The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Jazz Articulation.

Are you using Doo-Den-Doo-Den-Doo-Dah-Ooh-Dah?

Jazz Articulation. Doo-Den-Doo-Den-Doo-Dah-Ooh-Dah?-jazz-articulation-png

I thought that this was interesting, this sax player is very good, yes, he's selling his course, but the info in the video on Jazz Articulation is very good IMO.
    But, he uses different techniques for ascending and descending. Maybe using only one will do?

Edit: Maybe: You can just transcribe your fav songs by ear, sing and play along with them. Learning the articulation from recordings, from the greats.
    Last edited by GuyBoden; 03-10-2024 at 11:03 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

We already have two solfege systems

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    We already have two solfege systems
    Doo-Den-Doo-Den-Doo-Dah-Ooh-Dah

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    Doo-Den-Doo-Den-Doo-Dah-Ooh-Dah
    Chad LB is wicked.

I don’t think I’ve heard these syllables before.

The closed “den” syllable is a bit odd I think but I guess I would trust him. The doo dah ooh dah is a little more like what I’ve heard before. The doodle tonguing from Clark Terry comes to mind.

For what it’s worth, I’m not sure the syllables like that are all that applicable to guitar since we don’t articulate using our faces.

Anyway … I pretty consistently slur into downbeats and pick upbeats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Chad LB is wicked.

I don’t think I’ve heard these syllables before.

The closed “den” syllable is a bit odd I think but I guess I would trust him. The doo dah ooh dah is a little more like what I’ve heard before. The doodle tonguing from Clark Terry comes to mind.

For what it’s worth, I’m not sure the syllables like that are all that applicable to guitar since we don’t articulate using our faces.

Anyway … I pretty consistently slur into downbeats and pick upbeats
    Yes, Chad LB is a superb player and he's got a great youtube channel full of Jazz knowledge.

I find that articulation with most guitarists is a neglected area.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    I find that articulation with most guitarists is a neglected area.
    Well that we certainly agree on

User Info Menu

I wonder, is this really jazz articulation, or jazz saxophone/horn articulation? It doesn't seem to me that a piano player would think in this way, but they have no problem achieving jazz phrasing obviously.

Maybe this is just me justifying my pick every note agenda lol, but it seems that the underlying issue is accents, not articulation purely considered. Articulation is one way to achieve the accents, but it's not necessarily the only way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BreckerFan
    I wonder, is this really jazz articulation, or jazz saxophone/horn articulation? It doesn't seem to me that a piano player would think in this way, but they have no problem achieving jazz phrasing obviously.

Maybe this is just me justifying my pick every note agenda lol, but it seems that the underlying issue is accents, not articulation purely considered. Articulation is one way to achieve the accents, but it's not necessarily the only way.
    Yeah that’s sort of what I was referring to. The syllables are important insofar as they shape the flow of air and bring the tongue against the embouchure. Neither of which are particular useful to us.

The closed and open syllables can be helpful because they can imply length of the note or a slur.

User Info Menu

Fun, related:

Phonetic jazz heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Fun, related:

Phonetic jazz heads

The Police - De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da (Official Music Video)