The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 126
    Nice to see this thread get positive traction again! I’ll post some videos as well, when I have time. Off now to go see Branford’s quartet @SFJazz.

The best small jazz group in jazz today.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Didn't hear any 3 part fugal counterpoint. :P :P Yeah no, sounds good.

User Info Menu

Yes, post some more videos examples, this stuff sounds great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    And here's what a few minutes of dicking around netted me. Maybe worth looking deeper...
    Sounds great. It's a quite a different way of relating to the fretboard than the grip vocabulary isn't it? It's tempting to choose one way of organizing the instrument and commit to it since each type of organization is a lifetime of exploration in itself. But then there are all these other juicy things one might be missing out on, lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker View Post
    Yes, unfortunately Johannes has been ill so the interview will occur when he is feeling better. Hopefully next week.
    Based on the sample pages the book seems to flesh out combinatoric possibilities of moving five types of voicings diatonically through different cycles.
    Does the book show how to apply these concepts to create movement within a single or to progressions that are not strictly diatonic (like in most tunes)?
    It's not a complete mystery to me how to apply these movements in different contexts but I'm wondering if they are explicitly discussed in the book.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175 View Post
    Based on the sample pages the book seems to flesh out combinatoric possibilities of moving five types of voicings diatonically through different cycles.
    Does the book show how to apply these concepts to create movement within a single or to progressions that are not strictly diatonic (like in most tunes)?
    It's not a complete mystery to me how to apply these movements in different contexts but I'm wondering if they are explicitly discussed in the book.
    There’s probably 40-50 pages of etudes in the back. So lots of applications in there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    There’s probably 40-50 pages of etudes in the back. So lots of applications in there.
    Do the etudes cover movement within a single chord and progressions with secondary dominants, modal interchange etc?

User Info Menu

Sounds great. It's a quite a different way of relating to the fretboard than the grip vocabulary isn't it? It's tempting to choose one way of organizing the instrument and commit to it since each type of organization is a lifetime of exploration in itself. But then there are all these other juicy things one might be missing out on, lol.
    It is, and it isn't...I'm definitely a grip/shape player, but I also play a lot of solo guitar, so I'm always looking for ways I can add a voice, usually specifically for melody. What I like about this is that it makes me think about moving voices in a support role to the melody...It's definitely something that feels fresh and I'll be messing with a lot more.

User Info Menu

Do the etudes cover movement within a single chord and progressions with secondary dominants, modal interchange etc?
    Mostly ii-V-I-VI

User Info Menu

Mostly ii-V-I-VI
    So like one voicing per chord? If so that's not what I mean by movement within a chord.

User Info Menu

So like one voicing per chord? If so that's not what I mean by movement within a chord.
    No, multiple. Movement within a chord. The voicings themselves don't really make much sense as single voicings for a chord. I think in general their intention is to create a texture that describes a chord in two or three stops at least.

User Info Menu

No, multiple. Movement within a chord. The voicings themselves don't really make much sense as single voicings for a chord. I think in general their intention is to create a texture that describes a chord in two or three stops at least.
    Oh cool. That's my bag. Thanks.

I still maintain the best, simple, most elegant way to play with chromaticism in a chord solo format that shows movement is be able interchange the 8 chords that make up the two m6 families and the two dom7 families in the Sixth Diminished system. You don’t have to ‘think’ about #11b13b5 etc, you just play these in lieu of V7 and move it up or down a half step to get more possibilities: G7-Bb7-Db7-E7, Dm6-Fm6-Abm6-Bm6. Etc. etc.

When you really get this down (at the level of muscle memory) you can just think of everything as a line and just concentrate on rhythm.

I’m going to use the stuff in this book to build upon this foundation. Kind of create a triad-three note voicing FLOOR that works with everything else. That is the intention.

User Info Menu

Would it be worthwhile to start a study group and go through the most common changes systematically?

Could be fun seeing what everyone comes up with.

User Info Menu

Would it be worthwhile to start a study group and go through the most common changes systematically?

totally

User Info Menu

I'll stop in now and then...I imagine I'll be moving VERY SLOWLY.

User Info Menu

They seem to be out of spiral bound copies. If I buy it, I'll get it spiral-bound at an office supply store I guess. It's almost 400 pages.

User Info Menu

They seem to be out of spiral bound copies. If I buy it, I'll get it spiral-bound at an office supply store I guess. It's almost 400 pages.
    The Kindle version is a good bit less expensive (in Canada anyway).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz View Post
    The Kindle version is a good bit less expensive (in Canada anyway).
    Yeah, with that kind of book I prefer paper. My tablet doesn't have a big screen and I don't like to use my laptop when I'm practicing.
    I ordered the paper version but might get it spiral-bound at Staples.

User Info Menu

Pity that we can't post phone videos on here. Just messing with some beautiful chords.

Gmaj7(no3), BCD cluster, GAB Cluster, Csus4.

I'm not sure what would be the best way to set up a study group.

Perhaps the best way to start is on page 10 and play through the triad chord scale of each type of triad in each inversion to find the sounds that really resonate with you?

I'm sure that we all have different tastes. I like 7th(no3rd) 1st inversion a lot for example but some of you might find it too dissonant.

Loving what I'm messing with atm

User Info Menu

Might be nice if it were less formal. Like I’m very into it but probably will be taking concepts out for a while rather than working through the actual examples

User Info Menu

It has been a long time coming but the Johannes Haage interview is finally here.

The first 40 minutes discusses what Johannes got from the Mick Goodrick Almanacs etc.

The rest of the interview covers Johannes'excellent book Voice Motion.

Enjoy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Might be nice if it were less formal. Like I’m very into it but probably will be taking concepts out for a while rather than working through the actual examples
    Interestingly I have real trouble with study groups like this. I think I like to spend a lot of time on one thing. A LOT of time. I find groups move on too quick.

I’m quite thick you see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    Interestingly I have real trouble with study groups like this. I think I like to spend a lot of time on one thing. A LOT of time. I find groups move on too quick.

I’m quite thick you see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Me tooooooo

I take one example and then tinker with it in a gazillion possibly pointless ways for a month and a half and then get bored and put a bookmark in at example 1b and get into something different.

User Info Menu

Me tooooooo

I take one example and then tinker with it in a gazillion possibly pointless ways for a month and a half and then get bored and put a bookmark in at example 1b and get into something different.
    Thanks for making me laugh today.Pretty much summarizes this book.