The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ed Green cello
    Last edited by Mark Kleinhaut; 01-31-2024 at 08:37 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Fabulous!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Fabulous!
    Thank you!

User Info Menu

Hey Mark. I think you already know I love this stuff with Ed.

You mind if I geek out about gear for a minute? I used to play cello. Interesting tailpiece. Seems he has a transducer under the bass leg of the bridge. So what is that knob-like thing in his top? Can't be a volume control can it?

I'm guessing we're hearing a mix of pickups and room sound?

Anyways, you both play and sound really good. Feels like you're digging the new guitar a lot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Hey Mark. I think you already know I love this stuff with Ed.

You mind if I geek out about gear for a minute? I used to play cello. Interesting tailpiece. Seems he has a transducer under the bass leg of the bridge. So what is that knob-like thing in his top? Can't be a volume control can it?

I'm guessing we're hearing a mix of pickups and room sound?

Anyways, you both play and sound really good. Feels like you're digging the new guitar a lot.
    Thanks so much. That little black knob is actually a magnet that holds some kind of metal rod in the inside of the cello to dampen the top in such a way as to reduce wolf tones. I never noticed any issue before but Ed says it’s an improvement.

User Info Menu

Very impressive, thanks! This is bordering on, if not inside, contemporary classical music. The cello ought to have a more prominent role in jazz. Chamber jazz by a guitar-cello-double bass trio? Perhaps it's done, I just don't listen to music as much as I should.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Very impressive, thanks! This is bordering on, if not inside, contemporary classical music. The cello ought to have a more prominent role in jazz. Chamber jazz by a guitar-cello-double bass trio? Perhaps it's done, I just don't listen to music as much as I should.
    Thanks so much. I do really dig the sound of cello and guitar together. There is a very classical quality to the textures and the type of playing it evokes from us, but what we’re doing is 100% improvised. Not even a rough sketch or plan whatsoever, so from that side I still think of this as jazz fundamentally. Names and labels don’t really matter much in the end, however.