The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I play both instruments, neither great, but good enough for a hobbyist. Thing is, I've often felt that improvising on piano is so much easier as it doesn't have the problem of duplicate notes and a piano is so much easier to see everything. But, like I said in another thread, I'm not very good at improv anyway, so, kind of a moot point.

However, when it comes to 'patterns', the guitar is really built to see chord/riff patterns, and changing keys is so much easier on guitar, (for example, going from F to F#/Gb on guitar is a cinch, not as easy on piano) but whenever writing a song, and if I'm having trouble articulating a chord, I find it much easier to solve an articulation issue on piano. For example, I wrote a song using the guitar, and the chord I thought I was hearing was an Em7, but something wasn't quite right about it. I went over to the piano and it became clear to me that the chord I really wanted was C/E.

And, of course, I suppose I should have been able to find it on guitar, but I'm just saying the piano, for me, is easier to solve harmony articulation issues that crop up from time to time.

Another chord, two chord progression I was playing, a little more difficult to figure out, the first chord was an E maj add 9 in the first position (with the pinky on the 9 on the 4th string, the F#), and the next chord, all I did was hold that position and raise the G# (3rd string) to A (third string) and the B (5th string) to C (5th string) and so what chord as that second chord? The two chords sounded great together but I had no idea what the second chord was, so.....

so I went over to the piano to figure it out, and it became clear to me that what I was trying to articulate was actually an
    F#m7-5/E (is that a phrygian chord? I forget) , anyway, so the progression was E Add9 to F#m7-5/E one bar each in a bossa pattern, (and of course, I'm not the first guy in the world to use those chords) but no way would I have realized that on the guitar. Surely some of you would have no problem, but I find the piano easier for finding the more difficult chords..

Any guitar/piano players out there care to give your thoughts?

Each has their advantages.

Here is the song I was composing with those two chords (transposed to another key for the vocalist)

Music, yours truly and lyrics/vocals by Mari Nobre

"And Now"

The turnaround chord to the bridge is an E7sus, then the bridge is A add 9, A, Amaj7, A7, E add 9 (repeat 2x) and one of the vocal tracks is singing the descending line. (of course, all transposed to the singers key).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I agree. I wasn't happy with my level of technique on guitar to grab necessary interesting harmonies in time. I liked guitar because it's so versatile and I also like rock and pop music so wanted to play jazz and popular music. But I decided to just focus on jazz keys since I'm better at it. A finger injury also helped me make that decision. :P

User Info Menu

The duplicate notes thing may be a problem when you're starting out. But after a certain amount of time, your fingers just go to the right place when you think of the note you want.

Working out harmony seems like it would be easier on piano, because you may worry less about playability for, say, 1 four note chord.

But, one of the things that a teacher said which stuck with me was "there's always a way". Probably not absolutely true, but a worthwhile maxim because, most of the time, there is a way to play what you want.

User Info Menu

all said..the piano rules for ease of seeing voicings the guitar is illogical in comparison
    it will take some time and work to learn all the chord inversions, extensions, altered etc in ALL Major and minor keys to be able to play with a modicum of ease many tunes require in their written voicings

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    The duplicate notes thing may be a problem when you're starting out. But after a certain amount of time, your fingers just go to the right place when you think of the note you want.

Working out harmony seems like it would be easier on piano, because you may worry less about playability for, say, 1 four note chord.

But, one of the things that a teacher said which stuck with me was "there's always a way". Probably not absolutely true, but a worthwhile maxim because, most of the time, there is a way to play what you want.
    There's always a way, but, like you say, not always, or rather 'almost'. For example, on say, a C13b9#11, you can play it on guitar, but you just can't get that big sound, that big band kind of sound a chord like that beckons for, like you can on piano (assuming you can play a 10th shell in the left hand). Of course, there are many cool things one can do on guitar that can't be done on piano, so each has their strengths.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickJazzGuitar
    However, when it comes to 'patterns', the guitar is really built to see chord/riff patterns, and changing keys is so much easier on guitar, (for example, going from F to F#/Gb on guitar is a cinch, not as easy on piano) but whenever writing a song, and if I'm having trouble articulating a chord, I find it much easier to solve an articulation issue on piano. For example, I wrote a song using the guitar, and the chord I thought I was hearing was an Em7, but something wasn't quite right about it. I went over to the piano and it became clear to me that the chord I really wanted was C/E.
    When trying to find the exact right sounding chord, it is completely possible on guitar. Just that often it is too hard to play or too hard to switch from or go to the next one.
    But just finding the right one - doable.

As someone who has tried to teach himself piano and failed... I do agree but guitar is nice because you get a lot of things for free

User Info Menu

doable, but easier on piano, especially if it's a polychord that is hard to play on guitar