asymetrical pentatonic scales with Ab Melodic Minor example, altered dominant, maj7#5

This is part 2 on my lesson about asymetrical pentatonic scales.

First a refresher - An asymetrical pentatonic is a pseudo pentatonic scale. You won't find these
in the slonimsky or formal music theory texts. It's something I developed to give you the wide
open sound of a pentatonic scale while not being limited to a single set of 5 notes.

The standard pentatonic scale utilizes a specific set of notes from the parent scale, typically
1,2,3,5 & 6.

The asymetrical pentatonic scale is not limited to those notes and is free to use any notes from
the scale with the goal being:

1) Retain the feel of the pentatonic, i.e. skipping an appropriate set of notes so as to not be
diatonic (i.e. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7)
2) Utilize all the tones from the parent scale
3) Ease of fingering on the instrument - I like 2 notes/string.

Note that there is no rule for what notes you should use. There's not a formula like 1,2,3,5,6

The symetrical pentatonic scales are particuarly powerful when used over scales other than the
major scale. You can construct them around any scale including diminished, whole-tone,
chromatic, etc. Today's lesson will utilize Ab Melodic Minor and a set of asymetrical pentatonics
derived from it.

Here are the 5 positions of the Ab Melodic minor Asymetrical pentatonic scale. I have added
some chords from the Ab Melodic minor family just so you can get an idea how these sound in
a real world application

Remember, I give private lessons so hmu if you're interested. More info on my website.

check out my patreon @jackzucker

#sheetsofsound
#jazzguitarlessons #guitarlessons
#jazzguitar #modernjazzguitar #jazzguitarriffs
#altereddominant