The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

This song will have 2 backing tracks.

The first track (Based on the Real Book 1 version) is a good BIAB track with a tempo of 180 ish, a 4-bar intro, 3 choruses, Latin to swing section and a standard ending. Thank you, Tom.

The second one is a little slower BIAB Realtracks jazz trio with a 4- bar intro, 3 choruses and a tag ending. I did play around with the chords on this one.

Have fun with them,

wiz

1) backing track---->Box

2) slower backing track---->Box

3) Repaired Lead sheet---->Box
    Last edited by wizard3739; 04-03-2014 at 09:56 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Alright! I'll be up soon...I've been looking for a reason to arrange this tune.

User Info Menu

I'll probably put something more compelling later in the month, but I'll jump the gun and post this 7 year old guitar duo recording with my friend Sandy Williams. He takes the first solo.

SoundClick artist: Paul Kirk - page with MP3 music downloads

User Info Menu

Very nice duo sound Paul! I really liked your use of interval lines and you guys were really swinging. Good comping, great tone, great lines and an all around pleasure to listen to.

wiz

User Info Menu

Couple of questions on the lead sheet.

1. On measure 13, what is the chord/symbol? It looks like A-9 with something flatted.
    2. On measure 15, the chord symbol looks like an A-9 over a Gma7. What chord do you(I) play? Is the choice mine?

thanks
    edh

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edh
    Couple of questions on the lead sheet.

1. On measure 13, what is the chord/symbol? It looks like A-9 with something flatted.
    2. On measure 15, the chord symbol looks like an A-9 over a Gma7. What chord do you(I) play? Is the choice mine?

thanks
    edh
    For measure 13, it should be just A-9, some kind of printer error.
    For measure 15, it should be a GMaj7, part of a partial Chord scale in G Major.

repaired now!
    wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 04-03-2014 at 10:04 PM. Reason: repair

User Info Menu

Hey Wiz . . this was actually the first jazz tune I ever learnd how to comp. That was in the '70s. It's nice to see from the pdf you posted that I learned it incorrectly. Thanks a lot man . . . but, where the hell were you some 35 years ago when I needed you?? As a way of returning the "favor" . . let me point out that the title as you posted it is wrong. It should be "I'll" Remember April. So there!! NOW . . we're even!!

On a more serious note . . too bad you're so damned far away. You seem like a cat I'd like to study with for a while. I wonder if I could talk you into moving to New Jersey? Some great housing deals available in Camden and Newark. They're even offering body armor and bullet proof windows in some of the homes now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    Very nice duo sound Paul! I really liked your use of interval lines and you guys were really swinging. Good comping, great tone, great lines and an all around pleasure to listen to.

wiz
    Thanks Howie. I feel like my playing has progressed since then, so I'll see if I can do something different with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    Hey Wiz . . this was actually the first jazz tune I ever learnd how to comp. That was in the '70s. It's nice to see from the pdf you posted that I learned it incorrectly. Thanks a lot man . . . but, where the hell were you some 35 years ago when I needed you?? As a way of returning the "favor" . . let me point out that the title as you posted it is wrong. It should be "I'll" Remember April. So there!! NOW . . we're even!!

On a more serious note . . too bad you're so damned far away. You seem like a cat I'd like to study with for a while. I wonder if I could talk you into moving to New Jersey? Some great housing deals available in Camden and Newark. They're even offering body armor and bullet proof windows in some of the homes now.
    Hey Patrick2: First of all, I did mess around with the chords a bit on the lead sheet and 35 years ago I was a student at G.I.T. totally involved in their learning process. You are right about the title, it is "I'll Remember April".
    I would love to be able to spend time with you and would do so if I lived a little closer. Please don't hesitate to ask me any questions you might have on jazz guitar or the old standards. I always enjoy reading your comments about the history of some of the jazz guitars.

best wishes,
    wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 04-05-2014 at 12:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey, what's going on, no entries this month?
    I mean PKirk's quite good, but even that one was from a back log. Are we all to buisy? I haven't touched guitar since that last month's post.
    Did have that one gig where I played bass, though. However, no guitar playing, no practice, just contemplating from time to time.

User Info Menu

I won't be posting this month, unless something extremely unusual happen, but let's say I'll have a representative, in the sound of someone I trapped over on internet. This guy has just about the oddest jazz style and versions of standards. Is it a parody, is it on purpose, is it for real ... Who care's as long as it is fun. Don't quit too early, at least wind forward couple of minutes to get a picture:

User Info Menu

I/ve played this with the trio...live in jazz club in Warsaw...few years ago.
    Best
    kris

User Info Menu

Here's a version I recorded on pedal steel, with guitar by Jimmy Bruno.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    Hey, what's going on, no entries this month?
    I mean PKirk's quite good, but even that one was from a back log. Are we all to buisy? I haven't touched guitar since that last month's post.
    Did have that one gig where I played bass, though. However, no guitar playing, no practice, just contemplating from time to time.
    Must be that tax returns were due April 15. The clips should start pouring in just about any minute now......

User Info Menu

Hello all, The link below is my version our song for this month. For some reason, I had a hard time with this song, especially the Intro and the Ending.

https://app.box.com/s/31q85go1zzr8y8x660rc

wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 04-17-2014 at 08:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    Hello all, The link below is my version our song for this month. For some reason, I had a hard time with this song, especially the Intro and the Ending.

https://app.box.com/s/31q85go1zzr8y8x660rc

wiz
    Hi Howie

Sounds pretty good to me. good tone, feel, as usual.

The only thing I hear is that you don't address the modulation to Bb (and to a lesser extent to E)
    and it seems like that throws you off a bit. It's easy to take a quick look at the chart and miscalculate
    that II-V-I to Bb as diatonic.

Paul

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I/ve played this with the trio...live in jazz club in Warsaw...few years ago.
    Best
    kris
    That is some very sweet playing Kris and the trio sounds fantastic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    Hi Howie

Sounds pretty good to me. good tone, feel, as usual.

The only thing I hear is that you don't address the modulation to Bb (and to a lesser extent to E)
    and it seems like that throws you off a bit. It's easy to take a quick look at the chart and miscalculate
    that II-V-I to Bb as diatonic.

Paul
    Thanks Paul, I will take a look at the mod to Bb & E. I really didn't do any analysis for this song and I will analyze the song now.

wiz

User Info Menu

More the merrier. no solo, just some rythm. I decided to go for it, then realised I don't have a single guitar cable at home, so I recorded this by built in mic and web cam of my lap top. I did EQ it afterwards. Maybe, if I find some time I'll do some solo over this and post, but first I have to find those cables, hopefully.

Last edited by Vladan; 04-21-2014 at 03:38 PM.

User Info Menu

My contribution; insults encouraged. (There are some time issues that I'm aware of...)

User Info Menu

I played this tune for the first time last Tuesday.

It's the first song in this clip followed by Autumn Leaves and All of Me.