The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Part 7 Redo! Playing over m7b5 chords using pentatonic thirds in triplets with FORWARD MOMENTUM

I redid this because the slowed down example was out of sync...

This is an interesting example with a lot of stuff going on. I'm using pentatonic 3rds which - because of
    the large leap in intervals, ends up being enharmonic 4ths a lot of the time. Additionally, I'm playing
    them in triplet form *BUT* I am anticipating each triplet by an 8th note so it gives a forward momentum
    and sounds MUCH better than playing them on the beat. This technique can be done with any rhythm,
    not just triplets by the way...

This type of phrasing is utilized by Coltrane, Brecker and is referred to by Hal Galper as *FORWARD
    MOMENTUM - so a nod to the Hal here.

And The pentatonic scales I'm using are Fmin Pentatonic over the Dm7b5 and Bbmin Pentatonic over the
    G7 chord. The Fmin pentatonic gives you a D locrian sound which is pretty vanilla but the Bbmin
    pentatonic over G7 gives you a G7Alt sound with b9,#9, #11.

Over the Cmin, i'm using CMin pentatonic for a bar but phrasing in 4 note patterns using triplets,
    creating a 4 over 3 compound rhythm.

The second bar of the Cm I am superimposing a B triad which actually comes from a late '30s swing
    chord progression of where guys would temporarily suspend the I chord with a Dim7 chord so
    they would play | C Cdim | C | It's a bit unusual to hear this over CMin but it creates a beautiful
    dissonance.

#sheetsofsound #halfdiminished #min7b5
    #jazzguitarlessons #guitarlessons
    #jazzguitar #modernjazzguitar #jazzguitarriffs
    #GibsonArchtops #GibsonL4CES #altereddominant
    #halfdiminished
    Last edited by jzucker; 04-14-2024 at 08:58 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

i redid the slow part...