The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 44 of 44

User Info Menu

Personally, i'm in awe of Dexter Gordon's version of this, AndrewPat.
    Whenever i do a song, the first thing i normally do is listen to a great vocal version, because i want not only the chords and the melody but also the lyrics in my head when i play it.
    Unfortunately, i didn't do that this time, and look at what a mess i made of the chorus section by reading the lead sheet incorrectly! Lesson learned, though.
    Ella Fitzgerald is usually one of the first i'll check out and she didn't let me down; i've got it all in my head now.
    i also checked out Billie Holiday's take as well as Nikki Yanovsky's and George Michael's and i'll see if i can find a version
    by Frank Sinatra before i'm done.
    Most of the time, just Frank and Ella will do it for me in fact, but it's interesting to see what other singers will do with a tune, just as listening to the different versions you folks post here in this thread is enlightening to me.
    Last edited by dogletnoir; 10-17-2015 at 08:06 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Guys, don't forget to internalize the lyrics. This song originally had lyrics:

"You've Changed"

I've an awfully feelling
    That this thought that's been a stealin thru my brain
    Is not to be ignored
    But to really tell the truth
    Though I'm not a well known sleuth
    I honestly believe that you are bored
    You've changed

That sparkle in your eyes is gone
    Your smile is just a careless yawn
    You're breaking my heart
    You've changed

You've changed
    Your kisses now are so blase
    You're bored with me in every way
    I can't understand
    You've changed
    You've forgotten the words, "I love you"
    Each memory that we've shared
    You ignore every star above you
    I can't realize you've ever cared
    You've changed

You're not the angel I once knew
    No need to tell me what we're through
    It's all over now
    You've changed

I love literature and poetry as much as I love music. There's real pain, a cutting into the soul and ripping of the wound here. I wanna portray that with my arrangement of the ballad. I think Billie conveys that best:

She rips into my chest, pulls my heart out while it still beats, and crushes it with her singing here. This is story telling at its finest, IMO. She isn't just singing pitches, or "playing the changes". She is exposing herself in her most vulnerable state to communicate the message of this song. Billie's own strife really comes through in this song and that's what makes it hard to listen to at times for me. She communicates the pain so profoundly that it becomes painful (but still hauntingly beautiful) to listen to.

This is what Roland Barthes explained as the punctum of a piece of art:

“What pricks me is the discovery of this equivalence. In front of the photograph of my mother as a child, I tell myself: She is going to die: I shudder… over a catastrophe which has already occurred. Whether or not the subject is already dead, every photograph is this catastrophe.”

“Henceforth I would have to cosent to combine two voices: the voice of banality (to say what everyone sees and knows) and the voice of singularity (to replenish such banality with all the élan of an emotion which belonged only to myself).”
    Last edited by Irez87; 10-17-2015 at 08:34 AM.

User Info Menu

First time making it before month's end ...
    http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp...anged%2002.mp3

User Info Menu

M-ster, You've done it again! Your version is beautiful with great tone, wonderful lines and really good approach to the song. I especially like the part where you where you upped the tempo and cut loose with some really exciting lines. It's
    a superb arrangement!

My version is below but if I have time, I will do another one because I think this one is too repetitive.

https://app.box.com/s/rj0bk5bryozx3en2f1p5vskixspadmce

best wishes,

wiz

User Info Menu

M-ster, very soulful. I really enjoyed listening and will lesten a bunch of times. Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

M-ster, I would like you to stop telling a story with your solo and start playing the chord changes more... Said no one ever

See, this is what telling a story with a song sounds like. M-ster has the 4 C's of story telling here:

1. Conflict

2. Causality

3. Character

4. Complication

I heard some Billie Holiday in this, M-ster. Beautiful, brother, beautiful!

User Info Menu

Lovely stuff M-Ster, great polished playing. Did u record the piano yourself separately? Or is a friend playing piano in duo?

I'll be stealing a few lines that's for sure ;-)

User Info Menu

Thank you, gentlemen. I appreciate the positive comments.

Irez mentions Billie Holiday, but I ended up keying in on Nikki Yanofsky's version(s) as I learned this one. In particular, I liked her slower tempo and interpretation of the melody. She has a nice arrangement, too.

Andrew asks about the piano. (There's an upright bass in there in addition to the guitar and piano, so it's a trio, btw. ) This month, I recorded the guitar first, using an iRealb background. Then I pieced together the piano and bass tracks, relative to the guitar track.

User Info Menu

You are a musician with a capital M, M-ster.

But, stop keeping us waiting. When are you gonna give us some playing with a full band? If you ever come over to NYC, I could invite you to play with the Brooklyn Jazz Collective (thank goodness we don't live in San Fran )

Everyone deserves to play with a band. But I would be curious to hear how much farther your creative juices would take you with a real band.

Do you have any samples of such?

Loved your storytelling on that last contribution, honest

User Info Menu

OK, one more attempt:
    You've Changed (again)

User Info Menu

And here's my humble offering:

User Info Menu

Here's mine:

User Info Menu

Nice, guys!

User Info Menu

Love this tune! here's a couple takes of me trying to play the melody, didn't want to get stuck in it so I just recorded the first two.

https://soundcloud.com/user-59389690...changed-take-2

User Info Menu

There's a nice old school "funky", but still "classic jazz" (hate labels) mentality to that cut, masto.

I really enjoyed it.

User Info Menu

I might have to post another version, just to tread water with you all here. Beautiful stuff. I think this might be the best practical standards thread I've seen yet

User Info Menu

Hey guys, new to this thread. I always see it and mean to take part more... but always get busy. Not sure if I'm breaking any rules by sharing a take of the month's tune that I recorded some time ago... sorry if I am.

I fell madly in love with this tune about a year ago, learned it, played it at this one gig, then got insanely busy just after it. I haven't been gigging much or even working on my repertoire, so I don't remember the tune very well. But this thread reminded me I had a recording of it. Listening back to it makes me excited to get grad school behind me so I can start working on my standards and gigging again... and to relearn this tune.

User Info Menu

what's with the soundcloud links not working? Is it just me?

User Info Menu

I really like everyones versions so far!
    I didn't really get around to practicing the tune but since I voted for it I feel like I should post a version.
    A couple of mistakes (like the rather unusual use of a D over the Bb-7 chord before the bridge :-) ) and a slightly out of intonation high e string.
    I really love this tune though.