The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 81

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Ok I’ll stop posting them then, although there are a fair number of beginners and intermediates on the forum. It isn’t all about you, you know!
    Sorry Christian! I don't want you to stop posting them. I did say 'sometimes I learn something'. I was only trying to understand why there might be a little rancour in a couple of other posts, and maybe trying to help those guys see what might be going on.

And I'm not arguing with the premise of your video. I think that's a good way to go at it. It's just not the way I go at it. I'm a shitty bop player and probably could benefit from this kind of thinking if I was more dedicated to that style of playing.

I like your posts and I like your playing. I actually bought Anansi and listen to it from time to time.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I liked the video. I'm usually one to get triggered lol. I can handle just stealing 5 note or so bits haha. Although I do want to analyze and try to integrate a few complete longer lines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Sorry Christian! I don't want you to stop posting them.
    It’s alright, don’t worry about my feelings. Sorry for my grumpy reaction. I do spend a lot of time on stuff for basically free …

Also people like to moan don’t they? I know I do it myself.

I don’t post everything I do here btw. I do so if I think it will interest forum members I have in mind.

I'm a shitty bop player and probably could benefit from this kind of thinking if I was more dedicated to that style of playing.
    I don’t see this advice as being specific to bop. This video was actually inspired by something Scott Henderson said, after all…

I was actually thinking of blues licks in reference to this video. Useful blues licks are often very short. You chain them together… I chose bop because that’s what I do probably the most, at least on the channel.

But bop is just music - despite its rather intellectual reputation - and subject to the exact same process as any other kind when it comes to improv. I think some variant of the modular/chunked approach is necessary for fast improvisation, but maybe I’m wrong?

(The caveat being that while for various reasons jazz seems maybe harder to *fake* than some other genres - but any *good* player in a given style has done the work and paid the dues.)

You might have different building blocks but what you do with the them works the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 03-16-2024 at 03:54 PM.

User Info Menu

I like the concept. I've burned through a stack of lick books and can't remember many of the 4 measure ones, but lots and lots of the 1-2 measure phases have actually stuck. I'm not very good at putting them together, but I'm thinking more and more of these small bits of melody that can be the links in the chain.
    I always learn something from watching your videos. Don't let the naysayers say nay, or whatever that was.

User Info Menu

I don’t mind disagreements, or even moaning about cheesy clickbait titles and so on (especially when it’s done with good humour) I think what yanks my chain is when it seems people are saying ‘this video which you made for an unknown audience of hundreds, is not exactly to my requirements or tastes in these specific ways’. Suggesting positive feedback is one thing, but this type of thing comes across as a variant of brain-in-a-jar solipsism.

I am not a simulation generated to fulfil your desires! I am but a human doofus! With a Focusrite and a webcam!

There’s not a lot I can do with it to be fair, so it’s best ignored. I do sometimes make videos people ask for.

User Info Menu

Good grief I’m a grumpy sausage

User Info Menu

I like the low budget, indie vibe of Christian's videos.

User Info Menu

I think you’re a good sport, I would have said some something arrogant, gotten into an argument/discussion that I’m not invested in and lost interest while someone else thought we were debating.

So, at least you aren’t doing that.

User Info Menu

I thought you were spot on with this video. It was the right length and concise, well edited, you explained your point perfectly, there was good playing, and good material. There's only the thing with the click bait title, which you explained why you do that. It was helpful to me, I get annoyed at transcribing long excerpts but it's no trouble for me to pick up small bits if that's the most productive anyway.

User Info Menu

Yeah it's a good video, just try not to get all Rick Beatoff- I mean Beato on your titles, like, "you're committing career suicide by playing long lines!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Yeah it's a good video, just try not to get all Rick Beatoff- I mean Beato on your titles, like, "you're committing career suicide by playing long lines!!!!!!!
    “If you play this chord on rhythm changes you will become a social outcast”, “do this one simple thing, or alienate your wife and children” or “make sure you work on this or you will quite literally die.”

I think I could get into that actually.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I like the low budget, indie vibe of Christian's videos.
    Bloody hell I was getting a bit more fancy pf late haha

User Info Menu

^ Yeah I follow some spazzy youtubers with frantic editing and I thought Christian kept pace fine with the layout without being spazzy. One thing I'm wondering: are there a lot of deaf gen z people? Is that why they have to caption everything? :P

User Info Menu

I like the channel but Charles Cornell’s style of editing melts my aged brain. Also the need to say ‘ooooooh’ at everything remotely musically interesting gets a little grating… dynamics Charles! Dynamics are important. And space. It becomes like a college level jazz solo where it’s just wall to wall notes.

It is easy to get to the point where all the space is edited out. I generally aim for a punchy intro and outro and a more relaxed middle section. But younger people don’t watch my vids by and large.

I got pulled up for not making my YouTube short loop smoother (it’s a borrowing from TicTok style videos as I understand it, not a TicTok user). These really are classical forms we are dealing with. It’s interesting.

Last edited by Christian Miller; 03-17-2024 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Spelling TicTok with a C like the massive boomer I unquestionably am

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    ^ Yeah I follow some spazzy youtubers with frantic editing and I thought Christian kept pace fine with the layout without being spazzy. One thing I'm wondering: are there a lot of deaf gen z people? Is that why they have to caption everything? :P
    They caption everything so you can watch videos without the sound on.

User Info Menu

^ Oh haha. The explanation that they're just spaz works better for me.

User Info Menu

"Your licks are too long." "You're using too many fingers." "You're picking is wack!"

Listen man: if I wanted to play like CC I would've started 55 years ago!

(no sausage please...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    "Your licks are too long." "You're using too many fingers." "You're picking is wack!"

Listen man: if I wanted to play like CC I would've started 55 years ago!

(no sausage please...)
    Sausage?

User Info Menu

as in:
    Meant to be humorous. But... maybe not.

User Info Menu

I think it's good to be reminded that we're all, to risk the cliche, "real people." We do what we can with what we have, put stuff out there that we hope will, in the words of Cicero, either "teach...delight... [or] move."

I get at least 2 of those from most things posted here, very consistently from Mr. Miller.

User Info Menu

Aw you’re too kind

User Info Menu

What I can’t stand are the YouTubers with their fancy editing, click-bait titles, and short format trying to give us jazz education when everybody knows that the only way to really understand jazz is through long-winded multi-page posts on little visited forums.

If only that YouTuber knew how to write super long super wonky posts then maybe he could generate a little respect… huh?…what’s that?… a forum member?…which one?

Oh.

Well, in that case. Well done. Keep doing what you are doing and don’t let the Jazz Police acuse you of trying to be the Jazz Police.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

I think Christian's videos are terrific, and I truly appreciate all the time he puts into them and into his posts here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith;[URL="tel:1323791"
    1323791[/URL]]^ Yeah I follow some spazzy youtubers with frantic editing and I thought Christian kept pace fine with the layout without being spazzy.
    on a point of order ….

My kids told me ‘you can’t use that
    word anymore old man’

carry on ….

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    on a point of order ….

My kids told me ‘you can’t use that
    word anymore old man’

carry on ….
    Yeah, they tried to cancel Lizzo because she said it.