The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 27 of 27

User Info Menu

How many people can play anything they hear the first time they hear it ... then write it out perfectly in any key... I have only encountered one guy. That was 60 yrs ago . What little I know I learned from him .Jerry Glassel in Jackson MI. Player beyond belief Teacher at Ray lantz Music Both long gone RIP... mickmac

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mickmac
    How many people can play anything they hear the first time they hear it ... then write it out perfectly in any key... I have only encountered one guy. That was 60 yrs ago . What little I know I learned from him .Jerry Glassel in Jackson MI. Player beyond belief Teacher at Ray lantz Music Both long gone RIP... mickmac

I use to know lots of musicians, composers, arrangers who could. And performed with many... I think basically because of how most approach music for the last 3 decades, basically using tech. And we have taught ourselves not to develop those skill.

I still will hear something on the radio on way to gig and scratch out quick arrangement before we perform LOL.

Years ago... that's how we approached music. Having a good ear was just part of being a musician.

If we do something.... notate what we hear and check it out on instrument, eventually you become better.
    Part of my scholarship at berklee was to sit at a reel to reel and transcribe music, I worked in the ensemble room, earphones, notation paper and pen. I learned how to hear... and how to notate what I heard. I sucked at first, but got it together fast and I'm just average musician.

I also remember working in a Jazz Ensemble... The Bay Jazz Ensemble... basically network of players to fill gigs... anyway one of the groups I worked with had three guys who had perfect pitch... they would hear things differently but could spell out the notes.

What's worse... bad intonation or bad rhythmic skills?