The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Secret to McCoy Tyner Part 3, Basic Gm legato pentatonic with triads and hybrid picking

You can view the preview and download the PDF here.
    Just a moment...

This is actually a pattern that should have been presented before Part 2!

This is the basic pentatonic pattern that I like to
    evoke McCoy / Herbie. The pattern is virtually identical to part 2 in that it combines 4ths and
    pentatonics but it does not use chromatic displacement and instead, stays with the Gm
    pentatonic the entire time. Once you look at this closely, you will see how exercise 2 was
    created and I think you will be able to extrapolate your own patterns out of this.

Of note is the hybrid picking I use here. There are a lot of ways to pick this including
    economy, alternate picking etc. The tricky part is the last note before each pattern begins,
    (highlighted in green).

I typically use a downstroke for this note, but because the first note of the pattern
    is also played with a downstroke, it means that you have 2 downstrokes in a row. Because
    some folks struggle with that, I documented this with the "m" finger instead but give it
    a try with the consecutive downstrokes. You could also use a downstroke for the highlighted
    note and start the pattern with upstroke, middle, ring fingers.

#sheetsofsound #modal
    #mccoytyner #pentatonics
    #jazzguitarlessons #guitarlessons
    #jazzguitar #modernjazzguitar #jazzguitarriffs
    #IbanezArchtop #IbanezGB10 #altereddominant
    Last edited by jzucker; 04-20-2024 at 08:43 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

updated with full video / fast and slow versions