The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 72

User Info Menu

I'm bringing back the virtual jam mofos. Seeing if people would be up for doing all jazz blues. Go deep dive with different heads, work on vocab, work different progressions, different keys etc. It would also be easier to jam out the material. I'd make the guideline that you can either jam out a quick take or it'd also be accepted to spend time working on a clip if you want. Another guideline is we'll play through every key by picking a key for the week and then go up a half step the next week. If you don't want to do the key of the week just play the regular key. We could start off with Blue Monk adapted into minor, both the melody and changes, a favorite of mine.
    Last edited by Bobby Timmons; 05-26-2024 at 08:56 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Timmons
    I'm bringing back the virtual jam mofos. Seeing if people would be up for doing all jazz blues. Go deep dive with different heads, work on vocab, work different progressions, different keys etc. It would also be easier to jam out the material. I'd make the guideline that you can either jam out a quick take or it'd also be accepted to spend time working on a clip if you want. We could start off with Blue Monk transposed into minor, both the melody and changes, a favorite of mine.
    Well I'm in. It's time to start the Summer of Rhythm Guitar...might use this as a influence.

User Info Menu

Oh, good, I've got a gig. Off we go.

Blue Monk transposed into minor, both the melody and changes
    But I don't know what transposed into minor means. You mean in Bb minor, not major? Don't get that one.

It means put the song in minor. Get it together ragman!

Last edited by Bobby Timmons; 05-26-2024 at 08:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Get it together ragman!
    Ok, that sounds like good advice :-)

I'm not sure why I'd put it in minor, sounds like a gimmick. Anyway, here's something in Gm. It's a bit gloomy, yours is much more exciting, more a la Monk.

Thx. Yours sounds good too. I don't think putting it in minor is a gimmick. It's an overdone tune so this changes it up. And I think it works well with the melody.
    Last edited by Bobby Timmons; 05-26-2024 at 01:21 PM.

User Info Menu

It might be quite fun putting into Phrygian. Have to alter the chords a bit but never mind.

User Info Menu

Monk's chart for it....
    Attached Images Attached Images JGO Virtual 'Bluez' Jam (Round 1) - Blue Monk in minor-blue-minor-monk-1-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    Monk's chart for it....
    We know that but check the thread title. The OP wants it in minor.

- Blue Monk in minor

We're supposed to change it to a minor key, both chords and melody. I don't know why, but he does. You'll have to ask him :-)

^ Yep. I'm also gonna make the guideline of a set key per week, go up a half step each week. So for example, A this week, Bb next week, B the week after that etc. If you don't want to do that just do the regular key. But that's what I'll do and you should too!

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    It might be quite fun putting into Phrygian. Have to alter the chords a bit but never mind.
    You should try it. I faf with different notes / tonalities aside from the given minor 3rd. I haven't tried Phrygian tho.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    We know that but check the thread title. The OP wants it in minor.

- Blue Monk in minor

We're supposed to change it to a minor key, both chords and melody. I don't know why, but he does. You'll have to ask him :-)
    The thing is, Monk wrote several blues based tunes that had somewhat different chord changes, and aside from that, there are variations on 12 bar minor blues progressions, e.g., all minor chords; minor chords with a dominant V chord (D7 rather than Dm7 in G minor); V7 in bars 9-10 (as in Monk's chart) and/or in bar 12, VI-V rather than V-IV in bars 9-10, etc.

So you want to change some of Monk's chords (in the chart I posted) to minor or just ignore his changes entirely?

All you need to do is change the 1 and 4 chords to minor to be a minor blues. The 2 being half dim is usually required. The full dim chord might not work in a minor blues but you could try it. Other than that, you can arrange it how you like.

These are the changes I played:

A- / D- / A- / E-7(b5) A7b9
    D- / D- / A- / Bb7 Eb7
    B-7b5 / E7+ / A- / B-7b5 E7+

I just wrote the 1 and 4 chords as triads but I vary the voicings between triad, minor 6, minor 7, or minor maj 7. In bar 8 I felt like doing something different. C7 F7 also sounds good - kind of a 3 6.

Cool sounding options for bar 11 and 12 are A- D- / B-7b5 E7 or A- Cdim7 / B-7b5 E7 or A- D- / A- E7.
    Last edited by Bobby Timmons; 05-27-2024 at 02:27 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7
    The thing is, Monk wrote several blues based tunes that had somewhat different chord changes, and aside from that, there are variations on 12 bar minor blues progressions, e.g., all minor chords; minor chords with a dominant V chord (D7 rather than Dm7 in G minor); V7 in bars 9-10 (as in Monk's chart) and/or in bar 12, VI-V rather than V-IV in bars 9-10, etc.

So you want to change some of Monk's chords (in the chart I posted) to minor or just ignore his changes entirely?
    Mick, you're talking to the wrong person. It's not my thread, not my idea. You need to talk to the OP!

User Info Menu

All you need to do is change the 1 and 4 chords to minor to be a minor blues. The 2 being half dim is usually required. The full dim chord might not work in a minor blues but you could try it. Other than that, you can arrange it how you like.

These are the changes I played:

A- / D- / A- / E-7(b5) A7b9
    D- / D- / A- / Bb7 Eb7
    B-7b5 / E7+ / A- / B-7b5 E7+

I just wrote the 1 and 4 chords as triads but I vary the voicings between triad, minor 6, minor 7, or minor maj 7. In bar 8 I felt like doing something different. C7 F7 also sounds good - kind of a 3 6.

Cool sounding options for bar 11 and 12 are A- D- / B-7b5 E7 or A- Cdim7 / B-7b5 E7 or A- D- / A- E7.
    And change the melody, no?

^ Yes

Alright mofos, here's your lead sheet since I got you into this. I wrote the harmonized thirds for the melody that you can leave out if you only want to do single note. And I wrote in the dense version of the changes (for solos) that you can simplify if you want.

Last edited by Bobby Timmons; 05-27-2024 at 09:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice Bobby... Here's another version, but in Bb,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just revised the lead sheet for like the 8th time trying to remove all redundant accidentals and get everything correct. I'm gonna kill that program. I think it's perfect now.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Well I'm in. It's time to start the Summer of Rhythm Guitar...might use this as a influence.
    Sounds good!

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Nice Bobby... Here's another version, but in Bb.
    Thx
    Last edited by Bobby Timmons; 05-27-2024 at 10:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Just revised the lead sheet for like the 8th time trying to remove all redundant accidentals and get everything correct. I'm gonna kill that program.
    What "program" is that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Nice Bobby... Here's another version, but in Bb,
    Reg -

Is that your version or by a recording artist?

What "program" is that?
    Sibelius

User Info Menu

Sibelius
    Ah! I've heard it can be difficult, been using it a long time? Finale is the other academic app, don't know if it's any better, have seen it's files here and there on the net.

I don't notate stuff very often. I just picked whatever free program. I should survive with its operation search function and google.
    Last edited by Bobby Timmons; 05-28-2024 at 02:49 AM.

User Info Menu

It’s indeed a well-worn tune. We sometimes do these things at open jam sessions. Blue Monk is either done ploddingly slow or blazingly fast, but always in Bb major. IIRC it was once called by a vocalist who sang English lyrics (I’m in Japan) and then blew everyone off the stage with an amazing display of scatting.

Thanks for the Bbm melody chart. I’ll give this a whirl at tomorrow night’s jam session!

Out of curiosity, can someone possibly point to recordings of any artists who did it in minor?

User Info Menu

Ah! I've heard it can be difficult, been using it a long time? Finale is the other academic app, don't know if it's any better, have seen it's files here and there on the net.
    I like finale better. Then again I’ve been using it for fifteen years now so there’s some sunk cost.

Unless someone wanted to compose or arrange for real, MuseScore will do the job just as well, or so it seems from poking around.

75% of the time I’m not using any of finales functionality