The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Happy Friday-- here's my rendition of "There Will Never Be Another You". Hope you enjoy!

One thing I've been noticing while learning to improvise is that turnarounds are perhaps the hardest to keep fresh. i.e., I keep playing the turnaround the same way, more so than for other parts. I wonder if you all have experienced something similar!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MadeulPlaysGuitar View Post

Happy Friday-- here's my rendition of "There Will Never Be Another You". Hope you enjoy!

One thing I've been noticing while learning to improvise is that turnarounds are perhaps the hardest to keep fresh. i.e., I keep playing the turnaround the same way, more so than for other parts. I wonder if you all have experienced something similar!
    Hmm. Definitely something I’ve experienced.

Sometimes simplifying it a bunch can help. Like just thinking of the turnaround as I-V … that makes it easier to play over and from there you can switch it up in lots of ways

I VI ii V
    I bIII ii V
    I bIII ii bII
    I bIII bVI bII
    etc

Im sure you can find a list of common turnarounds online. Also in the Dave Baker books — How to Improvise, maybe?

and of course JGOs own, Christian Miller:

User Info Menu

Melody based subs? Chromatic triad son V can be helpful. Also a 1 in the key cna be subbed with bIImaj7, bVImaj7…. There’s a few things you can do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Nice playing and good suggestions!

I sometimes disregard the changes for the turnaround on an up tune by using an ascending chromatic shape based line targeting the tonic at the top, creating a bit of non harmonic tension, more “launch into” than turnaround.

But some tunes have turnaround changes that I just love outlining every time. Ladybird leaps to mind, illustrating Christian’s suggestion.

All awesome suggestions! I will start trying these ideas out-- thanks!

User Info Menu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii57FytBQ74