity, a free downloadable sound recording/editing program. I put the chords in, then the bass line. The bass line is pitch-altered down an octave.

Normally I just play one chorus. Then I duplicate and connect the choruses up as many times as necessary. That ensures it's all at the same speed, level, etc. That makes the backing, then I solo over it. The lead line is given a touch of reverb otherwise it sounds a bit dull. That's all.

Sometimes I solo one chorus at a time and then connect them, sometimes connect them first then solo all the way through. Occasionally, if it sounds sluggish or too low, I change the speed. Also I can overdub and play more than one lead line. I can also edit if necessary.

When all that's done the last chorus will have the last chord hanging so I put in an ending and tidy everything up. That's the whole process.

I'm well aware that the quality is pretty dire but, frankly, for the internet it doesn't matter. I could use my archtop and an audio interface with an external mike, etc etc, but all that costs money, is very fiddly, and unnecessary for what I'm doing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    I have no equipment beyond a laptop and an acoustic guitar. I use the computer's in-built mike and record into Audacity, a free downloadable sound recording/editing program. I put the chords in, then the bass line. The bass line is pitch-altered down an octave.

Normally I just play one chorus. Then I duplicate and connect the choruses up as many times as necessary. That ensures it's all at the same speed, level, etc. That makes the backing, then I solo over it. The lead line is given a touch of reverb otherwise it sounds a bit dull. That's all.

Sometimes I solo one chorus at a time and then connect them, sometimes connect them first then solo all the way through. Occasionally, if it sounds sluggish or too low, I change the speed. Also I can overdub and play more than one lead line. I can also edit if necessary.

When all that's done the last chorus will have the last chord hanging so I put in an ending and tidy everything up. That's the whole process.

I'm well aware that the quality is pretty dire but, frankly, for the internet it doesn't matter. I could use my archtop and an audio interface with an external mike, etc etc, but all that costs money, is very fiddly, and unnecessary for what I'm doing.
    Hi ragman1,
    Why you do not use playalong tracks from youtube?
    There are a lot very good quality backing tracks with exelet time.
    Good motivation for practise and creative improvisation.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Great solo on upright bass:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post
    Hi ragman1,
    Why you do not use playalong tracks from youtube?
    I do, many of them, but I also like making my own. It's more fun :-)

User Info Menu

I'm well aware that the quality is pretty dire
    I dunno I thought it was awesome.
    Need to practice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pushkar000 View Post
    I dunno I thought it was awesome.
    Well, through headphones in a quiet room on a computer it's about okay for me. Coming through a mobile, which maybe quite a few people use, I'm not sure. It certainly doesn't compare at all to a pro recorded track.

User Info Menu

Well, through headphones in a quiet room on a computer it's about okay for me. Coming through a mobile, which maybe quite a few people use, I'm not sure. It certainly doesn't compare at all to a pro recorded track.
    Yeah I used headphones and it was nice. With a play-along, I don't like the sound of an acoustic solo. Acoustic + acoustic = pleasant.
    Need to practice!

User Info Menu

With a play-along, I don't like the sound of an acoustic solo.
    Neither do I much, although if the levels are right and the tone's okay it can pass.

User Info Menu

This is my take....:-)
    Fast tempo gipsy comping.Not easy to play fast tempo without the pick...I have to practise more fast tempos...
    I use my new Hamadyk arch-top guitar with single mode humbucker.
    Best
    Kris
    https://app.box.com/s/fwo1fo026dd8hwyy2jpld9ggz5n4xl0c

ps.
    New evening take-better!
    Last edited by kris; 11-06-2017 at 05:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Look at my new version/evening uploaded/.After practising two houers in fast tempo I am quite happy...:-)
    Enjoy
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

About 2½ minutes on that one.

Try 60 years with little breaks here and there
    Ok.

User Info Menu

Even John can't get his name spelled right.

Man, he sounds good here.

This tune has always given me fits. I'm going to try a cold take today (and post it) and prove to myself I can play it Stand by tonight for some comedy.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

First take this evening...well, first take without a barking dog or kids asking for a peek at the still remaining Halloween candy. I dunno. Comments and criticisms welcome!

Last edited by mr. beaumont; 11-10-2017 at 10:36 AM.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

User Info Menu

A crack at the head and one chorus of aimless flailing. Feedback welcome, and as always, I'm deeply sorry.

Jay

'boobadoobadoobaooababop!'

User Info Menu

Ok? It means I stopped trying to be a smartass long ago. Open strings don't worry me.

Shouldn't you be answering those posters who'd like to know what you were playing on your Dm thing? You said you'd do it for them. Or are you not exactly sure? Did you make those lines yourself?

(This is called quid pro quo. You ask me a question, I ask you a question :-))
    I have a gigs till the begining of December...I will make it when I will be free.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    ... Cmoments and criticisms ...
    Better than Grant Green. Very good overall. You would be welcomed in any Jazz Club gigging band.
    I've noticed some hesitation, occasionally, like waiting to hear, be sure it sounded good before continuing with the idea. On couple noodling spots I'd skip a string, or two, for wider interval.

Sent from VladanMovies @ YouTube
    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

User Info Menu

Vladan -

You know, Jeff's done some lovely stuff in his time. It's on his YouTube channel. He could easily make a really nice CD. Like this:

Sorry, not How High The Moon.

User Info Menu

First take this evening...well, first take without a barking dog or kids asking for a peek at the still remaining Halloween candy. I dunno. Cmoments and criticisms welcome!

My "1 cent" coment,
    Jeff you are on good way to play gigs with real jazz musicians.
    I think this will be a good expieriece for you...I am still learning from playing live gigs.
    Jazzingly
    Kris
    ps.
    I like your sound very much.

User Info Menu

Crap, complete crap.

but really I think it might be CD time. I'd buy it. You've got the touch, know what I mean? Beard's coming on nicely too :-)
    Well thank you. Someday, perhaps, even if it's just little pretty solo things...
    The beard ebbs and flows, but it's "no-shave November" here, so it'll get a little "extra" this month.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan View Post
    Better than Grant Green. Very good overall. You would be welcomed in any Jazz Club gigging band.
    I've noticed some hesitation, occasionally, like waiting to hear, be sure it sounded good before continuing with the idea. On couple noodling spots I'd skip a string, or two, for wider interval.

Better than Grant? Get outta here! (love me some some GG) But thank you, and thanks for actually listening and noticing some stuff.

Hesitation? Definitely. I was really trying to "hear" this solo and not play licks...but I hadda wait for my ears to catch up in a few spots! Noodling? You betcha...consciously thinking about stuff like string skipping is probably a good idea--when I get into things, my inner Jerry Garcia comes out...I don't think I'll ever get rid of that completely--he's the only guitar player I ever tried to sound like, even though that was 20-odd years ago that I did.

My "1 cent" coment,
    Jeff you are on good way to play gigs with real jazz musicians.
    I think this will be a good expieriece for you...I am still learning from playing live gigs.
    Jazzingly
    Kris
    ps.
    I like your sound very much.
    Thanks Kris. I have gigged a lot...but not "real" jazz. Cocktail stuff. And solo gigs...but is that jazz? I don't really think so. And I've been on a long break, trying to get my shit together musically, and being a dad...I'd love to play with real jazz musicians...Chicago's a tough scene--guitar players are a dime a dozen, and we have some incredible ones here in town. There's very little middle ground with jazz musicians here, they either suck and don't really play jazz, or they're so damn good an amateur like me doesn't stand a chance. I keep at it though
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

User Info Menu

First take this evening...well, first take without a barking dog or kids asking for a peek at the still remaining Halloween candy. I dunno. Cmoments and criticisms welcome!

(Mostly) three-fingered - sounding good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot View Post
    (Mostly) three-fingered - sounding good.

Interestingly, while I adopted the three finger left hand style out of laziness as a teenager, most of the jazz players I listened to and stole the most from were/are also 3 finger players, a fact I didn't realize until recently.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

User Info Menu

Hi, here's my attempt. Painful tune to go through and somehow I kept losing it after one chorus so here's the head and one chorus. Still lots to work on and I appreciate all feedback. I would've liked to play it a little slower but I wasn't really able to make the head sound nice at a slower tempo.

Need to practice!

User Info Menu

After hearing all the other takes on the thread, I feel a little embarrassed posting mine, but what the hell. One thing I immediately noticed is how good everybody's time is compared to mine. Really nice playing from everybody. Excited to join in next month too.
    Need to practice!

User Info Menu

Hi, here's my attempt. Painful tune to go through and somehow I kept losing it after one chorus so here's the head and one chorus. Still lots to work on and I appreciate all feedback. I would've liked to play it a little slower but I wasn't really able to make the head sound nice at a slower tempo.

nice!
    interesting lines with good time!
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Interestingly, while I adopted the three finger left hand style out of laziness as a teenager, most of the jazz players I listened to and stole the most from were/are also 3 finger players, a fact I didn't realize until recently.
    Sounds like 'jazz' on a guitar to me (rather than 'guitar jazz').

User Info Menu

Vladan
    -
    You know, Jeff's done some lovely stuff in his time ..,
    Ragman1, maybe you do not know, it's been probably 5 years already since I publicly, on this forum, nominated Mr. Beaumont as one of 3 forum members, I wished to be as good as they are (Mr. B for solo guitar, other two being Soco Jostein for single lines and Reg for his uber Jazz cat thing). In this clip Mr.B is killing single lines, not for the first time.
    What I meant above, thank you, I'm well aware of what you are trying to draw my attention to.

^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan View Post
    Ragman1, maybe you do not know, it's been probably 5 years already since I nominated Mr. Beaumont as one of 3 forum members, I wished to be as good as they are (Mr. B for solo guitar, other two being Soco Jostein for single lines and Reg for his uber Jazz cat thing). In this clip Mr.B is killing single lines, not for the first time.
    What I meant above, thank you, I'm well aware of what you are trying to draw my attention to.
    Hello Vladan - sorry, I didn't know. Quite right. You have excellent taste!

User Info Menu

Holy Crap! That is mind-bendingly wonderful playing! Made my day!
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

This tune has always given me fits.
    Me too , nice take by the way Mr B ! ,
    I think I get the two B sections mixed up
    and lose the form in my head ....

Gotta keep the tune going in my head I guess

I like how you play at the 5th fret in G
    (or the 3rd fret in F ....)
    I realised I'm quite weak in that position , uncomfortable there , I guess its
    the D shape of CAGED

Gonna shed that some more tonight
    Thanks for the inspiration man

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    Me too , nice take by the way Mr B ! ,
    I think I get the two B sections mixed up
    and lose the form in my head ....

Gotta keep the tune going in my head I guess

I like how you play at the 5th fret in G
    (or the 3rd fret in F ....)
    I realised I'm quite weak in that position , uncomfortable there , I guess its
    the D shape of CAGED

Gonna shed that some more tonight
    Thanks for the inspiration man
    Thanks man, thanks everybody for the nice comments and constructive stuff. I'm clearing some listening time tonight to return the favor.

And yes, it's the two "endings," when I get to into things it's easy for me to forget where I am...It's funny, I spend a lot of time trying to "feel" tunes in larger movements, but this one benefits from going a little smaller, 2 to 4 bar chunks for me...
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

User Info Menu

nice!
    interesting lines with good time!
    Best
    Kris
    Thank you! Its encouraging that you say my time was good because comparing my take to yours and others here, I feel like I have too many slip-ups - still a long way to go. Well, back to the shed for now...
    Need to practice!

User Info Menu

I'm thinking of starting a fake profile as Grant Green and letting rip at Vladan lol.

User Info Menu

Mind you have just spent half an hour on youtube pretending I don't know who John Mayer is. (I kinda don't actually, and I intend to keep it that way.)

User Info Menu

Improvised:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    A crack at the head and one chorus of aimless flailing. Feedback welcome, and as always, I'm deeply sorry.

i like this, man...real thought given to phrasing, and great tone.

i second kris, I think your time sounds pretty damn good. Good lines, too.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

User Info Menu

This is my take....:-)
    Fast tempo gipsy comping.Not easy to play fast tempo without the pick...I have to practise more fast tempos...
    I use my new Hamadyk arch-top guitar with single mode humbucker.
    Best
    Kris
    https://app.box.com/s/fwo1fo026dd8hwyy2jpld9ggz5n4xl0c

ps.
    New evening take-better!
    I wasnt sure at first--I thought, "kris' loose modern feel over a stiff gypsy track?"

But then whoa, you got cooking!

No pick? Daaaang!
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

User Info Menu

This is easily one of my favorite of your posts....vibe reminds me of how dawg or tony rice's groups tackle a standard. Sounds great.
    Thanks. TR did the solo on Emmylou Harris' version. I can't say it's a favorite of mine though. It's not quite 'jazz' - but maybe mine isn't either. I don't really know. What is a 'real' jazz version apart from chord melody?

Sonny Rollins did his one and there's a guitar solo by Barney Kessell which might qualify...

User Info Menu

By the way, I noticed the melody for “Call Me” fits over the first 9 bars of “How High the Moon”. Try playing HHTM over Lenny Breau’s Call Me and you’ll see what I mean. Of course the phrasing is completely different and it falls apart later where the harmony takes a different path. Plus CM has a bridge that HHTM lacks. It’s a brain bender to try to play one melody while hearing the other.
    Last edited by KirkP; 11-13-2017 at 01:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Nice job mate, we are all our own worse critics which is exactly how it should be.

If I was going to give any advice re time - and I give it only because this is what I notice in my own playing and want to work on on my own stuff - it would be try playing the melody through while counting the beat either in 4/4 or 2/2. I find that really helps me get a feel of exactly where the rhythm I'm playing sits with reference to the beat.

It would help you lock in some of those melody syncopations just a little tighter.

Be warned - though it sounds simple, it is harder to this than it sounds.

But I think you have a really nice feel naturally....

Re rhythmic phrasing and this is more a suggestion on something to stimulate creativity than feedback per se - have a go at this exercise. Try starting each phrase on the next 8th of the bar. So first phrase starts on 1, next phrase on 1+, next on 2 and so on until you are back to one. Hard to do, especially at this tempo.

I also like the Barry Harris exercise where you have this line starting on 1 and ending on 1

1 6 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
    And you take one note away while keeping the phrase end in the same place
    6 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
    7 6 5 4 3 2 1
    6 5 4 3 2 1
    etc

(You can do this with any phrase. So it's a good way to learn where all the beats and upbeats are and allows you to get more out of lines you already play.)
    Last edited by christianm77; 11-12-2017 at 07:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post

Good grief what is it with people apologising for their really nice playing haha?

'Never apologise for your playing' Duncan Lamont

That's my feedback!

I think that's too fast for you. It doesn't have to be slow, just a bit slower than that. Why not give it another spin?
    You are unrelenting lately with comments on others playing. The truth is that you simply don't have good enough time to comment so much on other player's time, especially in direct CONTRADICTION to players who are far superior to either of us. You are apparently inferring the wrong message from others' graciousness and restraint regarding your own playing posts.

User Info Menu

Edited - cut to the three-finger chase:
    Quote Originally Posted by destinytot View Post
    Improvised:
    Last edited by destinytot; 11-12-2017 at 08:50 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks christian and mr. b for your comments! Christian, I find myself appreciating your prescence here a lot recently, what with the tea for two recording and now these time exercises! (christian put up a killer take of tea for two, you can find it in the songs section)

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher View Post
    You are unrelenting lately with comments on others playing. The truth is that you simply don't have good enough time to comment so much on other player's time, especially in direct CONTRADICTION to players who are far superior to either of us. You are apparently inferring the wrong message from others' graciousness and restraint regarding your own playing posts.
    I appreciate ragman's comment and I try to give value to all feedback I receive. I enjoyed his recordings! I'm really glad that some of the super skilled folks had good things to say about my recording, but I'm quite sure they know - as do I - that there are things to improve there! But in their case, I'm inclined to think the best way to learn from them is to just listen to their recordings, try to stuff as much as you can in your pockets and run away!

@ragman - when the tempo drops a little, I do find myself instantly feeling a lot more comfortable, and at first, yes, I was considering putting up a slower take. But I think that's not the approach I should be taking. I've resolved to continue hacking away at this tempo until I nail it. And conversely, I need to work on playing the head nicely at a slower tempo - which, try as I might, I wasn't able to do for some reason.

Here's my version of the famous Parker parable - I went to a jam a year ago, asked for There Will Never Be Another You and they said ok. Now I was comfortable playing it at a medium tempo. But these guys just went in like Clifford Brown was on the bandstand! And there I was, a sitting duck caught in the crossfire. To this day, it was one of the most embarrassing things that I have experienced. Nobody threw a cymbal at me(I could swear the drummer was considering it!), but everybody on the stand and sitting at the bar knew I had messed it up bigtime. So one of the things I resolved to do was work on my technique and facility at all tempos.
    Need to practice!

User Info Menu

@ragman - when the tempo drops a little, I do find myself instantly feeling a lot more comfortable, and at first, yes, I was considering putting up a slower take. But I think that's not the approach I should be taking. I've resolved to continue hacking away at this tempo until I nail it. And conversely, I need to work on playing the head nicely at a slower tempo - which, try as I might, I wasn't able to do for some reason.
    Thanks. Playing very fast and playing very slow are both tricky and I admire your determination. Actually quite a few artists have recorded How High at a medium pace and it was a song originally, of course. But I'm sure you know all that. But all the best anyway, I'm certainly no boy racer myself :-)