The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 134 of 134

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    Me tooooooo

I take one example and then tinker with it in a gazillion possibly pointless ways for a month and a half and then get bored and put a bookmark in at example 1b and get into something different.
    Yep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have the same problem with this book too but only because of all the cool sounds within it.

I hear something then my ear wants to go somewhere and I follow it ( I really should start recording these short pieces again!).

Anyhow I think that by using this book for 5 minutes a day will radically change your playing for the better over time.....seems like a good deal to me.

User Info Menu

Actually if it seems I’m a bit closed off to new info sometimes it’s usually because I’ve reached capacity. It doesn’t take much. The three part quartals have been floating in and out of my practice for about two years for instance.

Clearly YouTube is a total nightmare for TMI. I think it exacerbates the problem which is not to say any of the info is bad - it’s often great! Just … too much. I have to unplug or I wouldn’t master anything…. I don’t watch much jazz stuff, even masterclasses with top players. I feel I’ve got enough material to work on for the rest of my life tbh.

Otoh new players can be difficult. If I hear someone amazing my urge is to try to find out what they are doing so I can emulate it. After a certain point I wonder if this is an impulse that should be resisted haha. Maybe it’s all good.

That said, one thing I am learning is to embrace non linearity of the learning process. I deal with beginners a lot (as do many here) so it can be tempting to systematise one’s own learning in the same way. This can be limiting… a new way of looking at things can recontextualise everything.

Anyway just idle thoughts.

User Info Menu

I think real musical development happens during creative exploration and application of what's already learned. So it's important to find a good balance between learning new material and working on what's already known.

User Info Menu

My experience is it takes a very long time for things to become internalised

User Info Menu

Unless you are a kid

User Info Menu

Does anybody know what's the relationship of this book to harmonic mechanisms or almanacs?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175 View Post
    Does anybody know what's the relationship of this book to harmonic mechanisms or almanacs?
    definitely closer to the almanacs. Meant to be a sort of comprehensive catalog of various motions. Not the same as the almanacs but the mission feels like an offshoot of that more than of the Van Eps stuff.

User Info Menu

He talks about it in the interview, agrees he was influenced by both. Says Van Eps focussed on fingerings (both hands) and etudes in every key; he does neither. Says the Almanacs focus on moving a single structure through the cycles; he is focussed on taking every possible three-voice structure (in a 7-note scale) and exploring how each voice leads to the others. I have spent a few hours in the early pages of the book; there are some interesting sounds to be found there and some big challenges, especially with the clusters. The first part is all close voicings; in the second part the same moves are shown in open voicings, which are easier to play (for me anyway) but sound less interesting to my ear.