The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 81 of 81

User Info Menu

"My kids told me ‘you can’t use that word anymore old man’ "

It's a topsy-turvy world when the kids are lecturing the adults on what is politically correct.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thank you for the video, and please keep posting if possible.

This one resonated with me. When I don’t know a tune well and it gets called at a jam session, I’ll fall into playing continuous 8th notes, cause I’m just trying to keep up with the changes. It sounds a bit neurotic, or like an exercise. But as I begin to internalize the tune, after many, many moons, I find I can play less and less.

User Info Menu

As part of my practice sessions, I use new short licks, altering them and playing them all over a whole song, I've done this for as long as I can remember. Sometimes the lick stick my memory, sometimes is doesn't, why?, I don't know.

Sometimes these licks become all encompassing and it's everywhere in my playing. So, beware.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    As part of my practice sessions, I use new short licks, altering them and playing them all over a whole song, I've done this for as long as I can remember. Sometimes the lick stick my memory, sometimes is doesn't, why?, I don't know.

Sometimes these licks become all encompassing and it's everywhere in my playing. So, beware.
    Beware, how true it is! Once I started messing around with major triad licks with the 4th added, I couldn’t escape it, and for a while started nearly every ad-lib with some or another variant or transposition. Useful and infectious!

User Info Menu

There are tons of jazz tunes which have harmonic structures that allow lines to be really long. Players like Martino, Benson, Coltrane, bird routinely played sequences with dozens and dozens of notes.

Martino specifically worked on VERY LONG lines culminating in things like the classic solo over Sunny.

How many notes is this? At least 64

User Info Menu

Leetle chunks can be joined together into really long line…..
    break down, build up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk