The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 54 of 54

User Info Menu

I’d be more comfortable saying every good inside line can become an outside line

There’s many techniques for playing ‘outside’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    To say it as "every good inside line could become a good outside line over different changes" is fine with me. I don't really know if there's an exception if you say it the other way.

Either way, it points to the idea of invisible changes as something worth working on.
    I’m not taking issue with it or anything … on the contrary, it was interesting and insightful and required a short essay in response. Just something about the emphasis maybe.

User Info Menu

It brings to mind another quick story.

I had an opportunity a few years ago to play with Hamilton Godoy, who is an elder statesman of Brazilian Jazz.

I don't recall which tune, but at the end of it, my final note was pretty much a clam.

Instantly, Mr. Godoy played a chord (not the one on the chart) that made my clam sound like an act of genius.

It just reminds me of how melody/harmony/inside/outside is at the heart of great jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    It brings to mind another quick story.

I had an opportunity a few years ago to play with Hamilton Godoy, who is an elder statesman of Brazilian Jazz.

I don't recall which tune, but at the end of it, my final note was pretty much a clam.

Instantly, Mr. Godoy played a chord (not the one on the chart) that made my clam sound like an act of genius.

It just reminds me of how melody/harmony/inside/outside is at the heart of great jazz.
    Ah nice.

All his various protégés say similar things about Jim Hall.